Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how long does it take to adapt to this?
how long does it take to adapt to this?
I've been using CPAP for 2 months now. I still wake to fiddle with my mask and try to adjust the leaks out of it so much that I'm sure it adversely affects how much sleep I get.

I am using a PR Optilife nasal pillow - which is what the tech had me use for my titration study and was recommended by by sleep Dr.

How long should I give it before I ask to try something else?

And how long should these things last? Had a leak last night that just would not stop. Upon examination this morniing, I found a hole in the hose where it transitions to the mask holder. (If that means I need a new mask, I may demand to try something else... Annoyed-and-disappointed )
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how long does it take to adapt to this?
Hi Remo,
It can take quite a while but really, you haven't been at it very long, I know it probably seems like it though.
The mask can be the hardest part of the therapy.
Since you are about due for a new mask, you could ask to try something different and see if that helps.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Stick with it and best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It can take a while to get used to this, and although I was lucky and took to it right away, I still fiddled with it a bit. If you want to stay with nasal pillows, I suggest you give the Swift FX a try, it is pretty good and the head gear is both unobtrusive and helps ensure a leak-tight fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
The amount of time it takes to adjust? Well, that depends on the person. Some people can do in a few minutes, others can never do it. Those are the extremes, the vast majority of us fall somewhere in between.

Adjustment is not an event, it's a process. It took me a couple of months to reach the point where I felt I was getting as much sleep as I was getting before I started. I call it the crossover point. That was a year ago. I'm still adjusting, but throughout the adjustment process things improve.

Trying different masks and adjusting to them is a big part of this process. After trying a couple of different nasal masks at the beginning I quickly moved on to nasal pillows. I tried the Opus and then the ComfortLite2, and have switched back and forth between these two a few times. They each have features I like and features I don't. Adjusting the straps is also essential. Don't be afraid to tweak them and to try different sizes.

I'm still searching for that perfect nasal pillows mask.

Meanwhile, even though I still wake up several times during the night, I'm getting better sleep than I have in many many years. If you can live with sleep apnea you can live with CPAP therapy. And that's a good thing because you don't really have a choice. People who give up and put their CPAP machine in the closet are cowards who are not willing to fight for their lives.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
there is not time limit, as long as it takes
I've been since Nov 2010 and still adjusting
cpap therapy works, just for some require extra effort and more patience

if you have insurance, check with the insurance about replacement allowance
list of replacement description allowance
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc..._Hints.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Remo

It took me about a week to get used to sleeping with a CPAP machine. The mask and mask fit, in my opinion, is the most important part of the the whole theraphy that you need to get right. Yes pressure & humidity also play a role depending on the type of mask you choose. In the past I used the ResMed Ultra Mirage nasal mask without humidification. When I got my new S9 with humidification and heated ClimateLine tubing from ResMed, and gave nasal pillows a try.
Currently I would not exchange my Swift FX nasal pillows for a nasal mask. I can read & watch TV with my glasses on, do not have any pressure points on the bridge of my nose, and do not need to shave every two days to reduce mask leaks.
The only negative point is that the Swift FX is a bit louder then my old mask, but that only disturbs my girlfriend, if I fall asleep before she does....
So yes, make sure you try out various types of masks from different manufactures, until you find the one that works best for you.

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
Two months is more then long e'nuff time to determine that a mask is not going to work for you. Ask and receive a different one. Nasal pillows are usually the easiest to adapt to and the most to be leak-free..
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I call the mask the achilles heel of CPAP. Your mask problems should have smoothed out by now -I would suggest a different mask. Some suppliers have questionaires to aid you in choosing a mask. PM me if you need a name. They ask questions about what kind of sleeper you are and make suggestions. A good DME should have a tech who is knowledgeable in that field. When trying a new mask you generally have 30 days to decide if it works for you, if not you can exchange the mask.
Kudos for still hanging in there despite your difficulties. It's such a health benefit it's worth the effort.
Good luck,
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks every one for your replies - I do appreaciate them all.

Ironically, last night I had no leaks, except for the hole in the hose.

Normaly I am very methodical and deliberate in my experimentation. I document where everything is set and make incremental changes and document what the result is before planning another change. Last night, I guess out of frustration, I made some random changes, and one radical change to my headgear and nasal pillow without trying to make a "logical and measured" adjustment. Bingo.

Obviously, one "hit" does not make a trend, but this was the first "hit" since my titration study. In terms of leaks and morning nose comfort, this was better even than at the titration study.

Now, I am afraid to try a different mask. Oh-jeez My DME returned my call this morning and I opted to stay with the same mask - at least for now. They have a replacement (due to the hose leak) waiting for me to pick up later today.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went through I guess 6-8 masks in as many months before I found one I liked and could tolerate. Since then, I guess I've tried almost as many.

And yes, the mask is the Achilles Heel to this.

Just like with medication for a chronic condition, using a CPAP and mask can take a while to find the right combination. It's not something you take and go on like a vitamin. It's something to be regularly checked and constantly monitored. It is this that a lot of sleep docs drop the ball on. Mine never told me to come back and see him. So I didn't. Four years into it, I go through a major heart scare (blood pressure was beyond stroke risk level) and have a ton of tests (including a heart cath) until it comes down to my sleep apnea treatment needed to be changed. One night with an oximeter is all it took. Had I been regularly seeing him like I didn't know I should, it would have been caught sooner.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,810 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 448 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.