Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how long should I give this mask - dry mouth issue
how long should I give this mask - dry mouth issue
Cheers,

I started CPAP therapy with a FFM, because my mouth opens when I sleep; I am using the Dreamwear FFM. However, I am finding that about half the time, I am getting dry mouth despite humidification (and the humidifier is completely empty in the morning).  That said, this is early days for me, as I have been using the CPAP for only 5 days. I have tried using the Eliminator Sleep Cushion, but it has not stopped the issue.

I’m considering taping my mouth closed, but in that case, I will probably switch to the Dreamwear nasal mask. I don’t think that waiting before changing masks will improve the dry mouth, but I thought I would seek everyone’s advice. Should I give the FFM mask more time?

Part of the issue with my mouth is that I have a severed nerve from mandibular advancement chirurgery, and even under normal circumstances, my lips don’t meet well on one side. 

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how long should I give this mask - dry mouth issue
Try XyliMelts. You can pick them up online on Amazon. They help with dry mouth.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mouth breathing, which is what you are fighting can and frequently occurs even with a full face mask (FFM) though with an FFM it does not typically impact therapy since air is being delivered to both the mouth and nose.  If you mouth breath with an FFM it is not uncommon to get a dry mouth.

I was using a nasal mask and had a major issue with mouth breathing (I didn't realize it until this forum continually pointed it out.)  The best solution is the toungue technique, hold your tounge on the roof of your mouth. That effectively seals off air from your nasal passages from entering your mouth. The trouble with the technique is you need to learn it and that took me months.  During that period I taped my lips, keep in mind that the goal is not to shut the mouth but to seal the lips.  Taping is a controversial technique.  Make sure  can remove it if you feel the need.  Do use a tape designed to be used on human skin, duck tape is not recommended.  Bottom line is I use P10 nasal pillows with nothing else at this time.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a very busy mind, and find that I don't focus on the tongue-suck technique enough during the day.  It sort of works for me, but eventually my jaw goes slack and my lips separate, and it's game over for me.  I awaken to the rush of air (nasal mask user here) emitting from my mouth.  That's bad because it interferes with good rest exactly the same way, and with the same deleterious effects sleep-wise, as apnea does.  Might as well not have the PAP machine at all.  So...…………………………..I began to tape.  I have been taping ever since Day 2.

If you want to give it a try, get an suitable tape, ideally one resistant to water/spittle.  Resistant, not proof.  I use 3M Corp's Nexcare tape, 2.5 cm (one inch) wide in a plastic spool at most drug stores.  Tear off a strip near 5" long to get well past the corners of your mouth, and fold over a small tab to provide a quick and easy grab in case you want to remove it quickly.  Place the tab on the opposite side of your mouth as your dominant arm as it will reach over and grab and tear it away across your mouth.  When you do this, go slowish.  Too fast and you may tear the skin, particularly if you are recovering from a lesion such as a Herpes cold sore.

Always press the tape firmly across its surface to ensure a good and secure fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2018, 08:54 PM)bonjour Wrote: Mouth breathing, which is what you are fighting can and frequently occurs even with a full face mask (FFM) though with an FFM it does not typically impact therapy since air is being delivered to both the mouth and nose.  If you mouth breath with an FFM it is not uncommon to get a dry mouth.

I was using a nasal mask and had a major issue with mouth breathing (I didn't realize it until this forum continually pointed it out.)  The best solution is the toungue technique, hold your tounge on the roof of your mouth. That effectively seals off air from your nasal passages from entering your mouth. The trouble with the technique is you need to learn it and that took me months.  During that period I taped my lips, keep in mind that the goal is not to shut the mouth but to seal the lips.  Taping is a controversial technique.  Make sure  can remove it if you feel the need.  Do use a tape designed to be used on human skin, duck tape is not recommended.  Bottom line is I use P10 nasal pillows with nothing else at this time.

Thank you all for the info!

Bonjour, if I understand correctly, this technique depends on the lips sealing, yes? The tongue is put on the roof of the mouth or above the teeth, and one sucks to create a seal?

If so, I may have no choice but to resort to taping or the XyliMelts, although nothing stops me from working on the tongue technique. I say no choice because my lips do not quite seal as it is during daytime - it requires conscious effort on my part - and I anticipate some difficulty applying the technique.
Post Reply Post Reply
Actually the tongue Trick works even if the lips can't close. The air is blocked by the tongue. It works well if you can master it. I never was able to myself.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 321 7 hours ago
Last Post: pamm777
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 109 Yesterday, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Hurdsy
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 164 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Weird O2ring issue cps22 12 440 04-16-2024, 06:17 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 110 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 266 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  [CPAP] new AirCurve 10 does not give enough humidity FHTC 8 137 04-09-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.