Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how long to feel relief
how long to feel relief
Hi everyone first time poster, I have a question about Cpap use, the machine I have is a Fisher & Paykel Icon, it auto adjust and has built in humidifier, I have only been using it 2 days and so far I have been waking up feeling terrible, I have terrible dry mouth, feel foggy and tired, this morning when I awoke I looked at the screen to see what my pressure was and it was 12.4 no idea if this is high or not, also I thought the humidifier was suppose to help with dry mouth?, anyways I was wondering does it take time before you notice the effects of using a cpap or should i feel immediate relief?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how long to feel relief
Since it is Christmas Eve it may be tough to get a lot of responses. How long it takes depends on how well the machine is set up, how well the mask seals (and comfort) and how well you can adjust to CPAP.

The typical sequence is to first download sleep apnea software called OSCAR and then post screenshots of the results. I think the F&P Icon is a little older machine and not sure of the data or compatibility.

You need to get a clinical manual so you can make adjustments. You can request one from the AB site.

The quick and dirty view of an Auto CPAP is to set a range; i.e., 6-15 and not just 12.5. This is generally more comfortable since the pressure only goes up when an apnea starts.

You can control the amount of humidity once you get a manual. More humidity may reduce your dry mouth.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
It can and will vary from one person to the next, due to a variety of reasons, and/or other health issues at play.

I've been on CPAP therapy now for 15 months. I'm still waiting for it to kick in.  Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board.

Yes it can take some adjusting to get good results, both from you and the machine. Some get to feeling better sooner than others.

Assuming OSCAR is compatible with your Icon, download it and post a graph of a "daily" report. You'll need an SD card in your Icon to store data and transfer to your PC. This helps us on AB have info to help you edit machine settings to make the therapy better. As another mentioned if you've got an auto mode that has pressure ranges try 6-15 or thereabouts and see what data shows and note how you feel. You can also post detailed and redacted of personal info sleep study or titration reports.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Being new and only 2 days in you still have some time, and as others have said we are all different so your mileage will vary. It took me 2 weeks before I started feeling comfortable and good with my setup and could actually get a nights sleep. Still had to tweak the settings to get them right for me (Still doing that now to a lesser extent 2 months later.) There will be ups and downs, right now I am having a bad stretch of days with a sinus infection or something that is making use of therapy hard for me. You will need to stick with it and not quit. It is important to have your machine set properly for you and your comfort, just because someone sets certain setting for you, only you can say how you feel and you need to be your advocate. I started at fixed 12, now have a range of 12-18 but can honestly say I can not sleep at 18, so I changed it to a max of 17. There is no sense of using a machine that wont allow you to get a good nights sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it, the Machine I have is older because my brother gave it to me, I had a sleep study done in July and have been needing to get my machine they have called me a few times about fitting me, but the only issue is the cost, my insurance will cover the first 1000.00 with no cost to me but I used all of that up on doctor visits and it doesn't kick in again until 2020, if this machine I was given will do the job, I'm hoping I don't need a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! I'm sorry you've had a tough couple of days, but as others have said, it'll get better over time. You are doing great things for your health, so have patience! Immediate relief comes only to a few lucky people; the rest of us take longer to adjust, pay off our sleep "debt," and start feeling better.

I'm not sure whether your machine is supported by the Oscar software. On the Oscar wiki's list of supported machines, I see this:

Fisher & Paykel

Icon ??
Icon+ ??
Sleepstyle ??

I don't know how to interpret that, but if there's an SD card in your machine and you have a laptop or desktop for the software, I'd suggest giving it a try.

The humidity will keep your nasal passages comfortable, but if you're opening your mouth inside your mask, the humidifier can't prevent the dryness you're feeling. Can you keep your mouth closed and breathe through your nose? If so, you might try a soft cervical collar to keep your jaw up and/or a piece or two of micropore tape to keep your lips closed. Some people swear by Xylimelts, which stick onto your gum and melt slowly to keep your mouth more dry during the night.

Here's a question for you: where you read that your pressure was 12.4, did you also see a number for your AHI? If so, what was it? And if you had a sleep test before you got your machine, do you know what your AHI was then?

You've come to a great place for advice and help, so please keep us posted, would you?
Post Reply Post Reply
The CPAP 'experience' is a process...how long depends.
The first step is getting the mask issues sorted, then fine tuning the machine, then getting used to it all..
I'm two months in...I just had my second night of 7+ uninterrupted hours of sleep. A fine Christmas present.
So now the question is with two nights of good sleep under my belt how long will my body take to repair the damage from 30 years of bad sleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using for awhile. I definitely wake up refreshed. I use the nasal pillows and have a humidifier, but one of the results that I still get is dry mouth........think it is part of the price you pay.
Post Reply Post Reply
3 solutions for dry mouth if you're a mouth breather.

1- Lift tongue against palate behind upper teeth, little suction, practice, will take a while but for some it works.

2- Change mask. Get full face mask (f20) hybrid (f30) any mask that cover your mouth & nose confortable for you.

3- Not recommended by some but done by a lot: taping with medical tape.

sb.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 5 160 Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Last Post: jake79
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 164 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
Question Help! 40 days CPAP no symptom relief. What's wrong? cpapmj 2 122 04-14-2024, 02:16 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 265 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 471 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 187 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 977 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.