Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how to calculate pap %
RE: how to calculate pap %
Quote:So they actually look at the hours overall, and not the actual hours per night? So a person could sleep for 8hrs one night and legitimately skip the next night and still be compliant? That's just not right.

No, that's not what I meant - sorry if i wasn't clear. As Hydrangea said, you get credit for the nights you had > 4 hrs, and none for the nights you had < 4 hrs.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2017, 06:51 PM)sleeper77 Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.

So for me I sleep for 8 hrs every night, so how do I calculate my %?
At my work  it says to get one year DOT certificate,
my PAP should be > 70% and >4 hrs.
I sleep avg 8.5 hrs with  100% mask fit and .02 AHI so how do I figure it out my Pap%

For FAA (part of DOT), they want 1 year of data, > 70% at >=6 hrs.  That's my requirement.

For your case, it's >4 hrs.

In simple terms:

1 year = 365 days.

How many nights did you register >4 hrs?  If it's 300 nights, the compliance % is:  300/365 = 0.82, or 82%.

edit:

If you don't have a full year of data (actually a pretty common occurance), you take the total days for which you do have data, and use that number instead of the 365.  FAA really wants to see >90 days for the first time, but I think they will go as low as 60 days.  After that, you'll be expected to provide the 1-year data.

--

If you use Sleepyhead s/w, it's very simple to have it generate a 1 year report.  I am pretty sure that the default compliance value is 4 hrs, so it will automatically count every night you used CPAP > 4 hrs and use it in that calculation.  In my case I had to go into the report settings and change the compliance number from 4 to 6.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, so they don't take 365 nights x 4 hrs and want to see at least at least 1460 hrs used. They want to see the actual data and the nights themselves.

Good.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2017, 01:24 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Okay, so they don't take 365 nights x 4 hrs and want to see at least at least 1460 hrs used. They want to see the actual data and the nights themselves.

Good.

Prior to Jan 2016 FAA just wanted "compliance reports" over the most recent 90 days and whatever compliance % your CPAP was able to generate was good.

Jan 2016 the new FAA rules went into effect and specifically say that insurance compliance reports are not sufficient because they score at 4 hrs and not 6 and 90 days and not 1 year.  I had to dump a perfectly good Devilbiss and get a DreamStation because my Devilbiss would not record > 90 days, would not catch >6 hrs, and had no SD card for Sleepyhead to read.

I'm surprised DOT (over the FAA) doesn't have the same rules across the board.  Maybe the Teamsters have more pull than ALPA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to calculate CPAP watt hours used? cate1898 3 1,049 05-31-2023, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Vibratory snore index of 242! How does Philips Calculate VS and VS2? gwatuk 22 3,079 12-07-2021, 04:02 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Sleep report didn't measure for RDI. Can I still calculate the RDI? CentralApneaUser909 3 895 01-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.