Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how to calculate pap %
how to calculate pap %
I want to learn how to calculate PAP %?  (Which is more than 70%)
How to figure it out?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how to calculate pap %
Hi Sleeper77, welcome to Apnea Board.

I'm not clear what you mean by pap%, but I suspect you're thinking about the required compliance rate. Somebody (maybe a clinician, bureaucrats or the insurance industry) drew an arbitrary line which said that if you use your machine four or more hours per night then that is sufficient to treat your apnea. They went on to say that you need to achieve this four hours on at least 70% of nights in some defined period (maybe 30 days or 3 months).  So if you achieved four hours on 30 nights out of 30 that would be 100% compliance. If you only achieved 4 hours on 15 nights that would be 50%  

These numbers are quite arbitrary and are  just used as simplistic yardsticks to see if you've had sufficient use to allow the insurance company to pay for your machine, or maybe for the DOT to reinstate your drivers license, if that's applicable. We should be aiming for 100% in order to get proper treatment for our apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick reply.

So for me I sleep for 8 hrs every night, so how do I calculate my %?
At my work it says to get one year DOT certificate,
my PAP should be > 70% and >4 hrs.
I sleep avg 8.5 hrs with 100% mask fit and .02 AHI so how do I figure it out my Pap%
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask fit and AHI are irrelevant as far as compliance goes. It's just the percentage of nights you got more than 4 hours on the hose. To achieve the 70% requirement, you have to have 70% of the nights greater than four hours, which would be 70 nights in a 100 night period or 21 in a 30 night period. Over a full year you would need 70% x 365 = 255 nights.

If you're averaging 8 hours on the hose each night you shouldn't have too much trouble complying. I don't know much about DreamMapper but I assume it has some sort of compliance report which would calculate this for you. Otherwise you could try #SleepyHead, which can give you a compliance report and much more besides.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am just going by what would seem to make sense. If you took a 30 day period and you slept all nights with the machine on for more than 4 hours Your PAP% would be 100%. If only 25 nights you had the machine on for more than 4 hours then your PAP% would be 25/30=83.3%.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
You are using a Philips Respironics machine of some sort, and tracking your progress on DreamMapper software. More sophisticated software like EncoreBasic can calculate your compliance as doctors report it. EncoreBasic and #Sleepyhead are available from Apneaboard forum. DreamMapper is basically worthless.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So they actually look at the hours overall, and not the actual hours per night? So a person could sleep for 8hrs one night and legitimately skip the next night and still be compliant? That's just not right.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think DB has it right.  

I also take it to mean that DOT requirements of >4 hours a night for 70% of the time.

The question I have is what is the period of time do they look at?  Last 30 days, 90 days, a year?

sleeper77,
Just be sure you have a machine that will give you the data you need to prove compliance.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleeper77,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2017, 09:02 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: So they actually look at the hours overall, and not the actual hours per night? So a person could sleep for 8hrs one night and legitimately skip the next night and still be compliant? That's just not right.

My machine takes it by the day/night.  If I have a night with less than 4 hours on the hose, I don't get credit for that night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to calculate CPAP watt hours used? cate1898 3 1,049 05-31-2023, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Vibratory snore index of 242! How does Philips Calculate VS and VS2? gwatuk 22 3,079 12-07-2021, 04:02 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Sleep report didn't measure for RDI. Can I still calculate the RDI? CentralApneaUser909 3 895 01-10-2021, 09:22 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.