Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how to interpret sleep study report
how to interpret sleep study report
Hi, can you help me interpret the sleep study report?
I had 1 CA in REM, and 53 Hypopneas, all in NONREM. 2 of the events happened in non-supine position, 52 in supine (so I'm trying to sleep on my side when I can't handle the hose). Dr. said sidesleeping was an option for me. Diagnosis is mild sleep apnea.
Are hypopnea as bad as apneas?
I noticed the findings were intermittent moderate snoring in supine position; the doctor's summary letter says severe intermittent snoring in supine position (no idea why he changed withe results).
Oxygen levels all above 90%, SAo2 90-100%.
heart rate 44.7 to 56.6. Spent 14.4% of time in REM, 12.9 in stage IV...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how to interpret sleep study report
Could be your O2 levels not going lower than 90%.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Somebody on this forum once wrote "A hypopnea is an apnea that never grew up". It's a partial blockage of the airway whereas an apnea is a complete blockage. The requirement to score as a hypopnea seems to vary a bit but it's typically ~50% blockage for 10 seconds or more. So it's not as bad as an apnea but can still lead to lower O2 levels and if prolonged will disturb your sleep.

The good thing is that hypopneas can usually be treated by a mild increase in pressure or (in your case, probably) by side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are oxygen levels supposed to go down? I thought staying at 90 or above was a good thing (but I'm new to this)
Post Reply Post Reply
Staying at 90% and above is a good thing, that is only one part. I am moderate with 90% and above the entire time.
hypopnea has "some" air exchange which is better than apnea that is no air exchange
"when I can't handle the hose" have you tuned up the comfort settings on your machine, it should help you tolerate CPAP
"so I'm trying to sleep on my side " I try to do this also, but I always end up on my back for part of the night. I always have my CPAP on
most people refer to their AHI number and not to total apneas, so AHI of under 5/hour is considered good
don't worry about your 1 CA, as CA's tend to happen in REM all the time
your 53 hypopneas depends on over how long. 10 hours, pretty good. 5 hours, not so good.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 227 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 530 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.