Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how to tell if machine is " new "
RE: how to tell if machine is " new "
(04-05-2017, 07:19 PM)Sleepster Wrote: On the AirCurve 10 go to Settings>About and look at Run Hours.

Hi Sleepster

I recently joined this board again after years of absence because I know that this site gives some of the best BiPAP-CPAP information.

I have been using a ResMed S9 VPAP bilevel device, with a heated humidfier and climateline tubing etc., for many years and it works flawlessly for me with a typical AHI readings of less than 1.0.  I purchased the S9 brand new and know most of my settings by now and am very comfortable with the S9.  ResMed is clearly makes one of the best machines. 

Recently I purchased a "Brand New ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto" with Climate-Air etc from the same DME from years ago (~4-5 yrs) for ~$2100 cash.   I would like to ask Sleepster (or anyone else with the AirCurve 10 VAuto) for some advice regarding it's true condition.   In other words did I recieve a "New" AirCurve machine or not because of the following:

1.  This "new" A10 has a Total Run Hours listed on 041217 was exactly 124 hours yet at he same time it showed my Used Hrs was exactly 104 hours.  Used it for another ~3days and... 
2.  This "new" A10 has a Total Run Hours listed on 041517 was exactly 149 hours yet at he same time it showed my Used Hrs was exactly 125 hours.  Used it ~1 more time and ...
3.  This "new" A10 has a Total Run Hours listed on 041617 was exactly 157 hours yet at he same time it showed my Used Hrs was exactly 131 hours.

Doesn't this unit seem to be used rather than "New"? ie - by ~20-25 hours....

I have had a few other problems with this A10 unit.  The screen light is really dim and too dark to see at night when fussing with the settings.  Even when the room is lighted up the screen stays dark for about 2-3 mins before the sceen gets bright again..  Is this typical for the A10 screen, I can't find any place to disable the dimmer? 

The last problem is very bothersome because I do not have this problem with the S9.  I use identical settings on the S9 and A10, run in VAuto mode, 15/10 settings bilevel and the Climate Control in auto and manual in the S9 and A10, tube temp 79.  Problem is I cannot get the Humidifier set right on  the A10 an any setting in the manual mode, I either get too wet (with rainout in tubing) or too dry with irritation.   I do not have any of these problems with my S9.

I am thinking I not only got a used machine but I also got a lemon.  Tomorrow we are going to return the A10.  I could use any advice concerning getting back a full refund because I'd prefer to wait for the ResMed 11 to come out at this point and not too sure of getting another A10. I notified the DME of the problems after using it for a couple weeks on ~041217.

Any advice regarding the A10 would be appreciated.   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Tbear, welcome back.

Not too sure about the other issues but I don't think there is a problem with the hours. The machine will run for a while in cool down mode when your therapy is finished. It also runs for some time if you select warm up before going to bed. These warm up and cool down periods could easily add up to the discrepancy you're seeing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the a10 autoset. It's screen is also more dim than I would like when the lights are off and is a little slow to brighten when the lights are turned on.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great thread, good info, thankyou. Just tested my supposedly new machine I got. Run Hours is 36, but my total used hours is about 20. So that means it was used about 15 or so hours before me. My guess is since its an autoset machine, maybe it was used for someones 3 day home trial. Or Maybe its tested at equipment company for 15 hours before use. Either way no big deal imo.
Post Reply Post Reply
My A10 replaces my S9 VPAP Auto. I don't use the heated hose much so I can't compare. But otherwise the two machines seem to perform the same. The A10 is a good bit quieter but they are both quiet machines.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2017, 06:23 PM)richac Wrote: Great thread, good info, thankyou.  Just tested my supposedly new machine I got.  Run Hours is 36,   but my total used hours is about 20.   So that means it was used about 15 or so  hours before me.  My guess is since its an autoset machine,  maybe it was used for someones 3 day home trial.    Or Maybe its tested at equipment company for 15 hours before use.  Either way no big deal imo.

(04-17-2017, 07:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote: My A10 replaces my S9 VPAP Auto. I don't use the heated hose much so I can't compare. But otherwise the two machines seem to perform the same. The A10 is a good bit quieter but they are both quiet machines.

Many thanks for all the replys.

Sleepster - My main concern is that this new machine has ~24 hours of unaccounted for Useage which amounts to ~4 nights of usage.  I paid full price for what I thought was a brand new machine which shouldn't have more than 0.5 to 1 hour of Run time on it if it was new and tested at ResMed.

Does anyone think I have the right to ask for a new replacement machine from ResMed and what are the chances ResMed will agree?  I do not like getting a used machine at all....  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2017, 05:42 PM)C0mbe Wrote: I think the expectation on a new machine is "0" hours run time or blower.  I've never seen a new machine with anything other than 0 out of the box.  Granted I've not seen an extraordinary number of machines.

This is the way I think it should be for a 'Brand New ResMed" machine.  The Aircurve 10 VAUTO should have 0 or 1.0 "Run Hours" on it when it comes directly from ResMed.  Since my A10 had more than ~20 hours on it on 04-15-17, should I not ask Resmed for a replacement A10 that is truly New?    

(04-17-2017, 09:25 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Tbear, welcome back.

Not too sure about the other issues but I don't think there is a problem with the hours. The machine will run for a while in cool down mode when your therapy is finished. It also runs for some time if you select warm up before going to bed. These warm up and cool down periods could easily add up to the discrepancy you're seeing.

I checked with that possibity: the warm up is disabled and the cool down time is say ~30 min per session.  The last report of 041617 was for 21 used days out of 24.  My 131 hours of used time is still ~15+ hours less than the 157 Total Run hours of the A10.  So by any definition, I got a machine that was not new but had probably been used previously.
(04-17-2017, 08:49 PM)tbear Wrote:
(04-17-2017, 06:23 PM)richac Wrote: Great thread, good info, thankyou.  Just tested my supposedly new machine I got.  Run Hours is 36,   but my total used hours is about 20.   So that means it was used about 15 or so  hours before me.  My guess is since its an autoset machine,  maybe it was used for someones 3 day home trial.    Or Maybe its tested at equipment company for 15 hours before use.  Either way no big deal imo.

Sorry but I am afraid that getting a used machine instead of a new machine is a big deal to me when I clearly paid fpr a new one.  In addition, I think a used machine has more of a chance to be a lemon.  I really like ResMed alot, but I do not appreciate what was delivered in this particular case. 
(04-17-2017, 07:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote: My A10 replaces my S9 VPAP Auto. I don't use the heated hose much so I can't compare. But otherwise the two machines seem to perform the same. The A10 is a good bit quieter but they are both quiet machines.

Many thanks for all the replys.

Sleepster - My main concern is that this new machine has ~24 hours of unaccounted for Useage which amounts to ~4 nights of usage.  I paid full price for what I thought was a brand new machine which shouldn't have more than 0.5 to 1 hour of Run time on it if it was new and tested at ResMed.

Does anyone think I have the right to ask for a new replacement machine from ResMed and what are the chances ResMed will agree?  I do not like getting a used machine at all....  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with you. If I'm paying for a new machine, I want a new machine.

But personally, I think the time to go to battle on that was earlier on. Now that you've put 130+ hours on it, 25 extra hours really isn't much of a dent.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you use the machine for 8 hours a night for 5 years (a conservative estimate of its life) the value of that 24 hours is a little under $5. If the machine is working well, are you sure you want to pursue this for so little. I understand the principle, but as Hydrangea pointed out, after 130 hours it will be an uphill battle to make a convincing case. I discovered after a couple of months that my machine probably had 30-35 hours on it when I got it. It works fine. Showed no evidence of use. I decided it wasn't worth the effort to raise the issue. The lesson learned is to check the run hours before accepting the machine. My wife is about to have a sleep study and that's what I'll do for her.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
It seems like its normal for these machines.  everyone in this thread got a machine that already had 15-25 hours on it.   I have a feeling its impossible to get a new machine.  Maybe it needs to be tested first before its rented out maybe? Maybe thats part of the quality control? Wonder if its same thing for dreamstations.  Definitely interesting topic though.

I'm on my 3rd machine from the dme, complained about the first two.  He swore up and down this one was new.  But yet it has 15 hours on it.  Also from OP has said, it seems run hours is not even that accurate.  It adds extra hours over time it seems.

The probably I've had on my last two,  is the ahi reads 0.0 sometimes, and thats impossibly for me trust me lol.  One worked for a week and then i had to keep unplugging it and plugging it back in then just totally stoppoed showing ahi for the next week....    I also have mask shake problems which is how I know when ahi is not working.  I have a problem remembering to breathe,  and I think now I'm coming to the grim reality,  that is not the machines fault its a sign that my breathing is very messed up, I think anyways the only people who understand what the machine is doing is some of the mods on these forums.  Because my doctors, the sleep lab, and the dme company have no idea what to tell me.    Maybe I am having CA's that cause the mask to shake on my face, it happens when I'm not breathing.  I take like a second to inhale, to me it seems like its jumping the gun, but maybe its me not breathing enough and having respiratory problems.  I wake up alot with the tightness in my chest.    I don't even know what to do anymore.

Is it true you only get these machines or supplies with a script?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,192 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,796 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,757 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,250 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.