Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how to tell if machine is " new "
RE: how to tell if machine is " new "
(04-17-2017, 08:49 PM)tbear Wrote: My main concern is that this new machine has ~24 hours of unaccounted for Useage which amounts to ~4 nights of usage.  

That's just hours of testing at the factory or some such business. There are laws that regulate the selling of a machine that's been used by another patient. I doubt that's the case.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 10:11 PM)richac Wrote: It seems like its normal for these machines.  everyone in this thread got a machine that already had 15-25 hours on it.   I have a feeling its impossible to get a new machine.  Maybe it needs to be tested first before its rented out maybe? Maybe thats part of the quality control? Wonder if its same thing for dreamstations.  Definitely interesting topic though.

I'm on my 3rd machine from the dme, complained about the first two.  He swore up and down this one was new.  But yet it has 15 hours on it.  Also from OP has said, it seems run hours is not even that accurate.  It adds extra hours over time it seems.

Well, when was the last time you bought a brand new car whose odometer showed 0 miles (or kilometers depending where you live)?

I imagine they have to test the machinery for a few hours to make sure it will work properly, just sayin'...
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2017, 10:11 PM)richac Wrote: It seems like its normal for these machines.  everyone in this thread got a machine that already had 15-25 hours on it.   I have a feeling its impossible to get a new machine.  Maybe it needs to be tested first before its rented out maybe? Maybe thats part of the quality control? Wonder if its same thing for dreamstations.  Definitely interesting topic though.

Both DreamStations I've received have had zero blower hours on them when I received them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Folks

Much Aloha for all the replys. I just contacted ResMed (or tried to) and the only response I got was to take the issues back up with my DME. I did manage to tell me that ResMed would never send out a unit with anything but zero Run Hours on it because it is against the law and I believe them. They also told me that they don't ever deal with the patients at all except for repairs etc. Curiously, when I requested a copy of the A10 shipping date sent to my DME, according to the unit serial number, ResMed could not give that information out to the patient even though I am the person who bought it. I think if my doctor asked for this information perhaps I would get it.

So the extra hours on my A10 had to come from the DME using the machine prior to my getting it. The tech at my DME has already admitted that he only set my IPAP and EPAP settings and that is all he did.

The other problems I have with this machine are 1) The screen stays so dim at night it can't be read and I cannot adjust the brightness; 2) Even when the lights come on to check the settings in the middle of the night, it takes 2-3 minutes for the screen to brighten up; 3) This A10 seems to have a problem with humidity settings and I have tried everything so it is unuseable to me as is; and 4) My main complaint here is that I got an A10 that was clearly used; however we paid for a Brand New A10 unit by credit card. My DME has flat out told us that all sales are final period and they cannot help us at all. This is unacceptabe to us.

I have years if experience with my Resmed S9 VPAP Auto, which I switched back to using and have 0 issues with this machine.

Bottom line, since we haven't gotten any satisfactory response from our DME, we have issued a dispute with my credit card company against this DME and are demanding that they accept a return of this unit and give us a full refund. It is definitely not about the money but the fact that we were lied to by our DME and we will not stand for this. Also, which should not be a surprise to anyone, we don't want to deal with this DME ever again.

Thanks. I will try to keep you updated if anybody is interested.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2017, 04:06 PM)kensch Wrote: There is a scam going on purchasing ' new ' cpap machines from medical equipment suppliers. I chased the rabbit all day trying to insure that the cpap machine I was going to order with doctors script was a brand new machine. The dirty little secret is the supplier don't want to commit to that. They say you could get a new or used machine depending on what was on hand when your order was placed. "There  is no guarantee you would get a new machine but it is possible."

One or more 'managers' actually hung up on me when I pressed the question. Of course the first line of sales always said it would be a new machine. What people do for a paycheck! Disturbing.

Question to this group is how do I really know if the machine I receive is a brand new machine from the manufacture or a 'cleaned' up used machine. To those who don't really think this is an issue, first think about the deceit, and second an example. When the suppliers "guy" came out to get my other new machine(because I said I didn't want it because of a disturbing droning noise, he took it, dropping it from 4 feet on my kitchen ceramic tile floor before he packed it up and left. Wonder who got that one?

I thought maybe these things would have some kind of nonvolatile hour meter inside somewhere. But according to RESMED they do not.

Any help?
Thanks.

And by the way I would like to thank kensch for starting this thread which I found particilarly useful for my "New vs Used Bipap" problem that I am having with my DME.

I now know that I could have checked this unit more carefully at first, but being ~5 years since my last puchase and not being familar with this new A10 settings, I just took the DME's word for it that the system would be "Brand Spanking New" which was a mistake on my part.  It wasn't until I used the system for a couple of weeks and reading info from this forum that I discovered it was actually used and had other problems.

Hopefully my experience will be useful to someone else.
Aloha and Mahalo (thanks) again for this very interesting thread!   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,040 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,850 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,339 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,785 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 6,278 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.