Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: airfit p10
Humidifier: airsense
CPAP Pressure: 11-8
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: huge difference(s) changing from ffm to pillow
I'm going the other way started with the wisp but had leaks. Next was the p10 love it no leaks can hardly tell it on but I've been blowing air out my mouth and the chon strap isn't helping so Monday if the setting changes don't work it off to ffm hell . Also have you changed the mask type setting ? That should adjust the system for you.
03-27-2015 05:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Mich Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Wisp/Resmed F10 on standby 4 allergy season
Humidifier: Airsense 10 humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 7-11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Mask recommendations: 1) Wisp 2) Eson (Avoid P10 and N10)

Sex: Female

(03-27-2015 05:36 AM)k_ogre Wrote:  I'm going the other way started with the wisp but had leaks. Next was the p10 love it no leaks can hardly tell it on but I've been blowing air out my mouth and the chon strap isn't helping so Monday if the setting changes don't work it off to ffm hell . Also have you changed the mask type setting ? That should adjust the system for you.

You might want to give the Eson a try also. It has the head support that gives it more stability and I think the nasal cushion has the best shape in my limited experience... it seems to have wings going inwards. Where I use a s/m in the wisp, it corresponds to the small with the Eson.
03-27-2015 05:59 AM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Sex: Undisclosed

Full face masks press on the jaw. Some people say this can cause the jaw to move back and cause your tongue to block the airway in some people.

It's sort of like an oral appliance, but it makes your apnea worse rather than better.

It makes sense of what happens, but it might or might not be the real cause. Some people do have worse apnea with a FFM, some don't.

There's a lot of trial and error in CPAP and apnea.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
03-27-2015 06:22 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
worn_out_in_lebanon Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F20 (newest Resmed ffm)
Humidifier: Included, ClimateLine tubing
CPAP Pressure: 13-15, EPR:0

Other Comments: I.T. Project Manager. Started CPAP therapy March 16, 2015. Untreated AHI 39.

(03-27-2015 05:36 AM)k_ogre Wrote:  but I've been blowing air out my mouth and the chin strap isn't helping so Monday if the setting changes don't work it off to ffm hell .

Also have you changed the mask type setting? That should adjust the system for you.

Hopefully you'll get it worked out one way or the other. Smile

I did change the mask type. I figured that would have done whatever compensation was needed.

EPR might have been part of it, with the extra space in the mask to fill. When I would exhale, the mask would fall (as the pressure was reduced by EPR). And when I would inhale, the mask would rise - but only a little, unless I continued to force the inhalation.

With a long protracted inhalation, the mask would rise quite a bit and I could feel the extra pressure come back fully - so possibly the recovery of pressure after EPR didn't respond fast enough to hit the upper target before the next exhale came along. Meaning I wasn't really running at the upper pressure indicated by the range - when I was using the ffm. (makes me want to hook up a gauge and see exactly what pressures were at the mask...)

(03-27-2015 06:22 AM)archangle Wrote:  Full face masks press on the jaw. Some people say this can cause the jaw to move back and cause your tongue to block the airway in some people.

It's sort of like an oral appliance, but it makes your apnea worse rather than better.

It makes sense of what happens, but it might or might not be the real cause. Some people do have worse apnea with a FFM, some don't.

There's a lot of trial and error in CPAP and apnea.

Good points. Smile
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2015 07:31 AM by worn_out_in_lebanon.)
03-27-2015 07:30 AM
DanielB Offline

New Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 12
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Hi worn_out_in_lebanon

I'm having a similar problem. I'm new to CPAP, tried the Mirage FX Nasal Mask for the first month. Clinically was working good, leaks were around 15 L/H, and AHI around 1. But I'm a side sleeper and I kept pushing the mask again the pillow making it leak, waking me up and waking my wife. Plus I hated the forehead rest, it gives me claustrophobia. So I'm trying the Airfit P10 now. Love the headset, it so light, and it is so silent sometimes I think the machine has stopped. It took me a while to get rid of seal problems, which solved using lanolin and changing the position of the hose, now I have it coming from behind my pillow, so it doesn't get dragged by myself moving or the blanket. Then my leak levels started to get off the charts, and I found out air it was coming out of my mouth (which was not happening with the nasal mask). Don't have a chinstrap yet (it's on it's way) but I tried taping my mouth with medical tape. Leaks went down to 10 L/H, but now my AHI has gone up to +/-4.5. I hope the chin strap works because having my mouth taped is a horrible feeling.

I'm worried about the AHI going up as it did, I'll try this method for at least a week and see how it goes, plus I'll ask my doctor about it.

I really want to make the P10 work, it's so minimalist, silent and comfortable for me.

I hope you figure out what's best for you soon.

Thanks to everyone for all the info, this forum help is incredible. It really makes a difference.
03-30-2015 01:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
worn_out_in_lebanon Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F20 (newest Resmed ffm)
Humidifier: Included, ClimateLine tubing
CPAP Pressure: 13-15, EPR:0

Other Comments: I.T. Project Manager. Started CPAP therapy March 16, 2015. Untreated AHI 39.

Daniel - yes I really like being able to get on my side with the P10. Smile

I'm still leaking some even with the chin strap. I think I had 20 large leaks last night according to SH, but some were very short lived. There were a couple of very long ones too. (like 20 minutes) I'm still trying to make the Ruby work (had it tightened down pretty good last night) but may go back to the basic Ace bandage approach.

I had my very first 1.x AHI last night which is a plus.

But still waking up a lot (maybe 15 times) during the night, so still not feeling rested yet.

You're right, there is a ton of information on this forum.
03-30-2015 02:51 PM
FLcracker Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Philips PR System One REMstar Auto 60 Series
Mask Make & Model: F&P Opus 360
Humidifier: Came Attached
CPAP Pressure: 9.5 - 12

Other Comments: Resident Thread Killer

If the attachment worked, I'll bet you can see the exact date that Mizz Cracker switched from FFM to Nasal Pillow. She'd tried her best with two different FFM's and never had much luck with them sealing properly. Many leaks, even using both store-bought and homemade seals plus extra 'tie-downs'.

Once she chose her NP set, (F&P Opus) which came with the three basic S/M/L pillows, she finds that the NP works best for her, and her AHI's have remarkably improved...Excepting the days when our local pollen content is through the roof...She and I are both troubled with allergies that time of year. Her sinus problems are even worse than mine...

She also uses Nasacourt 120 before retiring, and a basic lip balm applied by finger to each of the nostril tips on the pillow, butter rum & vanilla bean being her 'flavors of choice', says they add a nice oder to the incoming air, plus extra sealing factor. And occasionally a shot of liquid Benadryl as needed.

Knowing that nothing works the same for everyone, but the switching to NP's has sure shown to be the best so far for her. She also finds them to be much more comfortable to use than either of the FFM's she has.

FLc
04-02-2015 10:58 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

FLcracker,
Good to hear that Mizz Cracker is loving her Nasal Pillows.
I also suffer during allergy season as do many here. Trying to update my medicine cabinet with whatever I might need, instead of waiting until I'm suffering. I would like to add that in my case, even if I am congested, the nasal pillow mask still works just fine.
OpalRose
Smile

OpalRose
04-02-2015 01:12 PM
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

@Daniel - while you are waiting for a chin strap, you might try an ace bandage strip, you can adjust tightness to suit your own comfort level. if it is adjusted just enough to apply a light pressure, you can still force your mouth open at any time you wish.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
04-02-2015 03:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Nasal pillow life unofon 5 415 11-26-2016 03:27 PM
Last Post: unofon
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,260 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  respironics pillow covers? metropical 3 241 11-08-2016 11:02 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question CHANGING MACHINES - SD CARD srlevine1 3 232 10-31-2016 07:11 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Nasal pillow Vs full face unofon 4 492 10-27-2016 09:12 AM
Last Post: unofon
  [Equipment] Modding Resmed FX pillow mask, no turbo air flow DaveDog 9 345 10-23-2016 08:09 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask? Spy Car 40 2,173 10-15-2016 06:11 AM
Last Post: rwelliot