Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

huge difference(s) changing from ffm to pillow
huge difference(s) changing from ffm to pillow
Last week I used a Resmed Quattro Air. It leaked a lot and I couldn't sleep on my side. But it stopped most of the OA's and HA's. Even though I was still running 10-13 AHI (via CA's mostly).

Yesterday my Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask arrived. I used it last night. It sealed great, was comfortable, and I could sleep on my side.

But as far as settings, I had to change everything... I didn't expect the changes to be so big or noticeable.

First thing was during the "mask fit" test. I couldn't breathe back against it. I had been running 10-15 with the ffm. At first I thought there was no exhaust vent on the mask, that's how hard it was. I reduced the settings a couple of times before going to bed, and one more time in the middle of the night when I woke up feeling like my chest was fatigued. I landed on 7-10. Woke up a couple of times feeling like it was too much pressure, and it was only blowing 9 at the time. So I may need to lower the max some more. Lowering it a little more it will be cpap vs apap. 7-9 or even 7-8. But if that works, it's fine with me.

Changed EPR from 2 to 3. Couldn't tell any difference. With the ffm the EPR effect was very pronounced. With the pillow I couldn't pick up on it at all. It was equally difficult to breathe out either way. (using the large size pillows by the way)

Humidity and temp - with the ffm it felt like a cool, slightly damp morning. With the nasal pillow I felt like I was in a sauna - it was hot and sticky. Dropped humidity from 6 to 4, and dropped temp from 82 to 72. That seemed to be okay. Not as cool as the ffm, but adequate.

Performance: No OA's at all. Smile Only 1 HA.
But my AHI went up from 8 the night before on the ffm, to 13 last night on the pillow mask. 120 CA's. My chest feels "tired" this morning.

Used the "ace bandage" chinstrap method the first few hours. That worked great - no mouth leaks at all. But I woke up about 1:30 with a little pain/tension in my jaw. It wasn't that tight, I could easily talk with it on. But because of the jaw pain starting up already, I took it off - thinking I didn't need it anyway since I had zero mouth leaks up to that point.

I bet I woke up 40 times after that, with air blowing out of my mouth. It was like OA in reverse... Instead of waking up gasping, I was waking up from a blowhole going off. Smile Sleepyhead showed a ton of leaks after I took off the chinstrap, even more than the ones I remember waking up from. So it's going back on tonight. And a ruby is in the mail.

I think the nasal pillow is going to work much better overall. Just have to finish getting it dialed in, and getting used to it.

I pre-emptively put on some Lansinoh right from the start. Followed the included directions to the letter. Although it was "titilatting" to apply, I didn't see how that was going to help one bit. Cool :grin: (no seriously I applied it appropriately, and I think it helped a lot, I had one spot that felt like it definitely would have been sore without it)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: huge difference(s) changing from ffm to pillow
(03-24-2015, 09:26 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: Last week I used a Resmed Quattro Air. It leaked a lot and I couldn't sleep on my side. But it stopped most of the OA's and HA's. Even though I was still running 10-13 AHI (via CA's mostly).

Yesterday my Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask arrived. I used it last night. It sealed great, was comfortable, and I could sleep on my side.

But as far as settings, I had to change everything... I didn't expect the changes to be so big or noticeable.

First thing was during the "mask fit" test. I couldn't breathe back against it. I had been running 10-15 with the ffm. At first I thought there was no exhaust vent on the mask, that's how hard it was. I reduced the settings a couple of times before going to bed, and one more time in the middle of the night when I woke up feeling like my chest was fatigued. I landed on 7-10. Woke up a couple of times feeling like it was too much pressure, and it was only blowing 9 at the time. So I may need to lower the max some more. Lowering it a little more it will be cpap vs apap. 7-9 or even 7-8. But if that works, it's fine with me.

Changed EPR from 2 to 3. Couldn't tell any difference. With the ffm the EPR effect was very pronounced. With the pillow I couldn't pick up on it at all. It was equally difficult to breathe out either way. (using the large size pillows by the way)

Humidity and temp - with the ffm it felt like a cool, slightly damp morning. With the nasal pillow I felt like I was in a sauna - it was hot and sticky. Dropped humidity from 6 to 4, and dropped temp from 82 to 72. That seemed to be okay. Not as cool as the ffm, but adequate.

Performance: No OA's at all. Smile Only 1 HA.
But my AHI went up from 8 the night before on the ffm, to 13 last night on the pillow mask. 120 CA's. My chest feels "tired" this morning.

Used the "ace bandage" chinstrap method the first few hours. That worked great - no mouth leaks at all. But I woke up about 1:30 with a little pain/tension in my jaw. It wasn't that tight, I could easily talk with it on. But because of the jaw pain starting up already, I took it off - thinking I didn't need it anyway since I had zero mouth leaks up to that point.

I bet I woke up 40 times after that, with air blowing out of my mouth. It was like OA in reverse... Instead of waking up gasping, I was waking up from a blowhole going off. Smile Sleepyhead showed a ton of leaks after I took off the chinstrap, even more than the ones I remember waking up from. So it's going back on tonight. And a ruby is in the mail.

I think the nasal pillow is going to work much better overall. Just have to finish getting it dialed in, and getting used to it.

I pre-emptively put on some Lansinoh right from the start. Followed the included directions to the letter. Although it was "titilatting" to apply, I didn't see how that was going to help one bit. Cool :grin: (no seriously I applied it appropriately, and I think it helped a lot, I had one spot that felt like it definitely would have been sore without it)

When you get the chance, try the Respironics Wisp mask, as much as I really like the P10, I am looking at performance, I want to get as close to AHI 0.0 as possible. Last night with the wisp: 0.34 AHI , my best AHI score ever with the P10 was 3.67 according to sleepyhead. It is such a good feeling in the morning when events are kept to a minimum!

Good luck to you! Soon you will consider reviewing your nickname from worn out to "ready to go" in Lebanon!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi worn_out_in_lebanon,
Hopefully, you will have Better success tonight with getting your settings dialed in for your new mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 09:54 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi worn_out_in_lebanon,
Hopefully, you will have Better success tonight with getting your settings dialed in for your new mask.

Thank you Trish!

It's great how you support and encourage everyone who comes here. Smile

(03-24-2015, 09:38 AM)Mich Wrote: When you get the chance, try the Respironics Wisp mask, as much as I really like the P10, I am looking at performance, I want to get as close to AHI 0.0 as possible. Last night with the wisp: 0.34 AHI , my best AHI score ever with the P10 was 3.67 according to sleepyhead. It is such a good feeling in the morning when events are kept to a minimum!

Thanks for that tip Mich. One problem I had with the ffm is pain on the bridge of my nose, so if I can get the pillow style to work, I will probably stop here. I'm also curious about the cloth style masks too (like the Elan), as another option.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2015, 09:38 AM)Mich Wrote: Good luck to you! Soon you will consider reviewing your nickname from worn out to "ready to go" in Lebanon!

I'm looking forward to that day! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Kept the chin strap on all night last night. Worked much better. AHI of 4. (new record low for me so far)

Still surprised at the big difference in the pressure range. Needed 10-15 with the ffm. Only 6-9 with the pillow. Thought that was kind of weird. (but definitely not complaining) Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck in your journey for the perfect mask!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good job on trying new and different ways to get a good nights sleep!

For me, lanolin did not work; I found the beeswax lip balm by Burt's to work much better. But, each person is different.
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
It's weird how the pillows and nasal masks seem to perform at a lower pressure than a full face one. Makes me wonder how someone not using an Autoset machine copes with fi ding their right pressure. I have all of the Airsense 10 masks and can chop and change nightly and sometimes within the night. I still prefer the F10 though as I am traditionally a mouth breather.
Something unknown is doing we don't know what.
(Professor Sir Arthur Eddington, astrophysicist)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 04:23 AM)swaziman Wrote: It's weird how the pillows and nasal masks seem to perform at a lower pressure than a full face one. Makes me wonder how someone not using an Autoset machine copes with fi ding their right pressure. I have all of the Airsense 10 masks and can chop and change nightly and sometimes within the night. I still prefer the F10 though as I am traditionally a mouth breather.

I think the different pressure for the different masks is determined in part by how much "dead space" the mask has to have in order for carbon dioxide to be expelled properly or something to that effect.

Congratulations on your quest!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,233 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,858 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.