Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

huge difference(s) changing from ffm to pillow
RE: huge difference(s) changing from ffm to pillow
I'm going the other way started with the wisp but had leaks. Next was the p10 love it no leaks can hardly tell it on but I've been blowing air out my mouth and the chon strap isn't helping so Monday if the setting changes don't work it off to ffm hell . Also have you changed the mask type setting ? That should adjust the system for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 05:36 AM)k_ogre Wrote: I'm going the other way started with the wisp but had leaks. Next was the p10 love it no leaks can hardly tell it on but I've been blowing air out my mouth and the chon strap isn't helping so Monday if the setting changes don't work it off to ffm hell . Also have you changed the mask type setting ? That should adjust the system for you.

You might want to give the Eson a try also. It has the head support that gives it more stability and I think the nasal cushion has the best shape in my limited experience... it seems to have wings going inwards. Where I use a s/m in the wisp, it corresponds to the small with the Eson.
Post Reply Post Reply
Full face masks press on the jaw. Some people say this can cause the jaw to move back and cause your tongue to block the airway in some people.

It's sort of like an oral appliance, but it makes your apnea worse rather than better.

It makes sense of what happens, but it might or might not be the real cause. Some people do have worse apnea with a FFM, some don't.

There's a lot of trial and error in CPAP and apnea.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 05:36 AM)k_ogre Wrote: but I've been blowing air out my mouth and the chin strap isn't helping so Monday if the setting changes don't work it off to ffm hell .

Also have you changed the mask type setting? That should adjust the system for you.

Hopefully you'll get it worked out one way or the other. Smile

I did change the mask type. I figured that would have done whatever compensation was needed.

EPR might have been part of it, with the extra space in the mask to fill. When I would exhale, the mask would fall (as the pressure was reduced by EPR). And when I would inhale, the mask would rise - but only a little, unless I continued to force the inhalation.

With a long protracted inhalation, the mask would rise quite a bit and I could feel the extra pressure come back fully - so possibly the recovery of pressure after EPR didn't respond fast enough to hit the upper target before the next exhale came along. Meaning I wasn't really running at the upper pressure indicated by the range - when I was using the ffm. (makes me want to hook up a gauge and see exactly what pressures were at the mask...)

(03-27-2015, 06:22 AM)archangle Wrote: Full face masks press on the jaw. Some people say this can cause the jaw to move back and cause your tongue to block the airway in some people.

It's sort of like an oral appliance, but it makes your apnea worse rather than better.

It makes sense of what happens, but it might or might not be the real cause. Some people do have worse apnea with a FFM, some don't.

There's a lot of trial and error in CPAP and apnea.

Good points. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi worn_out_in_lebanon

I'm having a similar problem. I'm new to CPAP, tried the Mirage FX Nasal Mask for the first month. Clinically was working good, leaks were around 15 L/H, and AHI around 1. But I'm a side sleeper and I kept pushing the mask again the pillow making it leak, waking me up and waking my wife. Plus I hated the forehead rest, it gives me claustrophobia. So I'm trying the Airfit P10 now. Love the headset, it so light, and it is so silent sometimes I think the machine has stopped. It took me a while to get rid of seal problems, which solved using lanolin and changing the position of the hose, now I have it coming from behind my pillow, so it doesn't get dragged by myself moving or the blanket. Then my leak levels started to get off the charts, and I found out air it was coming out of my mouth (which was not happening with the nasal mask). Don't have a chinstrap yet (it's on it's way) but I tried taping my mouth with medical tape. Leaks went down to 10 L/H, but now my AHI has gone up to +/-4.5. I hope the chin strap works because having my mouth taped is a horrible feeling.

I'm worried about the AHI going up as it did, I'll try this method for at least a week and see how it goes, plus I'll ask my doctor about it.

I really want to make the P10 work, it's so minimalist, silent and comfortable for me.

I hope you figure out what's best for you soon.

Thanks to everyone for all the info, this forum help is incredible. It really makes a difference.

Post Reply Post Reply
Daniel - yes I really like being able to get on my side with the P10. Smile

I'm still leaking some even with the chin strap. I think I had 20 large leaks last night according to SH, but some were very short lived. There were a couple of very long ones too. (like 20 minutes) I'm still trying to make the Ruby work (had it tightened down pretty good last night) but may go back to the basic Ace bandage approach.

I had my very first 1.x AHI last night which is a plus.

But still waking up a lot (maybe 15 times) during the night, so still not feeling rested yet.

You're right, there is a ton of information on this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=1386]

If the attachment worked, I'll bet you can see the exact date that Mizz Cracker switched from FFM to Nasal Pillow. She'd tried her best with two different FFM's and never had much luck with them sealing properly. Many leaks, even using both store-bought and homemade seals plus extra 'tie-downs'.

Once she chose her NP set, (F&P Opus) which came with the three basic S/M/L pillows, she finds that the NP works best for her, and her AHI's have remarkably improved...Excepting the days when our local pollen content is through the roof...She and I are both troubled with allergies that time of year. Her sinus problems are even worse than mine...

She also uses Nasacourt 120 before retiring, and a basic lip balm applied by finger to each of the nostril tips on the pillow, butter rum & vanilla bean being her 'flavors of choice', says they add a nice oder to the incoming air, plus extra sealing factor. And occasionally a shot of liquid Benadryl as needed.

Knowing that nothing works the same for everyone, but the switching to NP's has sure shown to be the best so far for her. She also finds them to be much more comfortable to use than either of the FFM's she has.

FLc
Post Reply Post Reply
FLcracker,
Good to hear that Mizz Cracker is loving her Nasal Pillows.
I also suffer during allergy season as do many here. Trying to update my medicine cabinet with whatever I might need, instead of waiting until I'm suffering. I would like to add that in my case, even if I am congested, the nasal pillow mask still works just fine.
OpalRose
Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Daniel - while you are waiting for a chin strap, you might try an ace bandage strip, you can adjust tightness to suit your own comfort level. if it is adjusted just enough to apply a light pressure, you can still force your mouth open at any time you wish.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 246 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea NewlyDiagnosed 8 399 02-26-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 263 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.