Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

humidification water?
RE: humidification water?
Again thanks Walla Walla,  my question is now answered thanks to you.  Have a great Friday and a better weekend.
-------------------------------------------------
Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!   

Bryce the BiPAPman
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using distilled mostly and some purified water that Publix claims can be used in any appliance that requires distilled water (good luck to their legal team on that). In any case, I rinsed my humidifier tank today and dried it with tissues. I found a red residue on the tissue that I couldn't see with my eyes. I'm going to try to pinpoint which water caused the buildup.....just because it's probably safer to use cleaner water.

Try my tissue test on your tank.....it might surprise you as much as it surprised me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2017, 03:32 PM)ghstudio Wrote: I've been using distilled mostly and some purified water that Publix claims can be used in any appliance that requires distilled water (good luck to their legal team on that).  In any case, I rinsed my humidifier tank today and dried it with tissues.  I found a red residue on the tissue that I couldn't see with my eyes.  I'm going to try to pinpoint which water caused the buildup.....just because it's probably safer to use cleaner water.

Try my tissue test on your tank.....it might surprise you as much as it surprised me.

like   Great idea!  My wife takes care of the tank each nite and I do not know if she wipes it out each nite or not.  Will suggest she do that tonite with my old machine and see what we get on the tissue or paper towel.  Will let you know how it works.
-------------------------------------------------
Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite!   

Bryce the BiPAPman
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2017, 03:32 PM)ghstudio Wrote: I've been using distilled mostly and some purified water that Publix claims can be used in any appliance that requires distilled water (good luck to their legal team on that).  In any case, I rinsed my humidifier tank today and dried it with tissues.  I found a red residue on the tissue that I couldn't see with my eyes.  I'm going to try to pinpoint which water caused the buildup.....just because it's probably safer to use cleaner water.

The pink residue is a common, nontoxic biofilm, and it is very common where surfaces remain wet, even with clean water. I have seen this in baths, swimming pools and my own humidifier.  The best solution is grab an inexpensive container of hydrogen peroxide 3% and use about 1/2 cup in the humidifier container.  You will see the pink residue fizz.  Swab everything clean with a cue-tip or other fine-tip tool that will get into the corners.   This will fully clean and disinfect your humidifier tray. A water/vinegar mix will also work, but I like the physical cleaning action of the peroxide. You will be surprised how much comes up when you use the peroxide.

If you empty and rinse the tank daily, and allow it to dry, this won't happen. It is airborne and ubiquitous in the environment, and did not arrive in your water. Don't get excited or worried, this stuff is everywhere and won't hurt you.  It is bacterial, but not pathogenic, and is often called pink algae. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_algae 
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/0...93586.html
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To start with, I used air cooled boiled water as we have exceedingly hard water here.

Life being the way it is, I have taken to using tap water now but soak the humidifier tank in vinegar once a week to get rid of deposits and wash with soft soap and rinse with tap water.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2017, 04:49 PM)Apnea Infant Wrote: To start with, I used air cooled boiled water as we have exceedingly hard water here.

Life being the way it is, I have taken to using tap water now but soak the humidifier tank in vinegar once a week to get rid of deposits and wash with soft soap and rinse with tap water.

While boiling disinfects water, it concentrates dissolved solids, so boiling is a waste of your time and energy.  Cleaning with vinegar eliminates the carbonate deposits and disinfects the container, which is a good practice.  Just use the tap water and it will all be the same.

I'm not sure if you have the Zero-Water pitchers and filters in UK, but these are a RO filter (reverse osmosis), that nearly eliminates the dissolved solids and all organics. Great for drinking and treating hard water and even sulfur, chlorine and other impurities.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
The zero water filters seems interesting. Googled and there are available on Amazon. Definitely will look into it more. Water in London is rather shocking in that it is recycled 7 times apparently. I lived in Scotland for a while and really miss the quality of water up north.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 94 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,373 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 183 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidification Issue With Air Mini ICS55 15 5,268 02-08-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pwnorris
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.