Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

humidifier questions
RE: humidifier questions
Newbee2016 - wondering how you're getting along with your Apex XT Auto? Any issues?

i'm thinking that I am getting about the same therapy as any of the other brands as they certainly have to meet certain standards to be released to the public.

The only thing I notice once in awhile is shortly after going to bed just as I'm relaxing and about ready to go into sleep mode it seems to breath a bit harder. Almost like a wall was put up blocking the air. I don't know but I'm thinking that this has to do with the feature where if it detects an event the exhale pressure relief shuts off until things go back to normal. Not sure about that. Maybe it's me. Maybe my breathing changes at that falling asleep point, but I did try to breathe more on my own I think to help it along, but it's hard to tell as I'm getting real relaxed at that point. Anyone have any ideas about this? Maybe that's not unusual on any apap?? Other than that I'm happy with it and am feeling better than before I had it.

I also kind of figured out how to read their software data. Do you have any new thoughts or experiences on this or anything else noteworthy?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lanco

The reason I chose the Apex was I could transition to Apap treatment much more comfortably than the Resmed. The Resmed was tough. Pressure was aggressive and I was fighting it all the way. Wife also complained it was noisy from the high pressure exhausting from the wisp. In contrast, the Apex was quiet.

The product is certified, so shouldn't be an issue. Filter just wash, air dry and load. Resmed needs a stock of disposable filters on hand.

I noticed that I tend to get hypopneas at the start of treatment, when I'm falling asleep and the ramp has yet to reach min pressure setting. So that may be the start of what you have described on the initiation of pressure wall. If you are using PVA and its shuts off when it detects those early events, then there's the pressure build up. I don't use PVA as I'm ok breathing out with the set pressure for now. Tried PVA but it was like having to consciously time my breathing to fit the machine - I know it's supposed to be the other way round. I believe the pump also has to work differently to create the pressure cycle and may contribute to a fluctuating noise environment vs a constant one which I prefer.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lanco,
When you were talking about your passover humidifier, you mentioned the Quartet, if I'm not mistaken, that is another Respironics CPAP machine and that particular passover humidifier went with that machine. I'm not sure that the older machines had a builtin humidifier.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Lanco, one more thing.

The Easy Compliance gives basic data. I find that in the detailed chart tab, my leak rate is around 20. The Long-term histogram shows leak rate average as higher at around 35+, which don't quite make sense since I managed to get my detailed leak chart flat now. So there may be an anomaly here, but I'm not really concerned as it's not significantly above base total leak.

While I'm curious to know more from more data, this system keeps things simple. When I trialled the Resmed, I played around with sleepyhead too, and had all the nice data to scrutinise. I also had the Easy Compliance installed then before jumping in with the Apex, so I knew the difference in data output.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 77 3 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 700 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 331 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 298 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 441 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.