Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

humidifier questions
RE: humidifier questions
Hi Lanco,
As a fellow resident of the Sunshine State I will share my humidifier experience. For my first 12 or 13 years with CPAP I would occasionally try using my humidifier, always with the lowest heat. That would only last for a day or two because it seemed like I was sleeping in the swamp. Several months ago, due to nasal and throat dryness I tried it without any heat and was comfortable. The dryness was somewhat alleviated. With this setup the water tank needed water every three or four days. Since there was still some dryness I next set the heat to the lowest level. That turned out to be comfortable this time and now the dryness is gone most days. I think doing it in two steps helped plus our body's needs change over time. Our outside RH is somewhat high here but our air conditioners generally do a good job of dehumidification if properly sized. I have no experience with a heated tube.

I have been stuck with less than mainstream equipment out of ignorance and am working to get that cleared up. Meanwhile this forum has helped me tremendously in working with what I have and my treatment level is now much closer to what it should be. Continue being active on the forum and keep on learning.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everybody. Just got home late and will need to read all this in a few days.

justMongo - that is an exact pic of that old humidifier of mine. And it was and is still incredibly hard to breathe in and out with it. in the operating instructions it states that "when connected to the Quartet System (whatever that is) the LX Humidifier and 24" humidifier tubing will cause a .17 cmH20 pressure drop at 30 lpm(or .50 cmH20 pressure drop at 60 lpm. Appropriate diagnostic pressures must be determined when using the LX Humidifier"

The main thing is this humidifier is a piece of junk.

16 years ago my sleep doctor seemed disappointed that I couldn't use it because of too much drag on the air. Actually, he looked kind of puzzled.

Heck, I'd probably do better to break all the little square baffles out of there and fill that sucker with water and I'll bet it would work better. At least breathing wise. Other than that I might end up taking an unexpected shower in bedOh-jeez

Maybe I can sell it to the Museum of cpap history. I'm sure I'm the only one that still has one.Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-09-2016, 09:09 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lanco, the integrated machines from Respironics or Resmed have pressure sensors that are capable of compensating for resistance in the humidifier, tubing and mask and ensure delivered therapy pressure is accurate. Your Apex is a complete unknown. I have no idea how you got stuck with this Asian anomaly, but I'd complain and try to get one of the better known brands.

I am playing catch up right now. How did I get stuck with this Asian anomaly? After much research of reading literally hundreds of reviews on the respected suppliers websites AND seeing that they are listed in the most popular category AND the fact I was able to get a refurb Apex apap with less than two months of use with warranty AND for a price I could afford which was $225. We have no insurance. That pretty much sums it up.

After all of the above tedious research I talked to a couple of the suppliers owners of the more respected ones IMHO. One owner told me that they were selling tons of Apex cpaps. The other owner I talked to, I told him that Apex according to what I was being told on the forums was not so popular compared to the other "big" names and he said that they were selling more Apex cpaps than ALL other brands combined. These conversations took place after I already had an Apex XT Fit and the XT Auto so they knew they wouldn't be getting any new sales from me at that point.

So, that and considering a brand new one costs $389 makes this a great choice for someone who would like an apap but can't afford the others. The XT Fit a constant pressure cpap is only $189. Oh, I also checked into a ton of youtube videos including reviews.

That's about it.

Post Reply Post Reply
Lanco, I'll resolve not to pick on your Apex machine any more. It is an economical solution that should provide the PAP therapy you need. The fact is was your choice, and not something selected by a supplier to save money makes all the difference. Sorry to have gone there. It would be nice if you had Sleepyhead support, but I'm sure we can all make do with your unit's software.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Frank.

Reading your post, I see that you live in FL, but you sleep in a nice bedroom. Tks for the information about the cello, I think that this features apply too for other wooden expensive instruments.
Your post is right, it looks to me that you need water in your air, because with 50% humidity + humidifier means that you really need it. I need it too. Yesterday I didn't put enough water in the tank and it got dry, I got a spike in my AHI from the average from 1.8 to 3.5. I know that we react different, there are not universal rules for everybody, what is good for one individual can be bad for another.
My advise in my first post was (and still is) to try with slow amount of water and see what happens. This method is called " trial and error" and is the method that I have seen that really works with this kind of therapy.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 08:52 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lanco, I'll resolve not to pick on your Apex machine any more. It is an economical solution that should provide the PAP therapy you need. The fact is was your choice, and not something selected by a supplier to save money makes all the difference. Sorry to have gone there. It would be nice if you had Sleepyhead support, but I'm sure we can all make do with your unit's software.

No problem Sleeprider. I appreciate all your helpful advice along with everyone else. After 16 years on a constant pressure ($1500) Respironics Solo LX I need to get caught up a lot on all of this.

Initially, I thought the Apex XT Fit would do the job and it probably will but I started thinking that maybe it wasn't giving me proper therapy so I decided to get an auto cpap with data software. It looks as far as I can tell that my data is telling me I'm getting pretty good therapy. So, anyway I'm going through a very large learning curve right now and really appreciate the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, since we are on this thread on humidifier, I was wondering if anyone residing in Australia would recommend I bring along my humidifier when I make a trip to Busselton in Dec? I don't use my humidifier at the moment.

It's a one week trip and I'd rather not lug the extra stuff around in my luggage.

As its my first flight with the Apap tagging along, should I check it in or hand carry. Do I need to bring any relevant documents along for customs? Hope to hear views on this. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2016, 07:51 AM)Newbee2016 Wrote: Hi, since we are on this thread on humidifier, I was wondering if anyone residing in Australia would recommend I bring along my humidifier when I make a trip to Busselton in Dec? I don't use my humidifier at the moment.

It's a one week trip and I'd rather not lug the extra stuff around in my luggage.

As its my first flight with the Apap tagging along, should I check it in or hand carry. Do I need to bring any relevant documents along for customs? Hope to hear views on this. Thanks.

On the bottom of your cpap it says "Medical Equipment-CPAP" If interested they will look at that.

One time I actually was checked after going through the xray. The guy put up his hands as if to grab it and dispose of it if needed and told me to open the case, I told him it was a cpap and he repeated that I should open it then he repeated to open it. I opened it and he put down his hands and that was that. Weird because I had gone through several airports including this one before and nobody said anything.

Also, wondering if you have ever used your humidifier before and if you noticed any change in breathing. Was it the same or harder to breathe etc?

Post Reply Post Reply
I was using a nasal spray at the time when I tried the humidifier. Couldn't quite tell any difference other than the air being warmer (sleep in aircon room) and don't wake up with a cold nose, thus it's now in storage.

I was reading on this board that a local lady actually had her drivers licence revoked soon as she was diagnosed as having sleep apnea - so the laws are pretty strict in Australia. Same goes for immigration and custom which are very strict. Just don't want to get caught in administrative quagmire when I can avoid it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-22-2016, 07:18 PM)Newbee2016 Wrote: I was using a nasal spray at the time when I tried the humidifier. Couldn't quite tell any difference other than the air being warmer (sleep in aircon room) and don't wake up with a cold nose, thus it's now in storage.

I was reading on this board that a local lady actually had her drivers licence revoked soon as she was diagnosed as having sleep apnea - so the laws are pretty strict in Australia. Same goes for immigration and custom which are very strict. Just don't want to get caught in administrative quagmire when I can avoid it.

OK, thanks, then it sounds like there was no more effort breathing in and out like I experiences with my 16 year old passover humidifier. If so, this opens up the possibility that I will consider getting one to see if it could help. But after 16 years without I probably can do without it. Also, the daily cleaning aspect does not appeal to me at all.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 308 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.