Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

humidifier running dry?
humidifier running dry?
Gidday all,
I have a Respironics 560p - which has made a huge difference to my sleep quality!
But, I am a bit intrigued with the humidifier system.

No matter what setting is selected it usually lasts a little over 6 hours - but often not even that long before running out of water.

The tank is filled "to the line" every night, and I am a bit wary about it running dry and the humidifier's warming plate possibly melting something inside or doing damage.

Any advice or comments?

stephen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: humidifier running dry?
Most of these newer machines have a sensor that detects the humidity level in the room. It tries to keep a balance between what you have set and what the ambient room is. So if your bedroom is dry (like in winter), then it will use more water. If your bedroom is humid (like in summer), then it will use less.

No, it won't damage anything in there.

You could try turning the humidifier down a tad to see if it is enough humidity for you and yet last longer. Or add humidity to your bedroom.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 05:21 AM)stephen N Wrote: Gidday all,
I have a Respironics 560p - which has made a huge difference to my sleep quality!

No matter what setting is selected it usually lasts a little over 6 hours - but often not even that long before running out of water.

The tank is filled "to the line" every night, and I am a bit wary about it running dry and the humidifier's warming plate possibly melting something inside or doing damage.

Any advice or comments?

stephen

Like Paula said, a lot of machines seem to be auto set to deliver a set humidity level which the machine makes adjustments according the the humidity coming into the machine. (A lot of the machines I was shown do this).

If you have one that it set for an auto adjustment, you could either turn down the relative humidity (unless you need it that high) or add a humidifier to your room (but not too close to the machine). Also, if you have a heated humidifier perhaps turning down the heat level may conserve water. This is just a guess.

And is the reservoir small on your device? I feel like mine machine doesn't consume all that much
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had winter nights where it didn't seem to use any water at all. And I've had nights where I got woke up with that gawd awful smell of the tank going dry. It really depends on the weather and the humidity and how much the aliens drink in the middle of the night.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
aliens! Shock

so that's it! 2 nights ago, the aliens didnt even touch the water - it was at the same (high but not max) level I started with, and then the next night they took all of it! I was wondering how on earth that happened....
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 05:21 AM)stephen N Wrote: Gidday all,

You're probably opening your mouth or have leaks.

As long as there isn't a ton of air moving past the humidifier, it should be plenty for at least 8 or 9 hours.

If you check your leak graph in SleepyHead, I'd almost be willing to bet you'll find some pretty good leaks.

Also, don't worry about running out of water. The machine is temperature-controlled and will be fine. You, however might be unhappy. 8-)

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2014, 12:41 PM)DariaVader Wrote: aliens! Shock

so that's it! 2 nights ago, the aliens didnt even touch the water - it was at the same (high but not max) level I started with, and then the next night they took all of it! I was wondering how on earth that happened....

Obviously, it did not happen on earth. Oh-jeez

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Daria has your answer with that machine. I have the same one. Heated hose etc. The only time it has not went a min of nine hours on a tank of water set at it highest humidity setting is back before I learned how to control leaks. And that is in a wood fire heated house where the room air is DRY.

Independent of where it is set pretty much if you have a large leak problem it will use more water. Faster airflow equals picking up more water and sending it down the hose at a much faster rate.

That leak also would not nessacarily have to be at the mask. It could be pinholes in your hose, a crack at the cuff where it goes to the mask or the machine or anywhere along the line from machine to you.

I cracked a elbow on a mask and didnt know it a while back. Didnt realize it because I thought the sound I was hearing was venting. Very subtle but water use went way way up until I discovered and fixed it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been using that same machine type for a year with the standard humidifier and it has never run out of water in a night. Even with the heated kit now and set to max temp and humidity I can go 10 without running dry.

I'd say they have it right, you must have a leak or a gremlin.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fan is running but no pressure from Dreamstaion Fireboss 0 22 2 hours ago
Last Post: Fireboss
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 354 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  iNAP First Night Test Tonight (Running with APAP) Apnea23 4 1,212 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,161 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 320 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.