Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: humidifier water
Distilled water is probably best. However, you can use tap water. It will scale up the tank; and the more minerals the worse it will get.
Cleaning the tank with 5% white vinegar helps dissolve build up. If you can get new tank every 6 months or so from insurance, then in most cases of tap water use things go OK. One note, hard water in the humidifier chamber does not translate to minerals entering the air stream or lungs. The evaporated water entering the air stream leaves the minerals behind -- that's why the tank gets deposits; plus, the evaporation process is like a slow rate distillery.
(No folks, you cannot make booze with it.)

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
03-08-2014 12:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(03-08-2014 12:37 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Distilled water is probably best.
Yes, also recommended that you dump the water, wash and dry the tank after each use. all the other stuff need to be cleaned thoroughly so they don,t become breeding grounds for germs and inspect/change the filter regularly
03-08-2014 01:32 PM
d1hartman Offline

Members

Machine: Respironics System One BiPAP
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift Lite
Humidifier: Respironics System One
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I use distilled water, the cheaper the better. If I run out, I'll use water from the hot tap, before it runs too hot. That way it's at least been sterilized in the water heater. When I clean the chamber, I use white vinegar, and usually let it soak a while to remove any calcium and sterilize it.
05-23-2014 09:52 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

One thing that I thought I would mention here. If you use water that has not had the minerals removed, it is a good idea to dump any water remaining in the tank in the morning. If you do not, minerals will become more concentrated in the tank and cause more scale to build up. One does not need to worry about breathing the minerals in the water because they will not leave the tank.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 10:19 AM by PaytonA.)
05-23-2014 10:19 AM
jaycee Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: S-9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Quattro Air Large
Humidifier: 5i
CPAP Pressure: 9-13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: RT at a DME

Distilled water = best option IMO. It will probably cost you more in gas to heat the water than it does to just buy distilled water.

I've had plently of patients with high end reverse osmosis systems do perfectly fine with water from the tap.
05-23-2014 10:25 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0

Other Comments:

jaycee,

All of that is very good but we have people on this forum who do not have access to distilled water. It may be the best option but it is not the only option.

Reverse osmosis removes minerals and some organics but does not disinfect. So if the feed water or the product water for RO is disinfected then you have "perfectly clean" water. The actual fact of the matter is that bacteria will not enter the airstream from the water in the tank but I feel better not letting bacteria accumulate in my humidifier tank.

There a number of threads on the forum discussing the type of water for use in the humidifier. There is also a Wiki that discusses this same question.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-23-2014 01:06 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

(05-23-2014 09:52 AM)d1hartman Wrote:  I use distilled water, the cheaper the better. If I run out, I'll use water from the hot tap, before it runs too hot. That way it's at least been sterilized in the water heater. When I clean the chamber, I use white vinegar, and usually let it soak a while to remove any calcium and sterilize it.

Unless your water heater is set to boiling point, the water in the heater is not sterile. Not even close to sterile. The pipes from the water tank are not, even if the water is sitting there boiling for 24/7.

Vinegar won't sterilize the water chamber. A 10% bleach solution will, however. Or Control III solution.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-23-2014 07:53 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I use tap water. Have for years. Ain't dead yet. Lungs are clear. Don't have chronic nasal issues. My asthma has not gotten worse. My allergies have not gotten worse. My humidifier actually helps me during allergy season.

If the water is safe enough to drink, you can use it in your humidifier.
If the water is not so "hard" that it leaves brown stains in the sink, tub, and toilet, you can use it in your humidifier.
If the water does not stink from being "hard", you can use it in your humidifier.

Distilled water is not necessarily sterile. Unless they sterilize the jug. Unless you open it in a sterile environment. Unless you sterilize your tubing, mask, and humidifier tub, and the room you sleep in is sterile, the water making its way to your lungs is not sterile.

Very few microbes, germs, and molds can ride along the droplets of water from the humidifier tank all the way up the tube and into your sinus cavity.

Using tap water could result in more reason to clean. There may be mineral scale deposits that need regular light scrubbing and/or vinegar solution soaking. Some humidifier tubs, such as the non-dishwasher safe H5i tub, seems to hold onto the mineral scale harder (I think it is because it is aluminum or cheaper aluminum).

There. My opinion. That and $4 will get you a decaf mocha.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

05-23-2014 08:01 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

(05-23-2014 07:53 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 09:52 AM)d1hartman Wrote:  I use distilled water, the cheaper the better. If I run out, I'll use water from the hot tap, before it runs too hot. That way it's at least been sterilized in the water heater. When I clean the chamber, I use white vinegar, and usually let it soak a while to remove any calcium and sterilize it.

Unless your water heater is set to boiling point, the water in the heater is not sterile. Not even close to sterile. The pipes from the water tank are not, even if the water is sitting there boiling for 24/7.

Vinegar won't sterilize the water chamber. A 10% bleach solution will, however. Or Control III solution.

The hot water tank can add minerals to the water, often harmful minerals, that you really shouldn't consume. Use fresh cold water when you cook, drink or humidify, and nice hot water when you take a bath.
05-23-2014 09:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sinkiller Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 Auto
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10
CPAP Pressure: 5.4 to 12

Other Comments:

They recommend instilled water but that's only to cut down on the scale build up in the pan. U can use anything and just wash out and dry the chamber every day.
05-23-2014 10:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beginning use with H5i humidifier Lanco 21 682 11-27-2016 11:44 PM
Last Post: chill
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 5 608 11-12-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Gunk and grit in humidifier. MrEGuy 11 481 11-07-2016 12:49 AM
Last Post: cands
  [Equipment] Resmed S10 Autoset Humidifier question keithb4158 6 382 11-02-2016 05:13 AM
Last Post: keithb4158
  [Equipment] Water tub maintenance for ResMed S9 Elite Maggie 9 354 10-30-2016 01:53 PM
Last Post: Maggie
  Water in hose after cleaning... JustMac 3 343 10-30-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dreamstation heated tube/humidifier initial settings. NorthernGuy 9 691 10-28-2016 09:21 AM
Last Post: Perchas