Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

humidifier water
humidifier water
Hi all silly question I know but what water do you use for the humidifier (h5i) do you use tap water straight from the tap or do you boil it first or do you buy water that can go straight in it ??? I boil my tap water first then use that but its so lime scale here that I can taste it so not really good so just wondering what you all do many thanks in advance cheers allThanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: humidifier water
Welcome to the forum! I used distilled water (see my profile).
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the cheapest distilled water that is available in the store. I've never really understood why distilled water has different prices for different brands. You are paying for a bottle of steam! Anyway, I have used filtered water before when in a pinch, but I try to always have extra distilled on hand.
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Same here, use Home brew Distilled water . Dreaming
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi buff69,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I use distilled water in my humidifier.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Like mj, I use the cheapest distilled water I can find - usually from Menard's for 84 cents a gallon.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all sounds good im going to get some I thought about filtered water but thought it might not be sterilised?? Enough Dont-knowbut im going the distilled water way thanks everyone really pleased i found this forum it's excellent:grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
(03-08-2014, 08:11 AM)buff69 Wrote: Hi all silly question I know but what water do you use for the humidifier (h5i) do you use tap water straight from the tap or do you boil it first or do you buy water that can go straight in it ??? I boil my tap water first then use that but its so lime scale here that I can taste it so not really good so just wondering what you all do many thanks in advance cheers allThanks

I live in an area where the water is very hard - I can see how the coffee pot gets coated because of the mineral buildup and we constantly are de-scaling it. A coffee pot is only $80 or so for the kind we have so replacing it every 2 or 3 years is alright. However I don't like the fact that all these minerals will be blown into my lungs so I use distilled water - the cheapest ones I can find - it's all the same.

Be careful though - a few months ago my hubby came home with 2 bottles of distilled water, had a cute picture of a baby on it. Yes it was distilled water but the company had added minerals to "make it taste better" for your baby when it was used to make formula.

[Memo to self: "read the labels" ]

Post Reply Post Reply
I just learned something here - I'd never thought I'd need to read the label for distilled water - that sounds like "Distilled water - with impurities added!!" Yikes.

It's a good question, not silly at all. I faithfully use distilled water, as it's one fewer thing to go wrong. It's a tiny fraction of the overall cost of keeping CPAP going well.

Using distilled water might even prolong the life of the humidifier tank, tubing and mask - but even if it shortened the life of other supplies, it's about your life.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a kilogram of cure" and I've have to re-learn that the hard way enough other times. YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've learned from this board also to dump out any water remaining in the humidifier tank each morning. I don't believe the standard CPAP filters were designed to stop all bacteria or contaminants, so that's an easy measure to help keep anything unpleasant from building up. (Thanks, DocWils!)

One (long ago, pre-CPAP) respiratory infection was enough for me.

(Editing time expired before I could add this to my previous post.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 104 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,083 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 358 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 254 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 148 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 188 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,924 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.