Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

humidity control-summer vs winter
humidity control-summer vs winter
should I leave the settings on the autosense11 to automatic/heated all year 'round? summer here and it is hot/humid .. hot air is uncomfortable .. hoping just to turn all that stuff off...
thanks
charlie
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: humidity control-summer vs winter
Do whatever feels comfortable and works for you. If you don't need a humidifier and a heated hose, that's just that much less hassle.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can't hurt to try the change.

I leave mine set the same year round.  Inside my house it's usually the same humidty all the time regardless of season.  The temps var but never enough to make me want to change the machine temp.  My settings are on manual so that may make a difference.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As a general rule, houses where it gets below 15 deg F normally reduce humidity in the winter so that moisture doesn't condense and cause problems on poorly insulated floors, walls, and windows.  If your drapes have condensate, or worse, frost, on them, you got a whole nuther problem.  Wink  It may mean that your bedroom air is somewhat drier than it would be six months later.  If you get static discharge at times when you touch light switches, your house is a bit too dry, and you would want extra humidity from your machine....but not necessarily.  It would take some 'dialing in' because all that moisture coming up the tube added to what you exhale normally is going to brush past cold windows.

I live in the PNW.  It's humid enough year round that I have my settings very low.  I go through a full RESMED reservoir in three or four days.

Basically, you don't want water building up from condensation in the nadir of your hose, wherever that might be, and certainly not in your mask.  You don't want a dry, bleeding nose or epiglottal tissues either.  So, tweak it and it should be good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2022, 12:15 AM)mesenteria Wrote: As a general rule, houses where it gets below 15 deg F normally reduce humidity in the winter so that moisture doesn't condense and cause problems on poorly insulated floors, walls, and windows.

mesenteria bring up an excellent point.  When it gets real cold outside the  less humidity you will need inside.  I had that isssue last winter with my newer low-e windows building up condensation.  Had to turn down the whole house humidifier.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I can only suggest trying out different settings yourself if curious. If you are doing fine with current settings, no need to change.

Do you have AC on indoors and what is the humidity indoors? You want good level of humidity so that your sinus doesn't get inflamed from dryness. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. This is something you'd have to keep an eye out for and see if you experience any improvements or negative effects from setting changes.

Roughly 50% humidity is ideal for most people I've heard.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-05-2022, 09:07 AM)CorruptAlligator Wrote: I can only suggest trying out different settings  yourself if curious.  If you are doing fine with current settings, no need to change.

Do you have AC on indoors and what is the humidity indoors?  You want good level of humidity so that your sinus doesn't get inflamed from dryness.  Some people are more sensitive to this than others.  This is something you'd have to keep an eye out for and see if you experience any improvements or negative effects from setting changes.

Roughly 50% humidity is ideal for most people I've heard.

thanks , I'll turn them off for the rest of the summer.. ... in summer I seem to use about    1//2 the water that I use in the winter. In winter, many days the tank is empty in the morning .. in summer, it is 1/2 full in the morning.
Resmed Airsense 11/Resmed N20 memory foam mask,cervical collar, MyAir software, OSCAR for data analysis
Post Reply Post Reply
I remove my water tank in the summer; even MN gets humid in the summer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 108 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  Well, I thought I had AHI under control... LookingForACleverHandle 15 967 03-18-2024, 08:19 PM
Last Post: LookingForACleverHandle
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 156 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 247 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,163 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87
  AirSense 10 and Humidity Setting Columbiabill 16 3,006 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.