Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

humidity levels
humidity levels
Hi All, can anyone tell me how humidity works on the machine in relation to the humidity in the room/outside. how do you know what # to put the machine on?. I am finding I get water droplets in my mask when I sleep for a few hours. I normally have the machine on #5(highest)
Thanks Jamie
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: humidity levels
Not uncommon to find some moisture in the pillows from your own breath
Warming the room and hose cosy for the short hose may helps
Pilairo short hose [Image: 3ff54926-5b9e-4947-9760-6721b5a02e11]

Water in the hose (rainout) something else, you would hear water gurgling in the hose
For that, you can place machine below bed, turn down humidity level and get a hose cover
Post Reply Post Reply
I have only been doing this for a bit, but with humidity I set it on 3 and am happy. I only have the normal slimline hose and the only time I have seen moisture in my nasal pillows is when I had the humidity set over 4.

I am sure this is all personal preference and I prefer to breath colder air (slimline hose) as warmer air adds to my congestion and dryer air (just moist enough so my airway doesn't dry out setting at 3 on my h5i) and have been very happy with the results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's just a comfort thing, when the air is really dry you might want more or less when the room air is more humid. I set mine on 3 and don't go through all that much water. I do have a wrap on the main hose as I have fairly cold room temp. If it's not drying your nasal passages out you could back it off some, just trial and error. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Using myself for an example - I set mine just below where I'd get 'rain-out', as it helps my nose stay clear. Whereas y wife has decided that she doesn't even like any humidity, and took her chamber completely off.

It is bout what is comfortable to you. And, in time you will notice that you may need to change the setting from time to time as the room's humidity may change seasonally.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have the heated tube option?

If so then you need to play with two settings. I added the heated tube option after I got the machine. However, I started out like most people with the knob set on 3 and have played with it until I figured out the I needed it set on 2. I went all the way from zero to 5 until I found what worked for my particular situation. After I found that the non-heated tube wasn't optimal, I added the heated tube option and now have the humidifier temp set on 2 and the Humidity level set on 2. I'm not having dry mouth or rainout. As a note, we sleep with our bedroom pretty cold.

If you don't have the heated tube option then you may need to look at a hose cozy or try turning the setting down to 3 or so and hanging the hose above your head.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your reply's. I just wondered if there was a formula for humidity levels. Guess I will just play around with it. I have experienced gurgle( when traveling) and realized my machine was too high above the bed. Funny when I first got the machine I could sleep 7-8 straight with it on, now I struggle with 4. I will read more into this..

Regards...Jamie

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,600 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 155 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 668 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,159 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123
  Low O2 Levels During Sleep with Low AHI cmpman1974 60 5,081 01-01-2024, 09:24 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  [Treatment] Low AHI but dizziness and fatigue with spikes of low O2 levels John94 8 1,106 01-01-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: PamVT41
Gross [Equipment] HELP! Heat & Humidity settings are Choking Me! James87 3 372 12-21-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: James87

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.