Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

humidity/water chamber issues
humidity/water chamber issues
Like many that use a heated humidifier with their CPAP, I have had the problem of the water chamber running dry causing wake up and frustration. For 20 years!!!
I've done and tried all suggestions BUT I have an idea not yet attempted. Place an independent heated humidifier 'in series' with the output tube. By tweaking the CPAP humidity lower then the 2nd chamber adds the correct humidity and one has double the water. Physics is always present to change our ideas and I suspect that one problem could be that the mask pressure might decline due to the extra tubing and chamber. Yet some connect two hoses (tubing) together for long distances yet seem to be OK with the results. 
so, what do the forum folks think? Buy it and try it? Bad idea? Been there done that?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: humidity/water chamber issues
It's a unique idea at that. An accessory humidifier for a NIV ventilator might be and acceptable item to look up. Fisher and Paykel has a few among others.

I am curious though, if your leak rate is within acceptable ranges. Higher leaks would increase flow and therefore use more water. You could post some sample OSCAR charts to see how leaks are.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another forum user came up with a clever modification to increase the capacity of their xPAP humidifier

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...humidifier

If you are handy it may be worth looking into.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave(sarcastic),
Yes, you are right, I have fairly large leaks BUT for 20+ years they (resp pros) have been trying to eliminate them. Since the leak problem can't be solved I'm trying to make this as comfortable as possible. I was happy with the nasal mask for many years until a new doctor looked at their new sleep study and concluded that I must have a full-face mask. Everything was tried but I have Narcolepsy and some kind of REM behavior disorder; causes talking, moving, acting out dreams, etc. plus makes me a 'light sleeper' so imagine all this makes it difficult to keep the mask on.

Hey, maybe some kind of flexible glue between the mask and skin would work! Not Silicone caulk but similar that wouldn't damage skin.

IDK, Dave

I like the idea! Had considered a remote chamber with a tube that would use siphoning but no. Gravity works well in this case and will have another look at it.
Thanks, Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
The extra reservoir should work. Otherwise get the kit that bypasses the internal humidifier if you are using the external humidifier, or the extra volume in the air circuit could defeat the sensors.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could always pick up a room humidifier from the drugstore or big box and add humidity to the room. This would reduce the CPAP humidifier's workload.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Supplier and Insurance issues DudleyDoRight 0 48 Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Last Post: DudleyDoRight
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 192 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,086 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 529 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 275 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Dreamstation 2 humidity controls Lesgreen 3 115 04-11-2024, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Lesgreen
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 158 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.