Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

hydro was out...used generator for CPAP
hydro was out...used generator for CPAP
Well...our hydro was out and the voice recording at power company said it would be out for two days. I know my equipment instruction booklet says to never use an extension cord. I am not sure why, but am sure that at some time I will be visiting somewhere and not be able to reach a plug without an extension cord. Last night we hooked me up to a generator. I was a little worried that I might blow up in the night, or ruin my machine. But, I woke up this morning and my machine did too..lol. Our hydro is back on now...but is it ok to use a generator with my equipment?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: hydro was out...used generator for CPAP
Yes, as long as the generator is also "clean" enough for a computer/electronics. Most will say what it can or cannot be used for.

Electricity can be "dirty", or, more accurately, noisy. The more noise, the dirtier. Computers and other electronics need clean/quiet electricity.

Whenever I travel, I use an extension cord because plugs in hotels are never conveniently placed. Electricity gets weaker the further it has to go from the source. However, the bigger the cord, the better the power on the other end. But xPAPs draw so little, a simple two wire cord would be more than enough.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Paula for the info. I must check out our generator and see if it is ok for electronics. Several of our neighbours have the same one and hook up their tv and laptops. Nothing has been hurt yet, so likely ok.
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of the smaller ones are geared toward that nowadays. The larger ones in the frame may not be. If it is marketed toward the homeowner, it is probably safe. But if it is marketed toward construction or other job sites, it may not be. But they've done a lot to "clean" up generators lately.

I wonder if a UPS system would work with it? Meaning plug the UPS into the generator and then plug the xPAP into the UPS? I know mine said it helps to keep the voltage the same in case there's fluctuations, maybe it also cleans it up?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
A good surge protector would be a good idea when connecting a CPAP to a generator. Anything could cause a surge, if not the generator itself then something else that's also running off the generator.

Yes, Paula, a good UPS will also help clean up the electricity. It would be especially helpful keeping the voltage constant if something like a refrigerator that's running off the generator kicked on while the CPAP was running.

The reason they warn you not to use an extension cord is because a long thin one could lower the voltage supplied to the CPAP. As long as you have a good quality extension cord you should be fine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The so-called 'Inverter' generators are generally very good in the smaller sizes. They actually generate 12 Volts DC and have a Sine Wave inverter built in to produce the mains voltage of 240 Volts in Australia or (presumably) 110 volts in the USA and Canada.

The older style generators can be very bad news for electronic equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2012, 06:38 AM)Moriarty Wrote: The so-called 'Inverter' generators are generally very good in the smaller sizes. They actually generate 12 Volts DC and have a Sine Wave inverter built in to produce the mains voltage of 240 Volts in Australia or (presumably) 110 volts in the USA and Canada.

Do they have a 12-volt DC jack? If so, I could just plug my CPAP machine directly into that, skipping the inverter, transformers, and converter.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2012, 10:24 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(07-27-2012, 06:38 AM)Moriarty Wrote: The so-called 'Inverter' generators are generally very good in the smaller sizes. They actually generate 12 Volts DC and have a Sine Wave inverter built in to produce the mains voltage of 240 Volts in Australia or (presumably) 110 volts in the USA and Canada.

Do they have a 12-volt DC jack? If so, I could just plug my CPAP machine directly into that, skipping the inverter, transformers, and converter.

I just looked up some 900W Inverter Generators and while they do have a straight 12V DC output (the ones I looked at) they were not the Cigarette lighter style outlet. They use various configurations of a dual prong plug, slanted in all different directions and such to ensure no one tries to plug an AC plug into a DC outlet. I don't know if this is standard as I don't have a generator, but...
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2012, 10:24 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Do they have a 12-volt DC jack? If so, I could just plug my CPAP machine directly into that, skipping the inverter, transformers, and converter.

I wonder how long a CPAP without the humidifier would run on an ordinary car battery while still leaving enough charge in the battery to start the car.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends on the battery and it's charge capacity.

We discussed this in the camping thread and the 'be prepared' thread. I think one guy could get 5 nights out of the battery situation he had.

If I can find my volt meter, I'll do a test with the battery I've got. I know the meter is around here somewhere....
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] White Noise Generator Sleepster 9 650 11-13-2023, 11:41 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Battery Generator AKel 4 894 04-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Last Post: AKel
  questions about a generator sleepytimegal 12 4,377 04-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Last Post: Marillion
  [Equipment] travel & no hydro Reinny2 4 2,161 02-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  [Equipment] Portable generator to power S9 o2meister 36 12,511 09-20-2014, 09:26 PM
Last Post: Evpraxia
  generator for hurricane season greatunclebill 21 11,063 06-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.