Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Mask Strap Maintenance
Mask Strap Maintenance
Thought I'd share how to improve your mask straps so they don't unhook while sleeping. The velcro can loose it's ability to stay attached
and slip off. Instead of buying a new strap, try this. Tear off a piece of duct tape, lay velcro on table face up, press duct tape into the 
velcro, slowly pull it off, so it grabs any fibers, hair or whatever off. Repeat it 4 or 5 times on both sides. The attachment becomes much stronger
and won't come loose. Beats having to buy a new strap. Eventually the velcro does wear out and you have to replace it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mask Strap Maintenance
Cleaning the Velcro hook side is useful to extend its adhesion. Normally the pile side wears out first. You can get some Velcro pile and attach it to your straps. Stitching it on with a sewing machine will extend the life of your straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much!
My issue is mask strap stretching....eventually requiring replacement of the mask or headgear.

dave
toronto
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Thanks for this. Will give it a try!
Post Reply Post Reply
Washing the headgear in really hot water and dish soap will return a lot of the tightness to the straps. I let it soak a good while after washing it.   Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Big Guy!

My DME supplier charges $325 CDN for masks if I go to the store. That buys me a fitting, a lie down hooked to a machine to see about leaks, and then a new mask sealed in the original packaging. Or...if I go the store to pick up a new mask and the attendant hands it to me---same cost. Extending the life of head gear is important to me.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
DaveL, my husband has the problem of his straps stretching out too. I have successfully washed in hot and dried in the dryer, but in time they still stretch. When that happens I cut the strap, remove some of it and sew it back together, making the strap shorter. This can help extend the life of your straps for quite a long time.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2021, 01:16 PM)Deborah K. Wrote: DaveL, my husband has the problem of his straps stretching out too.  I have successfully washed in hot and dried in the dryer, but in time they still stretch.  When that happens I cut the strap, remove some of it and sew it back together, making the strap shorter.  This can help extend the life of your straps for quite a long time.

That's probably the best solution! My wife is a skilled seamstress (she made her own wedding dress) and she's made me many things over the years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Maintenance Insomnia alienfrontier 0 109 04-03-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  CPAP compressed air path design, foam, filtration & maintenance MaNoise 10 323 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MaNoise
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 428 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,288 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,808 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 283 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Chin Strap for Full Face Mask? newtothis1 5 730 01-01-2024, 03:03 PM
Last Post: newtothis1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.