Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

hypopnea duration
hypopnea duration
I posted this in the oscar beta test forum; it was suggested I put it here.  recently I noticed that in the overview page 'total time in apnea' was sometimes blank even though the ahi graph showed events.  turns out that the 10 second entry for each hypopnea was removed from oscar.  my response: 

an h has to be at least 10 seconds to be flagged, no?  if not assigned at least 10 seconds, will h be included in the 'time in apnea' statistic?  and the 'total time in apnea' graph?  if not, I would prefer to go back to counting them as 10 seconds; still not precise but more accurate than not including duration at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: hypopnea duration
It turns out the info is not provided by the machine.  The goal of OSCAR is to be accurate and REPORT what is reported by the machine.  If or more likely when we bring that back you will know what and how it was determined.
Post Reply Post Reply
As far as I know, Resmed does not report the duration of hypopneas. SleepyHead arbitrarily assigned 10 seconds to them. The aim of OSCAR is to try and report, as honestly as possible, the data of each CPAP. Since Resmed doesn't record the time, OSCAR shouldn't be injecting data that doesn't exist. I believe this subject is still open.

I hope this answers your question.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, I understand the reasoning but haven't seen a response to: the fact that it has to be at least 10 seconds to be flagged (so it isn't entirely arbitrary) and the question about whether time in apnea and total time in apnea is off by not including something for hypopnea. if the statistic and chart include some time associated with hypopnea, I'm less concerned.

are you saying that nothing oscar reports is a calculation (in oscar)?
Post Reply Post Reply
by no means is everything in OSCAR wrong. This is one that was.
OSCAR calculated Compliance differently in different places, (in one spot it did not count skipped days) This has been corrected.

Issues that are found are validated and entered into a tracking system. Many of the issues have come from outside the team. The OSCAR team believes strongly in fixing all validated issues that are found. Many are discovered in this very forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
sorry, I don't follow, bonjour. was that meant for this thread?
Post Reply Post Reply
Coming back to the original question - I think it could be re-phrased as "Should the total time in apnea include time in hypopnea? If so, how is it to be calculated?"

My view is that apnea is effectively a cessation of breathing and total time in apnea is a very useful statistic. Hypopnea, while not to be ignored, is not a complete cessation of breathing. Adding time in hypopnea to time in apnea would give an answer just as wrong / misleading as not including it. Given that we don't actually know the duration of hypopneas, perhaps the best we could do is say time in apnea is one reasonably accurate statistic and time in hypopnea is not less than the number of hypopneas x 10 seconds.
Post Reply Post Reply
Total time in Apnoea is a statistic that is unique to Sleepyhead/Oscar we need to define what it contains and how it can be used p. This thread is a useful discussion of those concepts, there is no right or wrong answer just a consensus that the team need to agree.

Discuss Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what should be done in this case, but I hope you won't mind a question about machines and reports (and particularly about PR Dreamstation's Hypopnea reports).

The vast majority of my reported events are hypopneas, and at least one definition I've found says that's a 50% drop in airflow plus EEG arousal or reduced SpO2.  Since I don't have electrodes or a finger monitor, the Dreamstation must be looking at something else to flag hypopneas.  Looking at the flow rate, I don't see any clear signature it might be keying on.  (There's often a slightly-longer period between breaths, but it's only a second or two, and not in a sequence that's otherwise exceptional.)  The OSCAR UI shows a duration, though, so the Dreamstation must be identifying something as the start and the end (right?)

I'm thinking that if I knew what was getting flagged, I'd have some basis for trying to figure out what was causing it, and from there to stopping it from happening.  Otherwise, it feels like I'm just chasing a number that doesn't have any particular significance.

Since you seem to be some of the OSCAR devs, a couple other quickies:

* Can OSCAR accept / display heart-rate data?  (I'm working on a way to record data from a Bluetooth heart rate monitor, and I'd like to see it correlated with my respiratory data.)

* What is the resolution of the pressure data?  The UI makes it look continuous (in time and value), but that seems like it would be a lot of data!
Post Reply Post Reply
>>>an h has to be at least 10 seconds to be flagged, no?<<<

Well, I'm not so sure. We have to find the definition that ResMed is using... back in a bit... Ahh, page 19 of the Clinician's Manual: 
     "A hypopnea is when the respiratory flow decreases to 50% for at least 10 sec."

The American Society of Sleep Medicine page https://aasm.org/aasm-clarifies-hypopnea...-criteria/ is different:
    "The peak signal excursions drop by ≥30% of pre-event baseline...PAP device flow..."

I think the difference there is between peak flow rate and average flow volume, but I'm not sure.

So, at least 10 seconds... but exactly how long? We don't know. And decreases to 50% from what base value? Presumably the average during some previous time period. But how long? And if it's a moving period, the average will decrease during the hypopnea time interval. This will sure confuse things. And, as far as I can tell, ResMed has never answered these questions in public.

Now back to the original question: Should Total Time in Apnea include the time in hypopnea? Well, no, because a hypopnea is not an apnea, even if we knew how long these hypopneas lasted. 

There's no doubt that we should keep track of hypopneas; they do disrupt our sleep. My own Total AI is quite often zero, my AHI runs between 1.5 and 3. But before we can create a Total Time in Hypopnea we have to decide - computably - when they start and end. And we have to remember that we are being as arbitrary as the people that decided it wasn't an apnea unless it lasted at least ten seconds.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hypopnea (H) index data always zero in exported CSV rudiklein 3 500 02-17-2023, 08:06 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Fisher-Paykel SleepStyle: Event type and duration in OSCAR bill.page 7 1,416 04-05-2022, 12:11 AM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Event pop-up with duration nickanti 10 933 06-20-2021, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Ratchick
  How stop change of view duration when clicking & dragging to check time intervals? 2SleepBetta 10 1,707 07-29-2020, 02:47 AM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  OSCAR Zero duration events happydreams 9 1,420 06-03-2020, 09:04 AM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  Modifying the duration of a session drmaestro 2 768 05-25-2020, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  SleepyHead - Change Apnoea Hypopnea Index Label Text to AHI cjsimmons 8 1,889 10-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Last Post: cjsimmons

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.