Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

hypopneas
hypopneas
most of my events are  hypopneas(50%+), with flow limitations and centrals.
AHI 1.5-3 average.

I have reduced EPR to 1, didn't make a difference.
Pressure is 7-12 but the machine keeps it mostly at 8.

What can I do to reduce hypopneas? Are those obstructive by nature or central?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: hypopneas
Hypopneas are typically obstructive and can be treated by increasing the pressure. However if you are having centrals, then increasing pressure might make things worse, so make gradual changes and wait a few days (or more) between changes to see how your body adapts. Your actual AHI is not too bad (regarded as clinically treated) so if you are getting restful sleep, then perhaps you don't need to worry too much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note you are using a Dreamstation too. One suggestion is turn off the EPR and see what happens. I no longer use EPR and my AHI dropped - I too have mostly hypopneas. To get the improved AHI I would have to up the min pressure if I continued using EPR.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Newbie means turn off the Flex.  EPR is a Resmed term.
Post Reply Post Reply
ok I will set flex to 0 tonight
Post Reply Post Reply
Nearly every titration protocol for bilevel, suggests increasing EPAP to resolve CA and increasing pressure support for hypopnea, flow limits and snores. The Dreamstation is a CPAP. It does not have EPR or pressure support. The Flex setting can be used to drop the exhale pressure momentarily, but because it is proportional to flow, Flex tends to be a poor treatment for hypopnea. Ideally, you would have a bilevel machine which can specifically target hypopnea; however, with CPAP, we raise minimum pressure and use the Flex, or better, EPR with a Resmed.

Bottom line, increase your minimum pressure in 0.5 increments, and use Flex if it does not cause CA. A very common problem with Philips Auto CPAP machines is that they tend not to increase pressure very fast, and decrease pressure too fast, resulting in hypopnea. The increase in minimum pressure nearly always resolves this, but you're going to have to keep raising the pressure until you find that sweet spot.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2017, 09:50 AM)Kryogen Wrote: most of my events are  hypopneas(50%+), with flow limitations and centrals.
AHI 1.5-3 average.

That's pretty good. Keep in mind that there is no clinical difference there, so anything you do is very minor.

I agree that raising the lower end of your pressure range is the thing to do. Presuming of course that the higher pressure doesn't cause any comfort issues. Some people can be very sensitive to it, causing things like aerophagia.[/quote]
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2017, 11:31 AM)chill Wrote: Newbie means turn off the Flex.  EPR is a Resmed term.

Thanks Chill, I stand corrected.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Diagnosis] Help with Hypopneas! strugglingzombie 0 128 04-03-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: strugglingzombie
  Worrying session last night - hypopneas increased tenfold! BigWing 12 338 03-23-2024, 06:23 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  Does EPAP or IPAP control hypopneas? MrIvanDrago 3 311 02-29-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help Please - Hypopneas remain with BIPAP Newby 0 203 02-25-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Newby
  Hypopneas resolved, CA's persist--help! AZAwake 5 499 01-20-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central Hypopneas suddenly! Kingsway 4 544 11-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed - mostly centrals & hypopneas - advice please :) sleepymum81 5 943 08-31-2023, 09:32 PM
Last Post: jwest

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.