Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

i need to sleep in a wind tunnel
i need to sleep in a wind tunnel
I would like your thoughts on what i can do to make my experience better with the Resmed S10.   Wednesday 28 Aug i woke and thought i had forgotten to turn the machiine on so i reached over and turned it on and bcos it already was on actually turned it off.  i immediately went back to sleep and a couple of hours later woke to find that i had no air again and this time got up and pushed the button on the machine and it turned on.  finished out the night.  i have tried taping the vent holes in the inlet to the mask didn't work either.  

how would you suggest i increase the air blowing into my mask.  this apprears to be the problem all along.

thank you                    
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: i need to sleep in a wind tunnel
madmike,
Scroll down to the bottom of the last graph on your daily page, and turn on all the event flags.  There is a drop down box, click on the event to turn from red to green.

You are obviously experiencing some Obstructives, Hypopnea's and flow Limitations, and they are not showing up on the event graph.

In order to get more pressure, and tame these events, move your minimum pressure up to at least 12cm.  It may have to go higher, but wait a few days to see if that helps

And it’s not a good idea to tape or block the vent holes in your mask.......
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
madmike - Like OpalRose stated, DO NOT TAPE THE MASK EXHAUST POSTS!   This prohibits the CO2 being discharged.  If anything, turn off the Smart-Start. Also, follow the rest of OpalRose's directions.

Ypu'll get there. Sleep-well
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2019, 12:39 PM)madmike Wrote: I would like your thoughts on what i can do to make my experience better with the Resmed S10.   Wednesday 28 Aug i woke and thought i had forgotten to turn the machiine on so i reached over and turned it on and bcos it already was on actually turned it off.  i immediately went back to sleep and a couple of hours later woke to find that i had no air again and this time got up and pushed the button on the machine and it turned on.  finished out the night.  i have tried taping the vent holes in the inlet to the mask didn't work either.  

how would you suggest i increase the air blowing into my mask.  this apprears to be the problem all along.

thank you

What ever you do *do not* tape over the vents. There are two kinds of them on a full face mask. The ones venting out air while the machine is on are the ones that wash carbon dioxide out of your mask. The other ones (perhaps the ones you taped over) are the vents for the anti-asphyxiation valve, which opens your mask to direct room air when the machine is off so you don't suffocate. And since you are having problems with accidentally turning your machine off you definitely don't want to tape those ones over.

If you feel starved for air, you may need a higher minimum pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
You ask how t increase air blowing into your mask. You need to first understand that the CPAP is a pressure device and is not intended to flow more air than what is required to maintain pressure with any leaks and the exhaust vent. Your attempt to tape the vents actually reduced flow in addition to being dangerous to your health. More flow would occur if you created an increased leak rate, but I don't think that is your solution.

Your machine is increasing pressure on flow limitations. With settings of 6-16 EPR 3, your pressure rises to the maximum and stays there much of the night. But I am also observing a clustering effect in this pressure delivery and the events associated with it. I think you are having positional obstruction that increases flwo limitations and sometimes apnea or hypopnea. This wiki article might help http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea I do think a soft cervical collar or other device that prevents chin tucking will help. Since you are not sensitive to the pressure and apparently tolerate your higher pressure, I would recommend a minimum pressure of 9.0, and if you tolerate it, a maximum of 20.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[attachment=15075

]In the updated chart i see that there are still things that are pressure related.  thank you for your advise  i have learned more in the short time being here than the  past 5years with my Lung Dr or my DME.  there may actually be a time when i am not falling asleep during the day if all of the events can be removed.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow 0.0 AHI. How do you feel with the pressure set to 12? You can always switch to Apap mode, but how you feel is more important than a low AHI.

Are you sure all the event flags are on?
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-31-2019, 11:30 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Wow 0.0 AHI.  How do you feel with the pressure set to 12?  You can always switch to Apap mode, but how you feel is more important than a low AHI.  

Are you sure all the event flags are on?

AHI is 0.81 which is excellent, but we still can 't see why flow limitations are high or what events are still being recorded.  Event flags for OA, H and possibly RERA are off.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
madmike,
Your AHI is great, but it's beneficial if folk that are trying to help out can see all of the events that take place. We need to see it on the event graph.

Scroll down to the bottom of the daily page, left side, under the last graph. There, you will see a drop down box. Click on all the events to turn them on.
They should be green, not red.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Actually AHI was .81 but it is the best i've had in a while.  yes all the event flags are turned on and there are events that the pressure of 12 didn't fix.   one night of a better nights sleep has not done a lot of good, however i do feel better and have a lot of hope that this on the right track to not falling asleep during the day.

i will change to the APAP mode and see how it works.

thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,362 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 808 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  AirFit P10 Wind noise upon exhale Columbiabill 4 1,040 03-26-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,012 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 684 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.