Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

i still dont understand how the leaks data is interpreted
i still dont understand how the leaks data is interpreted
SleepyHead graphs my leak data for 2 weeks. It lists the Max as 25.89 95% is 12.15 and med is .53

Does this mean the max pressure leak was 25.89? 25.89 what? what unit is it measuring?

does 95% mean that at least 95% of the time my leaks are 12.15 or below?

med = median? that doesn't make sense.

Also, the accompanying chart doesnt make sense. It shows two lines, with different values for each night. Why two? exhale/inhale? max/min?

Last of all, although the summary says max was 25.89, the highest line for two nights reaches 70. what gives? how can my two week max be 25.89 if two nights I was at 70?

oh, I lied. Really last of all. Is my mask leaking too much? just right? have no idea what the acceptable baseline is
thanks.

(p.s. don't know how to cut and paste my sleepyhead chart . . . )
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: i still dont understand how the leaks data is interpreted
Hi Louise,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I don't use Data-management software, but hang in there and someone will be along to help you interpret your graphs, soon.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-18-2013, 06:43 PM)Louise Wrote: SleepyHead graphs my leak data for 2 weeks. It lists the Max as 25.89 95% is 12.15 and med is .53

The maximum leak rate detected was 25.89 liters per minute. 95% of the time the leak rate was under 12.15 L/min, and 50% of the time the leak rate was under 0.53 L/min.

Anything under 24 L/min is considered good, so you're in good shape. Actually, you're in really good shape.

Quote:Also, the accompanying chart doesnt make sense. It shows two lines, with different values for each night. Why two?

The system is designed to leak. You can feel that leak coming out of the exhalation port on your mask. This is called the intentional leak rate.

The numbers discussed above are the leak rates over and above this intentional leak rate, called the unintentional leak rate.

Add the two together and you get the total leak rate.

The two graphs you see are the unintentional leak rate and the total leak rate.

Congratulations on adapting so well to CPAP therapy. Your numbers are looking good and if you keep using your machine faithfully every time you sleep you will increase the quality and length of your life.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks all. the info helped, and the encouragement!

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Louise,
Good to hear that you are adjusting so well to CPAP therapy, CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

The numbers discussed above are the leak rates over and above this intentional leak rate, called the unintentional leak rate.

Add the two together and you get the total leak rate.

The two graphs you see are the unintentional leak rate and the total leak rate.

So on the sleepy head graph, the unintentional leak rate is the line at the bottom showing smaller numbers, and the total leak rate is the top graph (which shows as high as "70" one night .. . ?

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2013, 05:33 PM)Louise Wrote: So on the sleepy head graph, the unintentional leak rate is the line at the bottom showing smaller numbers, and the total leak rate is the top graph (which shows as high as "70" one night .. . ?

Yup. You see, you have to have some intentional leak (through the exhalation port) to avoid re-breathing your own exhaled air. Over and above that the machine can still tolerate some additional leakage, but if it gets above an additional 24 L/min or so the machine can no longer maintain the desired pressure needed to keep your airway from collapsing. And maintaining that pressure splint to keep your airway from collapsing is the sole purpose of CPAP therapy!

The actual intentional leak rate can be determined by looking at the literature that came with your mask. You can also find it posted on the web. It's a number that depends on your pressure, which according to your profile is 10 cm. If I knew which mask you had I could look up the intentional leak rate at that pressure.

Your CPAP machine has a flow rate sensor that measures the total leak rate. SleepyHead then takes an estimate of your intentional leak rate and subtracts it from your total leak rate to get the unintentional leak rate. For example my intentional leak rate is about 35 L/min, so I try to keep my total leak rate under 60 L/min or so. I'm not always able to do that, but most of the time I can.

I don't have a full face mask so it's much easier for me to prevent leaks. But my mouth does occasionally pop open and air leaks out. I have to wear a chin strap, which prevents that from happening most of the time.

You'll find that as you adapt to CPAP therapy it'll be easier for you to control your leaks. You're lucky you're not experiencing any other problems. That's awesome!
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Don't worry so much about stats at first. That comes to the more experienced user. The question is this? Are you sleeping better? Focus on that first. You should know if you are leaking or not. Most people cannot sleep thru a major leak. You don't need software to tell you that. Focus on good old common sense right now. If its leaking, adjust and stop the leak. Hard to believe, but sometimes just a wiggle of the head and the straps move and the leak stop and you are back in business and you never has to touch your mask. It is as simple as that on occasion. However, more often you have to reach up and readjust or tighten, sometimes a tightening of 1/8 of an inch is all that's needed
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2013, 07:43 AM)Mark Risley Wrote: Don't worry so much about stats at first. That comes to the more experienced user. The question is this? Are you sleeping better? Focus on that first. You should know if you are leaking or not. Most people cannot sleep thru a major leak. You don't need software to tell you that. Focus on good old common sense right now. If its leaking, adjust and stop the leak. Hard to believe, but sometimes just a wiggle of the head and the straps move and the leak stop and you are back in business and you never has to touch your mask. It is as simple as that on occasion. However, more often you have to reach up and readjust or tighten, sometimes a tightening of 1/8 of an inch is all that's needed

yep, good advice. I was trying to figure out if i was just paranoid about an insignificant leak or not, sort of a reality test. Like you mention, i reasonably often wake up and have to tweak the mask - so good to know that is normal. thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 8 439 04-09-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: QT Pie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 334 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  New to OSCAR..Please Help me understand the data. *screenshots attached* Cowboys77 0 112 03-19-2024, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cowboys77
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 122 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 138 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Just trying to understand this stuff Domino96 5 325 03-05-2024, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 554 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.