Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

iPhone question
Last July 2016 I purchased an older model iPhone (5S) to replace a non-functioning Android phone. To make a long story short, the phone gave me trouble from the beginning. After a multitude of troubleshooting steps, Apple has replaced my phone because it was under warranty. I cannot fault Apple as they have bent over backwards to help me and to make things right. However Boost Mobile has not been quite so accomadating. It is very difficult to obtain customer service with them without going through a multitude of steps. Anyway, my phone question is: how often should I 'back-up' my data on the iphone? I can't seem to locate anything online that has information about this, so thought someone on this forum might know.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess it depends on how much important data you have on the phone, I presume a fair amount or you wouldn't be asking.

Do you have iTunes installed on a PC?
Do you have iCloud?

I have my iPhone set up to automatically upload all my photos, videos and iBooks to iCloud, which also automatically downloads all photos and videos to my PC (Windows 10 with iCloud software).

With iTunes software, you can back up to iTunes from within iTunes but also from the device itself to iTunes wirelessly when you are on WiFi.
Post Reply Post Reply
Backups are done on iTunes and are very easy and fast to complete. I would complete backups monthly, or when you have added information or photos you can bear to lose. I'll assume you are not using iCloud, which is another way to ensure everything is saved. The first 5 GB is free, then the next 50 GB is only $.99 per month. For something that automatically takes care of your photos, contacts, and other things you choose, that's pretty cheap insurance. 200 GB is only $1.99. That is probably more than your computer holds let alone your phone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Mine backs up automatically to iCloud when connected to WiFi and a power source. It's very easy to do. I also backup the phone to my computer via iTunes whenever I make changes to the phone or add critical data or once a month, whichever comes first. I encrypt the backup to the computer which saves system setup, passwords, etc. in case I have to restore my phone or to set up a new phone. Setting up a new phone or restoring your old one with the encrypted backup on the computer pretty much clones the phone to the state it was when the backup was made.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thread-jack... And if you wish to move over to a Samsung Galaxy; and give my iPhone 6 to Mrs Mongo?
I want the phone number and contacts moved over. I know how to clear private data off the iPhone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Back up to iCloud depends on how much your phone holds. Apple limits your iCloud data to about 5 Gb and this would not even cover a third of what is on my phone. You can get extra data but it costs. I have backed up my phone (6S) to two different computers - a Mac and a PC. It's a simple process. You plug your phone into a USB port on your computer and itunes quickly asks if you want to sync your phone to the computer. Answer is Yes!

I'm about to upgrade my phone with Telstra. All I have to do is plug the new phone into my computer and the sync will do the rest.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone having trouble with ATT email on their iPhone today? justMongo 1 327 07-13-2017, 07:58 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  iOS 10 out tommorrow -- upgrade an iPhone 6? justMongo 25 1,368 09-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Rant - Want to throw IPhone out the window 49er 12 1,549 01-02-2016, 04:59 AM
Last Post: 49er
  On my 2nd iPhone 6 replacement in a year cate1898 4 712 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Last Post: ginzo
  New iPhone 5 ad cbramsey 6 2,989 09-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Last Post: mjbearit
  Can’t transfer photos from iphone to pc!? Wentworth Miller 5 3,197 09-07-2012, 07:10 AM
Last Post: weeble