Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

illegal??
illegal??
I have two questions. First off, why do I keep finding people saying it is illegal to buy or sell cpap machines outside of an hme or a doctor's prescription?

Second, how do you personally clean your heated tube? I know I should not submerge the end with the electrical connector, but should I just use hot water? hot water and a little dish soap?  What have you had the best luck doing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: illegal??
Under U.S. law CPAP machines and complete masks require a prescription for their purchase.  They also require a facility to be licensed under FDA guidelines for legal sale.

The heated hose is suppose to be fully sealed and standard washing, like an unheated hose, is the normal.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, 4speed. Welcome to the forum.

Federal regulations require a prescription the purchase of a CPAP machine or mask to be done through an approved (licensed) seller using a prescription issued by a qualified doctor. From the number of machines and masks sold on the internet without a prescription it doesn't look like this requirement is too heavily enforced.

Like you, I was reluctant to immerse the electrical connections in water until a forum member pointed out that the manufacturer of our machines actually recommend doing so in their instructions on cleaning their heated hoses. I have been doing so for several weeks with no problems. I just make sure to shake as much water from the connectors as I can and then let them dry for a few hours.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My hose end that goes over the mask swivel just happens to fit snugly over my brass shower head. I run the water full bore about five seconds then shut off the water, let it drain then hang the hose to dry after shaking excess water from the ends.

I used to soak it once a week while cleaning my mask, however with the cloth snuggle tube cover I use the shower makes it easier without getting the snuggle tube cover wet or having to remove that cover every time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi 4speed,
you can submerge your heated hose connector and all, no problem, just let it dry before you use it, you shouldn't have any trouble.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Vicodin, a narcotic, requires a prescription. Purchasing it without a prescription is illegal.

CPAP machines (this includes all of the different varieties of them) and masks (whole masks but not mask parts) requires a prescription. It is the same type of illegal as the narcotic.

Do people buy and sell CPAP machines at flea markets, Craigslist, and other places in the US without a prescription? Yes. Is it illegal? Yes. Are the feds watching? Meh, if they get bored enough. I used to keep aquatic snails. One type of snail I loved was illegal to sell and purchase (they reproduced like mad and idiots just turned them loose in local ponds, canals, and lakes). People did it anyway on various online aquatic classified ad places (pre-Craigslist). About once every 3 yrs or so, someone would get arrested for selling them and a bunch of buyers would be raided, all their fish and snails taken and euthanized. Fish and Game are bored a lot easier (and take their job very seriously) than the FDA, though.

As for the hose, a good rinse with warm water should be all it needs. Let it completely dry before using again. Other than that, have at it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
You can also use a hairdryer on low heat to dry hose connects
Post Reply Post Reply
Has anyone mentioned vinegar yet? it;s mold and mildew you need to be up on.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-16-2019, 07:10 AM)ajack Wrote: Has anyone mentioned vinegar yet? it;s mold and mildew you need to be up on.

...or bleach (with some care), or baking soda, or metabisulphites (potassium or sodium, take yer pick), even potassium permanganate (kewl, it turns the water purple), and even those iodine drops one is advised to use to wash produce in places where their handling and growth might involved fecal material or hepatitis. Many ways to sterilize surfaces.

When I wash my hose, I rinse it with slightly soapy water first, rinse with clean water, and then pour some metabisulphite solution into the electrical end.  Swish back and forth for 15 seconds, drain, rinse with more fresh water, and drape it over the shower curtain until bedtime. (Close toilet lid when you flush...or else!!)
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have mentioned, you should not have any issues submerging the heated hose in water when you clean it. I've been doing that since Sept. of 2018. 

I use hot water and Dawn dish soap. I let the hose soak for about 30 min. or so. I then swish it around good by hand and then rinse with hot water. I then let it hang from our shower curtain rod. I have an S hook that allows me to hang it vertical w/o having to drape it over the rod. 

The hot water and Dawn is used for all of my CPAP equipment. Face mask, pillow, headgear, and hose / mask elbow. I'm very confident that my equipment is as clean as can be.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.