Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

importing from CMS50D+ to sleepyhead on mac
importing from CMS50D+ to sleepyhead on mac
I'm running sleepyhead for the first time on a mac (OS 10.9.5) using v0.9.8-1Testing and I'm trying to load data directly from my CMS50D+ oximeter. It can't find the device and reports no compatible oximeter found

Here's what I did:
1) start the oximeter wizard
2) connect the device using the USB-UART cable to my USB port.
3) select oximeter type CMS550D+/E/F....etc.
4) click import directly from a recording on a device

The program searches for compatible devices and reports that it could not find any connected oximeter devices.

I notice on the wizard start page that it says I need to have the right drivers loaded on my computer. There is a "click here" link to get the drivers, but when I click on it, nothing happens. (i.e. my browser, Firefox, does not open a URL).

Do I need to load drivers? if so, where can I find the right ones?

Is there something else I need to do?

or is this function not working yet?

thanks.

Even smart people make mistakes
Only wise people learn from them
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: importing from CMS50D+ to sleepyhead on mac
Your 50D+ should have come with a little CD that contains SpO2 Assistant and the required USB to Serial COM drivers. You need to install them first. You can then test out you 50D+ with the manufacturer's software. Sleepyhead also gives you the option to import the .SpO2 file the SpO2 Assistant downloads instead of having to do a direct import from the device.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks. It did come with a little CD, but that is for the PC. I can load data into my PC and then move it to my mac where I can load it into sleepyhead (I haven't tried that yet, but it should work according to the documentation). I am trying to do this on my mac so I can eliminate a step.

and, one thing I forgot to mention, when I am doing this I am sure to have the CMS50D+ in "menu" mode which is necessary to transfer data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finally got things to work.

1) you need to load the drivers. I haven't been here long enough to post clickable links, so here is the location of the driver in a way that you'll have to copy/paste/edit: [link removed - link will be added to the wiki]

2) Sleepyhead defaults it's data directory to ~/Documents/SleepyHead....

I had somehow write protected ~/Documents. Of course SleepyHead fails to create it's data directory and does not inform the user of the failure. Lots of things don't work when this happens!!!!

so I write enabled ~/Documents and things are starting to work.

I am now able to upload my pulse oximeter data.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2015, 03:17 PM)dottore Wrote: I finally got things to work.

Congratulations! You've just received one (1) "Attaboy".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
unfortunately, the direct upload for the CMS50D+ is crashing again. I give up. I'll just load it on my PC and transfer.

but if anyone has a fix, please post.

the rest of sleepyhead is GREAT and I love it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a tested work around for the oximeter import crash:

tested on version v.0.9.8-1 (testing) but it probably applies to other version as well.

1) delete sleepyhead from the Applications directory
2) reinstall sleepyhead to the Applications directory (download it again if you have to).
3) select sleepyhead in the Applications directory (do not launch it)
4) type command-I to bring up the info window
5) select Locked (i.e. a check mark in the Locked check box that is near the top of the info window).
6) change permissions to read only near the bottom of the info window (I don't know if this is necessary)

now you should be able to start sleepyhead many times and import oximeter data without a crash. Depending on your security settings you may get a warning each time you launch sleepyhead that it is an application downloaded from the internet, and do you want to launch it. small price to pay for being able to load your data.

I don't know if any functionality is affected by this workaround (nobody does), but my take on it is that you don't need to worry about it.

the alternative to this workaround is to use the software provided with your CMS device, which only runs on a PC, and transfer the data to your mac. Sleepyhead will be able to import the data files without problems.

note that the bug and workaround are reported on sourceforge.net.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-17-2015, 03:17 PM)dottore Wrote: 1) you need to load the drivers. I haven't been here long enough to post clickable links, so here is the location of the driver in a way that you'll have to copy/paste/edit: [link removed - link will be added to the wiki]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules.
-----

I totally understand why the link had to be removed, sorry I posted it but I was trying to put all the relevant info in one place (I hate it when I find partial solutions to problems that don't mention some critical step).

I tried to find the info on driver in the wiki and couldn't. I don't know if it isn't there yet, or if I just don't know how to search for it.

My request is that the moderator add a post to this thread that tells the reader how to find the info in the wiki (e.g. the search terms to use, or the URL of the page, or whatever is appropriate). The drivers are critical and they are hard to find on the internet, so the location of the drivers is a very important part of the solution.

Another possible solution to finding the drivers would be to fix the link in sleepyhead itself that is supposed to point to the drivers. it's broke as of this date (28 feb 2015). But I don't suppose you have any control over that.

again my apologies for breaking the rules.

Post Reply Post Reply
I thought about this a bit more and maybe this is a way to help people find the driver without posting a link to a commercial site.

My difficulty stemmed from the fact that I looked for a driver for the oximeter itself. But that's not the device that needs the driver.

The special cable that came with the oximeter is a device. It is a USB to UART converter and IT is the device that needs the driver.

If you go to the apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and click on it then click about this mac , you will get a pop up.

In that pop up, click more info. This will bring up another pop-up.

In the second pop up, click System Report, which will bring up a window.

In that window, find USB on the left side and click it. This should tell you that your USB port has a USB to UART Bridge Controller. If it doesn't tell you that, then you either don't have the right cable, or its broken or not plugged in and you will need to fix that before going further.

If it does say you have a USB to UART Bridge Controller, there will be a part number associated with it.

Do a google search for the part number followed by driver mac. e.g.
CP2102 driver mac

that should bring up a site with drivers for the device. Look for the mac drivers (there will be windows, linux, android and mac drivers on the page). They are called VCP drivers (Virtual Com Port), just so you know you have the right ones.

Maybe more info than everyone needs, but you never know.

Again, I totally understand the need to stick to this rule. The non-profit status is very important and I wouldn't want to jeopardize it.
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='dottore' pid='101249' dateline='1424204236']
I finally got things to work.

1) you need to load the drivers. I haven't been here long enough to post clickable links, so here is the location of the driver in a way that you'll have to copy/paste/edit: [link removed - link will be added to the wiki]

2) Sleepyhead defaults it's data directory to ~/Documents/SleepyHead....

I had somehow write protected ~/Documents. Of course SleepyHead fails to create it's data directory and does not inform the user of the failure. Lots of things don't work when this happens!!!!

so I write enabled ~/Documents and things are starting to work.

Having the same problem that you were having with the DMS50D+ and my Macbook. I see you posted the link for the download and they removed it and put it on the wiki but I can't find it. Can you please repost or point me in right direction to find it in wiki.
Thank you
Josh
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble importing data to Oscar bubbafoxus 2 88 03-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: bubbafoxus
  Importing Oximetry data billmelk 1 135 03-10-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Need Computer drivers for Contec CMS50D+ Oximeter TomElgin 3 236 03-02-2024, 05:27 PM
Question Importing Data Only After A Certain Date ResMed AirCurve 10 somewherein413 4 336 02-14-2024, 05:40 PM
  OSCAR crash importing Well O2 Max data RobertFz 7 428 02-01-2024, 10:04 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Oscar importing csv files + O2 Insight Pro import eflat 1 363 10-24-2023, 10:10 PM
Question [split] Mac M1 stopped importing BestDreamYet 9 1,100 05-31-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: BestDreamYet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.