Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

inching toward success
inching toward success
So, I have been at this hosehead stuff since July 7. I have to celebrate the tiny improvements I've had so far. It's been a gradual shift of improvement . . . last night I had an AHI 5.1 --- lowest yet.
Big Grin

The night before, I slept in the recliner and did NOT use the machine . . . Then I spent the day yesterday sleeping off and on. Got not a thing done. I was so tired. Was this because I had not used the machine??

Anyway --- can't say I love this machine yet --- but I got some good sleep last night. It seems pretty obvious after my night without it that I need to keep on keepin' on with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: inching toward success
Hi Clementine,
Good goin', just keep up the good work.
I know it has been a struggle for you, but it sounds like you're getting there, great news.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Clementine:
Using a CPAP Mask is not an easy thing to get used to.
Keep on going and don't give up.
We're here to help and support you.
Bompa
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
You have definitely come to the right conclusion. Congratulations on your steps toward mastery. It goes back to the old saw-

How do you eat an elephant??
Answer: One bite at a time!

Keep on taking bites out of this elephant.

It took me about 3 years to get where I am now. A large part of that time, I thought that I had mastered the process. Then I got on this forum and found out about the data that was available. It then took me some time to come up with the specific data card and reader that i needed for my old S8 machine. Once I started looking at the data I found that I had major mask leaks. Got a different mask. Fixed the leaks. Tweaking and experimenting with this and that and finally not long ago got to a place that I felt good about. My AHI was not as low as some others but it was consistently below 5.0 and my leaks were good.

I hope that this does not sound discouraging to you. It is meant to be encouraging. You have found this forum more quickly than I did and you are moving forward. That is absolutely great.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, guys --- I really needed a pat on the back, LOL.

It's a s-l-o-w process, isn't it!

Do I need to see the sleep doc about changing the pressure again, or should I just give the current pressure more time? I am on 15/5 and it's on the auto mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think you will need to change the top end right now Clem. But I do think it would be well to "close" the gap a little by raising the minimum up to around 7 or so.

But you're doing really great! Good job!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well done Clementine, I think you answered your own original question about not using CPAP for one night, CPAP is a treatment not a cure, unfortunately if you want a long, healthy quality of life you will need to use it every time you sleep. Most studies show that depending on the severity of sleep apnea a patient has they start to go back to how they were after a couple of days of non use. Over a week or two they are basically back to where they started before they began treatment. Your not going to be able to sleep in a recliner every night and you can see that it didn't work for you anyway, stick with it and eventually your AHI will be down even further and you will feel even better Smile you do want to try to get your AHI consistently below 5 and as low as possible but you are on your way, it took me a few years but remember this is a life long marathon not a sprint.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much, everyone! Thanks
I needed to feel good about this "journey" I have undertaken with all of you. Now, I hope my AHI does not go higher than 5.1 tonight but it might. I assume it will be somewhat up and down . . . and life will go on/won't get too stressed over it . . . . just hoping the general trend keeps going downward.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Clementine congrats! 6 Months or so for me. I know just how you feel, it's a journey. There will be forward and backwards just keep moving along as forward as you can and don't quit.

Oh yah don't eat any elephants either, yucky, lol.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2014, 08:53 PM)Galactus Wrote: Oh yah don't eat any elephants either, yucky, lol.

and you know this how??? I heard they taste like chicken.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,599 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,824 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 545 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
Cool Success story. ASV - switched from full face to nasal mask 00derek 2 900 11-25-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Another Collar Success Story MickTravis 12 1,842 04-02-2023, 08:44 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Success! joepublic23 2 569 01-31-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: joepublic23
  Anyone have success with Straterra / Atomoxetine Resmed10user 1 752 01-01-2023, 02:03 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.