Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

insomnia & cpap not giving restful sleep
insomnia & cpap not giving restful sleep
The depression & frustration I feel is due to one thing. Not waking up rested. I've had two sleep studies over the years, both diagnosed as sleep apnea. Ok, so I go on CPAP the first time and they fitted me with a full face mask that I found annoying and uncomfortable while trying to sleep but I still wore it for a few months and did not wake up rested. I returned the CPAP. My life is no better. Doctor's are describing medication's for my depression, insomnia and pain medications. Still no help. Went back on CPAP, nasal pads this time. It still does not wake me up rested but my wife likes it because I don't snore or gasp for air while sleeping. Everyday is the same for me, always tired, weak, no ambition to do anything. Frequent headaches and my body aches all over.
I'm hoping somebody on this forum has had my dilemma and if they got help to correct this problem and what the solution is. I live in Broward County Florida.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: insomnia & cpap not giving restful sleep
Since I am brand new to the cpap I don't have any great suggestions. However, I can at least tell you I can definitely sympathize. I have no drive whatsoever. All I want to do is lay down and rest. Doctors are changing meds around for depression and anxiety. I am hoping regular cpap use will help a great deal. Seems like your pressures might not be right or maybe the mask. I have found the hybrid mask quite comfortable. Wish you best of luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Seems like the issue is that you are giving up too quickly on CPAP.
Many of us started with aches, pains, et cetera.
And, many of us took some time to become accustomed to being tethered to a machine with a big plastic thing on our face.

It takes time to feel better; and it takes resolve to make it work.

The most important thing you said was: "my wife likes it because I don't snore or gasp for air while sleeping."
It means it works -- you just have to give it a chance. The solution you've asked for is: Just do it. (Did I steal that from Nike?)
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum doowop44!

I was wondering the same thing as justMongo. How long have you been on CPAP therapy?
It definitely takes time. It took me over 3 months to stop waking up early with SA morning headaches. I thought they'd never go away. And until you start having a more restful sleep you are going to feel tired.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DooWop44, I agree that it is important to stick to the CPAP because it will definitely improve your health (and of course, it makes your wife happy...) That said, I have had a similar experience to yours in that I still do not feel rested in the morning even when I think I have gotten a full night of sleep. I have been using my cpap for 5 months. At my sleep doc visit this week he told me that about 10 percent of people still have significant daytime sleepiness despite using their cpap device correctly--that is correct pressures, no or low leaks, consistent use, etc.

Keep at it, maybe you will be lucky and things will get better, as seems to be the case for most people.

Best of luck,

Charlie Sue
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely stick with it, but depending on how long you have been trying, it could be that your settings are suboptimal. Please fill in the profile info and consider posting data - if your machine tracks data
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi doowop44,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I know CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, but just stick with it and don't give up on it.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success as you continue your CPAP therapy the second time around.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2016, 04:24 PM)Sleepyabby Wrote: Since I am brand new to the cpap I don't have any great suggestions. However, I can at least tell you I can definitely sympathize. I have no drive whatsoever. All I want to do is lay down and rest. Doctors are changing meds around for depression and anxiety. I am hoping regular cpap use will help a great deal. Seems like your pressures might not be right or maybe the mask. I have found the hybrid mask quite comfortable. Wish you best of luck!
Hi Sleepyabby,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you much success with your CPAP therapy.
I know it can take some getting used to, but just hang in there.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, first off, I would like to thank all of you who responded to my first post here. It makes me feel that I am not alone in how I feel.
Since my first post I've added more information about myself.
I was able to use the Sleepyhead program to diagnose the memory card from my resmed Cpap machine.
It seems, that the machine is functioning properly. No leaks, AHI= 0.00 and got 16cmH2O of air. What does this mean? CPAP is not my problem??? It's just me not functioning properly???
I must have some neurological reason for insomnia and not waking up rested every day.
Not sure where to go from here?Huh
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  CPAP not helping with sleep. Cheyne-Stokes or PB? BigBobulous 3 142 03-11-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 438 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 270 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 181 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 323 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.