Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

intermittent sky high leak rate
RE: intermittent sky high leak rate
ResMed has a Flow Limits chart which is a "Flatness" index (0-1) with one being worse. The other measure is a smaller 'volume' interpreted as a restriction of the flow rate based on a moving average being defined as the norm.

Treatment for Flow Limits, also RERA, Hypopnea, and UARS, is pressure support, the difference in pressure between inhale and exhale. EPR on ResMed CPAP class machines does mimic true pressure support but only at 1,2, and 3 cmw. BiLevels can go much higher and with smaller steps, typically .1 or .2 cmw steps. On a machine without Pressure Support, such as PR CPAP machines, where pressure is the only therapeutic too, increased pressure is used. (Pressure Support is better)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2020, 03:27 PM)bonjour Wrote: ResMed has a Flow Limits chart which is a "Flatness" index (0-1) with one being worse. 

AAARRGGHHHHHHH, I've been looking at Flow Limit plot since day one with my new CPAP, and have always assumed it was referring to the percentage of the air flow that was being blocked!!! So, I thought a .5 Flow Limit meant there was a 50 percent reduction in the volume of air that made it to the lungs!!

A proprietary parameter that isn't what the title appears to specify is not terribly helpful as it could/should be. At least now I realize a Flow Limit might not be as devastating as I first thought!

Again, thanks for the clarification.

AB

PS:BTW, regarding these tidbits of information you and Dormeo recently conveyed to me.....where is this and similar information written? The Clinical Manual doesn't define what these terms mean or how they are derived.
Post Reply Post Reply
Technically a flow limits could be a 1% reduction which is insignificant.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the information about an arbitrary scale for a flatness index may not be in the Board's resources, but a whole lot else is. If you haven't already, take a look at the Wiki (link at top of page) and the Oscar Help Wiki (linked from Oscar, which is also at the top of the page).

I share your admiration for the Board and the incredibly knowledgeable people who volunteer their time to run it, build its resources, and work on Oscar. If there comes a time when you'd like to contribute, there's a donate link at the top of the page.

Some flow-limited breathing may not be any kind of problem at all. But a lot of FLs will often be tiring and mess with sleep architecture. Sometimes the best way to gauge what is working well or not requires some qualitative self-observation, as well as quantified description.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been in the WIKI before, multiple someones worked very hard to put it together, it is a masterpiece! But, it's not for the beginner due to the depth and the magnitude of the detail it contains! Despite that, I do read it and will continue to read it. At some point in the future after I get myself up to speed with apnea related tech talk and get trained, I'll use it significantly more.

AB
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 81 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 860 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.