Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

introduction I guess
introduction I guess
Hey All,
I've been reading a bit here for the last few weeks. Thanks for making all this information available to curious folk like me.
Long story short, I found out that if my neck measures more than 18 inches at my next DOT physical in April I was going to need to get a sleep study and since my neck is 18.5 inches, and we have over 100 drivers where I work, I figured I get out ahead of the rush and do it before I couldn't get an appointment.
Got my initial sleep study a couple months ago. I didn't get a copy of it yet but I will, I promise. Dr. Sleep seemed concerned. AHI 97 on my back and 60's on one side and 70's on the other. He called back to the sleep clinic and the couldn't get me in for a titration study for another month and he was looking around for an auto machine to send home with me. As my luck would have it, they called right back and got me in 8 days later. Wellllll, over a month after my titration study they finally called me and said it went well AHI 2.something but a significant difference in pressure from my back to my side so they would write a script for an Auto machine. A couple days later the DME called me and said they got the script and will call me when they get insurance approval. That was a week or two ago.
I've been sleepy for 20 or more years and just thought it was normal. Now I'm excited to see what refreshed feels like and I still don't have a machine. Boo Hoo for me.
All the Doc's office said was that it would be an Auto machine and had cellular built in so they could check it remotely. When the DME finally calls me are there any machines that meet that description but aren't data capable? I want to know what to avoid if I end up with a choice.
I guess I didn't do to well with the short part, but hey, I tried. Nice to meet you all.

dug
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: introduction I guess
Hi SleepyWrench,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your questions and good luck to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
For auto CPAP you want either a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or a Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto. Both offer good auto-CPAP function and full data, as well as data transmission to your provider. Both can be used with free software #Sleepyhead, to help keep you fully informed of your progress and to deal with any problems.

You should be on the phone several times per week bugging your DME to get you the prescribed machine and to set an appointment time to get mask fitting and the machine. You should also ask your doctor's office for a copy of your prescription and sleep study. You may need those records in the future. Call the insurance company for an in-network provider list and to find out if they allow purchase rather than rental. This will keep you from being run-around even more. You do not have to use the provider your doctor referred you to, but will want an in-network provider. If your DME does not schedule an appointment to dispense a machine by next week, let them know you plan to use your prescription to find an in-network supplier that can get the this done. I think you will find it motivates them. Also try to have the machine purchased rather than rented. You may need to verify with insurance what your options are for this.

You should not accept the Resmed "AirStart" or other brands of machines like Remsmart, Apex and certain others unless you check here first. Some machines do not supply data, or are just inferior. You can have a top-tier machine, and it won't cost you any more than a cheap one.

If you spend a lot of time on the road where you might have to rely on 12-volt DC power, the Philips machine is easier to adapt to a battery since it uses 12-volt power. The Resmed Autoset is a great machine, but requires 24-volt DC power. That is resolved with a DC converter that costs about $90.

It's ridiculous you have had to wait this long. Get the prescription, and post the specifics, and we can help you further. Under U.S. law HIPAA, you are entitled to copies of your health records, prescriptions and test results. Don't take no for an answer. Also be aware that as a commercial driver, your job and income can be subject to compliance with CPAP therapy. It is very important that you get the equipment, learn to use it and actually get comfortable with it. DOT can keep you from driving if you don't use the machine and submit compliance reports through your supplier, doctor or personally. Get the appointment or change suppliers to one that is more responsive. Who is this supplier?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the board and good luck, I hope you have a good machine soon.

Do not set yourself up for disappointment thinking you will have an instant change in being tired. Some do, most don't. It will happen, but it might take a while. Plan on sticking with it, and plan on having your machine with you so if you take a nap you can use it.

The treatment does work. The most common complaint it with masks - normally you can try a different mask than the one you start with if it isn't working out. Don't let the DME bully you, most insurance will allow at least 1 early swap to a different mask.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick response and the good info. As to the DME, it's a local company. Dr. Sleep told me there were two local companies and Lincare. I have heard nothing good about the Lincare here so I went with the local guy they said they had good luck with. I hate making decisions without being informed.

Luckily I'm not a driver. I'm a mechanic. I do have to drive most every day, either just in and out of the shop or taking the wrecker out to bring in breakdowns. But at least I get to go home every night.

Looks like I'll be looking for phone numbers and some spare time during the day.

thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Frank,

Thanks for the warning. Obviously I'm hoping for a miracle but not really expecting anything. I never knew I had any trouble sleeping until they told me. Heck, I can sleep 20 or 30 hours at a clip if I can get a snack in there somewhere and don't have anything to do.

I think they told me I used a p10 in my titration study. Whatever it was it was nose pillows. I never thought I'd get to sleep with a squid latched onto my face and a few minutes later I was sleeping. I woke up about 6 hours later to pee and my nostrils were a little tender at the openings but I went back to sleep for a couple more hours and they were fine when I woke up to go home.

The sleep tech did say he was surprised because I didn't take as much pressure as he thought I would so maybe I'll have it easy. Oh yea, and my O2 didn't drop as much as he figured with the numbers I had recorded. I don't know. I'll eventually get a machine and get it all figured out. I just have to have a 30 report showing compliance by sometime in April so I don't have any troubles with my license. Not being sleepy all the time would just be a bonus. I just figured that happened when you grew up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SleepyWrench and welcome to the forum!

Glad you found us and are getting great advice with which to make your machine and provider selections. Here is a link to further help you in choosing a machine that's right for you:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine

Good luck and keep us posted!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I just got off the phone with the DME. I go in Monday at 1pm. They will have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for me. I'll let you all know how it goes.
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
That's the machine and timing you needed. You're on your way. Glad to hear you will be sleeping properly after this weekend.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member - Introduction cramseur 3 636 02-18-2022, 02:55 PM
Last Post: cramseur
  Introduction - Started 09-29-2021 omalley576 9 1,182 11-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] New forum member introduction and questions Jadazu 7 1,038 05-18-2021, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Jadazu
  [CPAP] Introduction Knitman 133 7,891 02-04-2021, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Introduction and 1 week in darrenk 7 1,105 12-30-2020, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Introduction- and Journey melodyknit0375 74 6,951 12-25-2020, 12:31 PM
Last Post: Knitman
  Introduction asheq 7 1,008 09-22-2020, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Cpapian

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.