Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blister redness on bridge of nose
RE: Blister redness on bridge of nose
I don't have privileges to post links but do a search on Sleepweaver fabric masks. I haven't tried one yet but think I will.

I went searching because I started to go red after an hour with a pillow. I tried making a liner for my nasal mask and impregnated it with coconut oil and while it seemed to work I opted for a coating of calamine lotion and letting it dry. Zinc sun cream could be effective but I know I have a general allergy to creams, possibly the emulsifier so haven't tried it.

Maybe coconut oil, generally recommended as a skin lotion, could help keep your liners in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know the chin straps are awkward. I have found that using one provides a significant improvement in my therapy so I have convinced myself that the strap is not "awkward" it is "cozy" Smile
Also I have read here that, using a chin strap over time, one can sometimes train themselves to keep their mouth shut and can stop using the strap.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2015, 08:14 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: I know the chin straps are awkward. I have found that using one provides a significant improvement in my therapy so I have convinced myself that the strap is not "awkward" it is "cozy" Smile
Also I have read here that, using a chin strap over time, one can sometimes train themselves to keep their mouth shut and can stop using the strap.
I used the sleep weaver last night with the chin strap and struggled to sleep, after 2 hours of pulling on all the Straps got up took off the chin strap and covered my mouth with tape. I did not sleep well at all and woke up feeling very tired with a sore dry throat. The only good thing is that the redness on my face is healing
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to add that having red skin, or blisters, can become very serious. They are the beginning of a pressure sore (aka, bed sores) which you want to avoid at all costs.

When I first started with CPAP on April 2nd, it took only two nights for serious looking blisters to develop on the top of my nose because of a poorly designed (for me) nasal mask. Since it was Saturday morning by the time we realized the situation was getting worse quickly, the DME was closed for the weekend. So we went to a medical supply store to buy a couple things that may have helped until Monday so I could get to the DME to get a nasal pillow mask. Both the medical supply owner and the DME supplier were stunned how fast the sores had developed and were very obviously concerned. A couple more days without intervention would have created a serious medical problem that was probably more dangerous than the apnea that I was trying to stop.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you would like a mask liner that will not slip out of position, try the Padacheek mask liner for your particular mask. Google Padacheek products and look for mask liners. They are not cheap but they are good and have a built in nose protector. They last for a fairly long time.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 11:46 AM)PaytonA Wrote: If you would like a mask liner that will not slip out of position, try the Padacheek mask liner for your particular mask. Google Padacheek products and look for mask liners. They are not cheap but they are good and have a built in nose protector. They last for a fairly long time.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Padacheek liner sounds great! I struggled last night with the Sleepweaver Mask woke to a bad case of Aerophgia unlike with the Quattro FFM I did not experience that at all. I'm new to this and realize no mask is perfect but would like to ask what mask would anyone recommend next thinking Nasal Pillows, Res Med Air Fit 010, Nuance Res Med Mirage Swift or Wisp. I know very little about these and would do great with the Quattro if I could stop all the reactions. Just wonder if I need to stay with FFM because of my mouth breathing?? My appointment is this coming Wednesday with the company and due for another mask.
Thanks to everyone for all the help!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-12-2015, 01:49 PM)Judy1843 Wrote:
(07-12-2015, 11:46 AM)PaytonA Wrote: If you would like a mask liner that will not slip out of position, try the Padacheek mask liner for your particular mask. Google Padacheek products and look for mask liners. They are not cheap but they are good and have a built in nose protector. They last for a fairly long time.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Padacheek liner sounds great! I struggled last night with the Sleepweaver Mask woke to a bad case of Aerophgia unlike with the Quattro FFM I did not experience that at all. I'm new to this and realize no mask is perfect but would like to ask what mask would anyone recommend next thinking Nasal Pillows, Res Med Air Fit 010, Nuance Res Med Mirage Swift or Wisp. I know very little about these and would do great with the Quattro if I could stop all the reactions. Just wonder if I need to stay with FFM because of my mouth breathing?? My appointment is this coming Wednesday with the company and due for another mask.
Thanks to everyone for all the help!

If you decide to go with a nose pillow mask (no mouth breathing!), in the past three months I have used both the Swift FX and the AirFit P10. No real issues with either one (now I have a backup), but for now I am going to stay with the P10. It is much lighter (not a big deal either way), but makes much, much, less noise; almost silent. Sometime I have to open my month just to make sure that my airway is pressurized. If noise is a possible issue, go with the P10 at least between these two models.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a severely broken nose years ago which makes the weight of the mask hurt like hell, even now. After trying 4 different asks, I love the Mirage Liberty. It covers only your mouth (for us mouth breathers) and has two nasal pillows that rest in your nose. Nothing on your nose and makes wearing glasses easier too.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a blister developing, but on the right side of the nose. Not sure why I am getting one only in this area as I would think if the mask were too tight I would get a blister on both sides of the nose. Maybe I'll try putting a band-aid under the mask in the area. If I loosen the mask I tend to get leaks and higher AHIs.
Post Reply Post Reply
I posted this in another thread, but I'll mention it here since it seems relevant. I find band aid brand fingers and toes blister gel guards protect my nose quite well. I think the box just says toes now but the dimensions are the same as fingers and toes. They are thick and comfy and really do feel like a second skin. I have also used them on my feet for hiking. The adhesive is very strong and I've actually been thinking about using them on clothes before putting them on my skin to make early removal less of an event. Sometimes I just leave them on for days since they are designed for multi day use.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,810 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 151 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,976 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.