Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

is this normal or is this Canada?
is this normal or is this Canada?
Made some calls today as I am not sleeping well at all, and the stress is NOT helping with the insomnia. Background - I had initial sleep study in end of July. Got results Aug. 20, and prescription for CPAP set at 6. Got loaner machine about 2 weeks ago (tried side sleeping in between, apnea is positional but want to get a machine under my insurance so I have to proceed now).
So I booked titration sleep study - for next Friday Nov. 6.
Today I made some calls - it will take a month for the dr to get results and then he wants me to use new setting for 2 weeks before I see him. So I'm looking at mid or third week in December to see him again.
Is this normal to wait this long? What's it's saying to me is that the level and the apnea is not that critical.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: is this normal or is this Canada?
Yes. It is normal. Took me 6 months from the time I spoke to my GP to when I got the loaner machine and I won't be ordering my own machine for purchase until late November.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about Canada, but when I had my titration sleep study, the following morning been given CPAP script and a list of few places rent machines. They said to use the machine for two weeks and come back to see the doctor

Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare in Canada is a program run by each Province independently except that the Federal government gives cash to the Provinces subject to certain rules, which are rather wide. So how well it is run, how well funded, and what the particular rules are is largely decided by each Provincial government. Originally, back in the 1960's the Federal government funded the provinces plans quite a lot but over the last 50 years this has declined as a percentage of the whole cost, so since "he who pays the piper calls the tune" the provinces are less beholden to the Federal government and the differences between them have become greater as time goes by.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-30-2015, 03:12 PM)zonk Wrote: I don't know about Canada, but when I had my titration sleep study, the following morning been given CPAP script and a list of few places rent machines. They said to use the machine for two weeks and come back to see the doctor

My experience was similar except that they handed me a machine on completion of the sleep test and appointment in one week.

There's a lot less farting around in our system but it only pays a small percentage of the machine cost and nothing for consumables. (Actually that's not quite right - if you get one of those cheapo Chinese machines from the right supplier AND you have the right insurance then the cost is pretty much covered. In my case I ended up with a $4000 VPAP Adapt and got $500 back off MBP)
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's some links to sites about Ontario and the ADP program:

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/progr...manual.pdf
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/progr...131218.pdf
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/progr...manual.pdf

Hope that helps!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the info and the links! I going to try and talk the doctor into an APAP machine, just makes more sense to me. My insurance I have right now will pay the difference or I would just pay it out of pocket, but he has to prescribe it.
I have to say this board is very helpful!
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless you have a crooked doctor who is willing to somehow fudge your sleep study results, if your results don't indicate APAP is medically necessary, you won't get one in Canada. It is not up to the doctors discretion. I have been told they have a strict set of guidelines they must follow as the Gov't of Ontario does check up on every APAP machine prescribed.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2015, 06:22 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Unless you have a crooked doctor who is willing to somehow fudge your sleep study results, if your results don't indicate APAP is medically necessary, you won't get one in Canada. It is not up to the doctors discretion. I have been told they have a strict set of guidelines they must follow as the Gov't of Ontario does check up on every APAP machine prescribed.

Remember that each province runs their medicare program themselves and the rules may change from province to province. I live in B.C. for example, and they charge a premium for it, the only province in Canada that does. Others just take the costs out of general revenue.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2015, 06:22 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Unless you have a crooked doctor who is willing to somehow fudge your sleep study results, if your results don't indicate APAP is medically necessary, you won't get one in Canada. It is not up to the doctors discretion. I have been told they have a strict set of guidelines they must follow as the Gov't of Ontario does check up on every APAP machine prescribed.

+1. At least in Ontario, OHIP requires your titration scores from your sleep test to be included in the package that is sent to the ADP in order to get funding. The DME won't get the money from ADP if there's no evidence that you need a certain machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 206 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  erratic flow rate graph on ASV normal? jaredihnen 2 253 01-24-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen
  Frequent hiccups in flow rate. Normal? JulieK 19 1,693 11-28-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: PunchIt
  Is this normal - no breath for over a minute? Pizzafoundry 12 848 10-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Pizzafoundry
  [CPAP] Airsense P11 hose-dry function ends with loud burst - normal? jharuni 5 726 10-13-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: jharuni
  Normal for exhale peaks to be much greater than inhale peaks? stony82 4 536 09-20-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: stony82

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.