Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

itch right after getting mask on...
RE: itch right after getting mask on...
I usually get a small itch right on the top of the nose. I look at it as a way of making sure I turned on the machine. If I feel the airflow when I reach under the mask, then I am good to go. I have been known to get up at night, hit the can, put the mask back on and forget to turn the machine on. Big Grin

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
Have had it happen a few times. With nasal pillows, it is maddening! I try to wiggle the pillows a bit to relieve the itch, but only manage to create a bad seal, then leaks. So have to get up anyway, take mask off, take care of itch and start over. Annoyed-and-disappointed
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have itching in your nose, it might be the hair in your nose causing the problem.
As far as using powder, I would think that might cause the mask not to seal, just a thought.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
my nose itches just reading this
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I just did some scratching as well, my nose itch usually is on one side or the other of the exterior surface, where air collects and swirls slightly when I use my FFM, it is the area that is not touching any mask parts. also, I find I must check my skin for those nearly invisible hairs, and pluck them. high maintenance!

I also put my mask on without the tubing, for a few minutes, to validate that I am not going to get itchy immediately.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
We could well do with some kind of joy-stick probe device installed on the mask with a scratcher on the end of it. I'd buy one. While were at it, I'd like a quick air dump valve on the mask so I could mark the time on the graphs when I want to record some event, such as changing sides or rolling over to my back, etc. That would be a handy thing and very easy to insert in the air hose. I just pull the mask away from my face now to get that spike mark on the graph but that often upsets the seal and requires some hassle getting it back in place properly. A dump valve would be great and a person could make multiple spikes to stand for different acts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2015, 02:22 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: I do a preemptive rub and scratch. It works about 75% of the time.
I do that too. I also just put on the mask loosely without turning on the machine, and wait for the itch. Then I can remove the mask and scratch at my heart's content. If the itch doesn't start after a few minutes, then I lie there and wait for it. Sometimes my brain plays a cruel joke and no matter how long I wait, it never comes until three seconds after I cinch the mask. Can't win.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2015, 08:36 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: While were at it, I'd like a quick air dump valve on the mask so I could mark the time on the graphs when I want to record some event, such as changing sides or rolling over to my back, etc. That would be a handy thing and very easy to insert in the air hose. I just pull the mask away from my face now to get that spike mark on the graph

Great idea. I was thinking along these same lines. I just figured out a day or two ago that I have a quick release elbow on the front of my mask...

General reply:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Well not glad to hear that you all have to go through it too... you know what I mean. Smile

The coffee stirrer tip sounds good. Much better than a coat hanger!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,525 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,209 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,751 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] ITCH: No rainout, no condensation PeakyO2 0 539 10-15-2021, 10:33 PM
Last Post: PeakyO2
  Help with mask, Definition of EPAP/IPAP and Mask Pressure wesozzzz 1 1,094 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask? ChinaMan 5 2,423 10-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Last Post: ChinaMan
  Changing mask from p10 resmed to philips respironics: Mask seal issue Visitor 10 4,832 10-11-2019, 07:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.