Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Confused
Confused
I need a new CPAP and struggling with dme. Trying to get one before recall and dme said insurance denied. Called insurance last week, and they have no record of any request for a new CPAP since 2012. So now dme has said the provider ordered a machine (an older one) because they said the provider wrote the script that way. The provider script was not written the way they said it was. 
So not wanting to get an old machine, I am desperately trying to be better informed and pick the machine. Even if it means waiting.
What is best dreamstation 2 or airsense 11?
Help! Need guidance to pick my machine for next 10 years. Wisdom? Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Confused
I am certain the algorithms in the newer machines have not changed significantly.
Therefore choose the ResMed. Here we have seen better success and more optimized therapy with ResMed. The "secret " behind this is their implementation of EPR which makes their (ResMed) machines act as the more advanced BiLevel machine. Philips claims their flex is is similar, it is not.

Scan the forum for stories of DS1 users who have switched to ResMed because of the recall. Pretty commonly they needed help with settings, once the good people here helped with that they state that their therapy was significantly improved and if they had realized how big of a difference their was they would have switched earlier.

Bottom line, ResMed hands down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, it sounds like your DME is uninformed. You do not have to stick with them. Call your insurance and get a list of (DME) providers. Then start calling them to get a feel on how they operate.

Ask your doctor to write a new script naming the ResMed 10 AutoSet and ask him/her to send it over to your DME.

If necessary, get your insurance involved. I had to do this a year ago and initiated a three-way call between myself, DME and insurance... as my DME wasn't cooperating.

It may take some time and effort on your part, as it seems some DME's are dragging their feet now especially with the recall.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ex DS1 user. What Gideon said is true. I now wished I had a Resmed all along. 

Opal is also correct. The best way to think on it is They all work for you. You are paying for their service. They can all be fired and you can choose someone new.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
xPAP System Choice
There are lots of reasons for xPAP system users to choose a ResMed over a Philips system: Better sleep algorithms, friendlier designs, their listening much more to end-users when it comes to design/development of its products, keeping their system more 'open' for 3rd party software interfaces, etc. etc.

There's a lot of new awareness as a result of Philips now disclosing that they had used defective foam in their devices for over 10 years.  What's worse is Philips' subsequent reaction to the 4 million end-users world-wide.  They've told users to immediately stop using their devices and purchase something else; while still being months away from providing a 'fix' or replacement.  

When I chose my Philips system, 7 years ago, my DME said that Philips and ResMed were about the same - but all my DME's trial systems, loaner units, and initial inventory were almost all Philips.  My sleep center used Philips machines too.  I saw that as an overwhelming 'endorsement' for Philips, even though DMEs 'use' their units and 'pay' for those devices differently than end-users, all while having a direct relationship with the manufacturer.  There were likely many other reasons why my earlier DME had many 'extra' Philips systems.  

Philips is excellent at marketing to 'recommenders'; their real "customers".  Recommenders (DMEs, hospitals, doctors, etc.) will bring them thousands of future orders, a strong market share, and shield the company from end-user complaints.  Regrettably, in the U.S., perhaps as a result of the significant regulations behind medical device products and their distribution, it's been more difficult for other smaller companies to sell into.  As a result of Philips' significant size, they were well willing to make that investment.  ResMed has the product competence to do well in any market as their appeal seems more towards providing end-user long-term satisfaction.

ResMed is focused on only doing one thing as well as they possibly can.  The end-user ventilator market represents only a fraction of Philips' business.  Philips stated recently that they're not going to be selling (for money) DreamStation 2 systems for perhaps a year, as they're going to be needed as replacement systems (eventually) for recalled Philips devices.  Philips may no longer carry that marketing advantage that they've had with DMEs, hospitals, etc., which will likely affect how DMEs promote the Philips brand in the future.  Although Philips will eventually be shipping a lot of DS2 devices into many markets at no cost, or with DME incentives, end-users may not be as appreciative of the Philips brand - and end-users are indeed very long-term customers.

My dental office is another example of Philips excellence in product marketing.  There are product brochures and discount coupons in every room for choosing Philips branded electric toothbrushes. They even offer electric brushing systems as occasional prizes.  One of the dental technicians explained to me that the staff really likes it when their Philips representative visits.

Philips recalled device owners will eventually get a 'fixed' Philips xPAP system, that will become their backup system to their new xPAP system that they had to purchase as a result of the announcement of the Philips defective systems.  I have no doubt that they'll continue to use their newly purchased (likely ResMed) system, rather than their foam-updated Philips device.  That will likely leave a lot of Philips systems in closets or forwarded to secondary aftermarkets.

As a result, future xPAP system buyers are likely to look more independently at all available brands, and most seem to be choosing ResMed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all so much. Is there any real difference between the resmed black vs the for her model. I don't really care about the color. Is the for her better or not worth it?
Post Reply Post Reply
The for Her is slightly better. But IMHO not enough to worry about.
I would get the for her model if available and may or may not use the additional algorithm. If you can get the standard AutoSet much quicker, go that route.
Post Reply Post Reply
They are the same price. For her has another mode that the other does not have. That being said with the run on ResMed (because of the recall of Phillips) take the one that is available.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 293 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  [CPAP] Confused with CPAP struggles and results dohm 4 359 02-07-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: dohm
Sad [Pressure] Still feeling frustrated/confused after years... Mossify 12 1,088 01-22-2024, 02:43 AM
Last Post: Mossify
  Confused about CA's Julia63 12 717 12-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Confused interpreting sleep data SleepyMcDonald 4 526 11-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New and confused Retvet72 3 466 07-18-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  A little confused. David Clark 12 909 06-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.