Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Catch 22
RE: Catch 22
Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. Find a professional CPAP therapist to help you with fitting your mask. They work with these products day in and day out. They will be better able to help you. As has been said before, getting the right fitting mask is 80 to 90 percent of the solution. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 07:47 AM)Dgsr Wrote: I'm curious what kind of leak rate you have been shooting for with your other masks?

Are you sure you're not just cranking these masks down beyond comfort striving for a 0 leak?

The leaking I can deal with but having a Stage 2 Pressure Ulcer of my nose is the problem.If it reaches stage 3 or 4 it could be fatal.
(04-09-2014, 10:24 AM)Sevensox Wrote: Sorry to hear your having so much trouble. Find a professional CPAP therapist to help you with fitting your mask. They work with these products day in and day out. They will be better able to help you. As has been said before, getting the right fitting mask is 80 to 90 percent of the solution. Good luck.

I've tried 3 different therapists to date .
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 11:02 AM)Bagel Wrote: The leaking I can deal with but having a Stage 2 Pressure Ulcer of my nose is the problem.If it reaches stage 3 or 4 it could be fatal.

I'm not sure you're understanding what I meant.

I meant, to cause that kind of damage with that array of masks, it sounds to me like you have been tightening them too much. Especially with the use of mask liners, etc.

So, when trying out those masks, were you overtightening them?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2014, 11:17 AM)Dgsr Wrote:
(04-09-2014, 11:02 AM)Bagel Wrote: The leaking I can deal with but having a Stage 2 Pressure Ulcer of my nose is the problem.If it reaches stage 3 or 4 it could be fatal.

I'm not sure you're understanding what I meant.

I meant, to cause that kind of damage with that array of masks, it sounds to me like you have been tightening them too much. Especially with the use of mask liners, etc.

So, when trying out those masks, were you overtightening them?

i do not believe so.My wife ,an RN has been assisting me.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2014, 02:30 PM)Bagel Wrote: I was diagnosed with chronic sleep apnea .After trying 6 different masks I still am suffering plus I now was diagnosed with Stage 2 Pressure Ulcer of the nose .Stages 3 and 4 can be fatal.

(04-08-2014, 09:03 AM)herbm Wrote: I am not familiar with all of the masks you list by name, but another idea if you haven't tried it is a TRUE "Full Face Mask" -- one that doesn't touch your nose, but rather covers you mouth, nose, and eyes.
... Such a true FFM will cover the full face much like the mask used by firefighters when entering smoke filled areas.)

Consider the Respironics FitLife:
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/us_en/...efault.wpd

or the Respironics Total Face Mask:

I've tried the FitLife. I think it works best with constant pressure therapy, where there is not more than a difference of 3 between the IPAP pressure and the EPAP pressure. If the pressure difference between IPAP and EPAP is too large, the mask does push-ups on your face every time you take a breath, which can be gotten used to but would be annoying to some.

My main comment about the FitLife mask is that the Large size was too narrow, so I bought the Extra Large size. I have a large head and the Extra Large mask fit me fine, but the Extra Large headgear is very stretchy and stretches out gigantically and absurdly huge. I would suggest ordering the headgear separately from the mask and ordering the headgear at least one size or perhaps better TWO sizes smaller than the mask size.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2014, 03:59 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(04-07-2014, 02:30 PM)Bagel Wrote: I was diagnosed with chronic sleep apnea .After trying 6 different masks I still am suffering plus I now was diagnosed with Stage 2 Pressure Ulcer of the nose .Stages 3 and 4 can be fatal.

(04-08-2014, 09:03 AM)herbm Wrote: I am not familiar with all of the masks you list by name, but another idea if you haven't tried it is a TRUE "Full Face Mask" -- one that doesn't touch your nose, but rather covers you mouth, nose, and eyes.
... Such a true FFM will cover the full face much like the mask used by firefighters when entering smoke filled areas.)

Consider the Respironics FitLife:

or the Respironics Total Face Mask:

I've tried the FitLife. I think it works best with constant pressure therapy, where there is not more than a difference of 3 between the IPAP pressure and the EPAP pressure. If the pressure difference between IPAP and EPAP is too large, the mask does push-ups on your face every time you take a breath, which can be gotten used to but would be annoying to some.

My main comment about the FitLife mask is that the Large size was too narrow, so I bought the Extra Large size. I have a large head and the Extra Large mask fit me fine, but the Extra Large headgear is very stretchy and stretches out gigantically and absurdly huge. I would suggest ordering the headgear separately from the mask and ordering the headgear at least one size or perhaps better TWO sizes smaller than the mask size.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

I am on Medicare .I have to wait till august to get another mask,
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Machine on the way - but catch 22 WarEagle 16 2,119 07-26-2019, 07:06 AM
Last Post: ardenum
  [CPAP] A catch up post..having been around much djjwilly 1 1,903 08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.