Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

just got to keep my mouth shut!!
RE: just got to keep my mouth shut!!
Hi Raebo,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What is the problem you keep having with the chin straps? Do they come off when you're sleeping? If the chin strap stays in place, then the only thing I know to do is tighten it. I find that I have to do that as they wear out.

If you can't get the chin strap to work then you'll have to go with a full face mask or a hybrid mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
there is a nasal and oral mask....mirage liberty. don't know if that will help or not but it is out there
Post Reply Post Reply
I settled on the SP-CHADJ chinstrap after trying several. I haven't had it fall off so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
My husband tried on a few chinstraps at the DME very recently and found one that he likes a lot: Puresom Ruby Chinstrap. It says it is adjustable on web pages but the one he got is not, and that is what he likes about it. He has a long thin face.

My husband had lots of leaks causing sequels and snoring when he used a full face mask. It was making me miserable and wrecking my sleep and he was tired all the time although he was not aware of the noise in the night. It has only been a few days but the Wisp nasal mask coupled with the ruby chinstrap have been like a miracle at our house. Dancing

I think a lot of it comes down to individual face shape and head size. If you can try some different masks and chinstraps on you might find one that fits you better than others.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried a solution from the opposite approach. Rather than repeating myself or making you jump to another thread, I am copy/pasting my suggestion below from another similar thread. I started on full face, which drove me crazy. Now I am happily using nasal pillows AND my mouth stays shut.

"I have the same problem occasionally and tried different types of straps and bands but they all bothered me. It felt too confining and if i had to get a drink or scratch my nose, all that had to come off.

One day i was playing with my dog's play toy, a small foam rubber ball covered in some kind of fabric. NO, i didn't try the used one, but we had some new ones and i placed it under my chin and it worked. At first with my tossing and turning i lost the ball, but my wife sewed a small elastic band to it which goes around my neck loosely just to keep the ball from getting lost. It looks a little funny but for me better than straps over my face."

You can also just roll up a couple of wash cloths and place the roll under you chin. Any thing soft and comfortable...it's way better than more straps over your face.

Darrell
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2013, 07:36 PM)sleepy_one Wrote: It says it is adjustable on web pages but the one he got is not, and that is what he likes about it.

As the chinstrap wears the fabric stretches. I find I have to tighten mine up when that happens.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-25-2013, 09:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(11-25-2013, 07:36 PM)sleepy_one Wrote: It says it is adjustable on web pages but the one he got is not, and that is what he likes about it.

As the chinstrap wears the fabric stretches. I find I have to tighten mine up when that happens.

Do you mind if I ask how long it takes for it to stretch out to the point that it is not useful? Are you talking about the Ruby or a different one?
Post Reply Post Reply
Just curious. Those who use chin straps, do you put them on before you put your mask on?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2013, 10:03 PM)me50 Wrote: Just curious. Those who use chin straps, do you put them on before you put your mask on?

My husband puts his Ruby chinstrap on before his mask, but the two others he tried were supposed to go on after the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 318 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 235 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 809 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,166 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.