Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

just got to keep my mouth shut!!
just got to keep my mouth shut!!
Hi all, first time on here, well I was told about 6 weeks ago i had sleep apnea after some tests. I was given a machine to trial for 4 weeks( after, they want to sell you a machine, for mucho $$$$ may I add). I did well on the trial, but ended up buying my own machine and going solo. I kinda know my # (from the company that gave me the trial machine), so I feel ok in that dept, my thing is, I love the nasal masks, but finding it hard to keep my mouth closed when I sleep. I have tried various chin straps, but to no avail. Is there anything out there that does the trick, if so please let me know. I am up to 6-7 hours of great sleep with no getting up, but I do awake to find I am blowing out of my mouth at least 3-6 times a night. any suggestions.

PS, so glad to have found a forum on this disorder, strength in #'s I say...

Regards..Sleep-well[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: just got to keep my mouth shut!!
I don't have trouble keeping my mouth shut (well, that is partially the truth....I can do okay during the few hours I sleep lol).

Other members will have better solutions and suggestions that I do I am sure. One thing you can try is a full face mask but there are a few trade offs with this.
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing you can try is a full face mask but there are a few trade offs with this.
[/quote]

Hi thanks for your reply, tried a ffm, but seem to sleep better with a nm. Too many leaks with a ffm in my case.

Regards...
Post Reply Post Reply
I read that some members use an ace bandage around their chin and head like a chin strap. Not sure if that will help you or not but worth a shot and fairly inexpensive.

With ffm, you can try using liners with it to help with the leaks.

Welcome.

Happy Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2013, 01:54 AM)me50 Wrote: I read that some members use an ace bandage around their chin and head like a chin strap.

hmmmm, not a bad idea, might give it a try...cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cellikbhoy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
There are quite a few different chinstraps on the market and you will find them at the different suppliers on the suppliers list at the top of the page here on this board and I hope you can find one that will work for you.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm having a similar problem. I switched to nasal masks after using ffm due to mouth breathing. For a long while I've had good luck with the generic chin straps, but find myself, like you, waking during the night blowing from my mouth. I have a ffm for those times when my nose is stopped up, but my mouth gets really dry. None of the other solutions I know about- well really only taping the lips closed with painters tape- appeals to me. Funny thing is my machine records zero leaks with my wisp. I thought for sure that losing the air splint by blowing air out through the lips would record as leaks. Weird.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2013, 01:40 AM)cellikbhoy Wrote: Hi all, first time on here, well I was told about 6 weeks ago i had sleep apnea after some tests. I was given a machine to trial for 4 weeks( after, they want to sell you a machine, for mucho $$$$ may I add). I did well on the trial, but ended up buying my own machine and going solo. I kinda know my # (from the company that gave me the trial machine), so I feel ok in that dept, my thing is, I love the nasal masks, but finding it hard to keep my mouth closed when I sleep. I have tried various chin straps, but to no avail. Is there anything out there that does the trick, if so please let me know. I am up to 6-7 hours of great sleep with no getting up, but I do awake to find I am blowing out of my mouth at least 3-6 times a night. any suggestions.

After trying several chin straps I settled on the ResMed Chin Restraint and have had great results. I too have trouble keeping my mouth shut.
(Not only when I'm sleeping.)Laugh-a-lot
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2013, 01:40 AM)cellikbhoy Wrote: Hi all, first time on here, well I was told about 6 weeks ago i had sleep apnea after some tests. I was given a machine to trial for 4 weeks( after, they want to sell you a machine, for mucho $$$$ may I add). I did well on the trial, but ended up buying my own machine and going solo. I kinda know my # (from the company that gave me the trial machine), so I feel ok in that dept, my thing is, I love the nasal masks, but finding it hard to keep my mouth closed when I sleep. I have tried various chin straps, but to no avail. Is there anything out there that does the trick, if so please let me know. I am up to 6-7 hours of great sleep with no getting up, but I do awake to find I am blowing out of my mouth at least 3-6 times a night. any suggestions.

I used nasal pillows for years and just loved them but old age kicks in and I became a mouth breather.
I tried many chin straps, most of them fell off during the night.
I have since gone to the full face Res Med mirage Quattro mask.
Best CPAP mask move I have made in years, it's a great mask that allows you to open your mouth without loosing pressure.
I highly recommend this mask.
I have been on CPAP machines a very long time and have learned a great deal over that time, may I strongly suggest to you to not let this problem persist.
Your CPAP machine simply becomes a very expensive ineffective blower while your mouth is open subsequently placing your life in constant danger.
Try to never forget just how important this machine is in your life.
All the best to you.
Raebo
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2013, 11:59 PM)Raebo Wrote:

I have since gone to the full face Res Med mirage Quattro mask.
Best CPAP mask move I have made in years, it's a great mask that allows you to open your mouth without loosing pressure.
I highly recommend this mask.

thanks for your reply , i'll look out for that strap...cheers

regards...Jamie
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 7 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,078 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 805 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.