Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

just need to vent
just need to vent
My borrowed apap goes back to the dme friday the 4th.
My appointment with the dr. Is on the 11th. My plan was to purchase apap for delivery this week so I could continue to benefit from the variable pressure. But, my doctor won't approve the prescription for the apap until I have my appointment. All I want is a machine set the way the one I borrowed is set at. This is so much work...

Guess I could slowly increase my cpap pressure eac nite.(cpap set at 12 vs apap range 10 -20.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: just need to vent
Here's the thing: All you need to get an APAP is a script for a CPAP and a reasonable DME. APAPs and CPAPs are billed under the same insurance code, so if the DME is willing to sell an APAP to you they can. If the script says "CPAP at n cm", they'll insist on setting the APAP up in CPAP mode.

Most DMEs, however, will lie through their teeth about this though.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I understand correctly, you will be forced to use a CPAP versus the APAP you're accustomed while you wait for an appointment with the sleep doctor. Maybe you could use your average pressure with the rental APAP, as shown in Sleepyhead, as a guide in setting your CPAP pressure.

Check back here often as I'm sure some of the more experienced users will have more exacting advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
(03-31-2014, 02:31 PM)JimZZZ Wrote: If I understand correctly, you will be forced to use a CPAP versus the APAP you're accustomed while you wait for an appointment with the sleep doctor. Maybe you could use your average pressure with the rental APAP, as shown in Sleepyhead, as a guide in setting your CPAP pressure.

Check back here often as I'm sure some of the more experienced users will have more exacting advice.

I was just thinking that might be a viable option. I've been doing so well, I hate to back track.
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Did your doctor already write a script for the "borrowed APAP"? Legally, a prescription would be required before the DME could dispense one to you.... even for an initial trial period like you've just completed.

If you're not using insurance and you plan to purchase the machine outright, then ask the doctor to give you a copy of the prescription for your own records. You have a legal right to a copy of it - don't back down. If you sense the doc is opposed to APAP, don't bother telling him why you want it - if asked, just say "in case I need it for an emergency when you're office is closed" or some such thing.

Once you have the script in hand, go to any one of the online suppliers and either send them or upload a scan of your prescription. The vast majority of online suppliers don't care that you have a script for either standard CPAP or auto-CPAP. Any prescription for CPAP will suffice, and you can legally order any APAP or CPAP you like with that script.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Even if you are using insurance, ask the doc for a copy of the prescription. Better yet, ask the doc to write it up for "APAP set to xx pressure". Remind the doc that APAP can be set up as a standard CPAP to deliver one pressure all night, while still giving you the option of using the auto mode should the need arise in the future. There are plenty of docs who are willing to do that, generally. Heck, you don't even need a sleep doc's prescription - you can go to your family doctor to get a script for CPAP/APAP.

If you're using insurance, make sure you don't get stuck with a non-data-capable CPAP, and preferably get an auto-CPAP (APAP) which will give you more options in the future. Generally insurance won't replace a CPAP until 5 years has passed. If you accept a lower-quality machine from the DME now and sign off on it, you probably won't get the insurance company to replace it with a better machine until the 5 years is up. Remember, DMEs have a vested financial interest in getting you to accept the lowest-cost machine available. They get reimbursed by insurance for a set amount to dispense CPAP or APAP - it's all the same reimbursement code as robysue explained. They get more net profit by giving you a cheaper machine. Don't get hoodwinked - DMEs lie all the time about the way this actually works.

Also, be sure to read Archangle's Wiki Article on Machine Choices, here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Stand your ground. Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
You should have the Rx -- I keep a copy with me. If I end up in a hospital (which I did in 2010) that shows them I need xPAP; and what my pressure settings are. Get the best machine you can within the constraints of insurance and your own funds.

I recently got an S9 that I run at my Rx settings -- and I am really pleased with both the machine; and the data ability.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
[quote='readyforsleep' pid='64166' dateline='1396292482']
My appointment with the dr. Is on the 11th. My plan was to purchase apap for delivery this week so I could continue to benefit from the variable pressure. But, my doctor won't approve the prescription for the apap until I have my appointment. All I want is a machine set the way the one I borrowed is set at. This is so much work...

So much work? Try starting entirely on your own from scratch.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2014, 08:40 AM)GreyParrot Wrote: [quote='readyforsleep' pid='64166' dateline='1396292482']

YOU ARE RIGHT. IT IS WHAT IT IS. AT LEAST I HAVE YOU GUYS
2010 sleep study 63 AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2014, 08:52 AM)readyforsleep Wrote:
(04-02-2014, 08:40 AM)GreyParrot Wrote: [quote='readyforsleep' pid='64166' dateline='1396292482']

YOU ARE RIGHT. IT IS WHAT IT IS. AT LEAST I HAVE YOU GUYS

Sorry to be rude, but I often wish I had insurance so I could be "legit"
although my treatment is a total success and I'm proud of it.
One good thing about self treating though, it compels you to read
here almost daily. If you do that it will help you learn perhaps more
than your doctor knows. We all "see" many patients a day :>) so learn the pitfalls quickly and get support to continue. Yes it's hard,
but worth it in the end, no matter what you have to put up with.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 467 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,797 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,416 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  [Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30 Catherine101 179 36,183 05-06-2023, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Jay Belmont

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.