Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

just ordered a machine today
just ordered a machine today
ordered a new ResMed S9 VPAP Auto w/ a H5i Heated Humidifier

got a selection of 5 masks as well, to see what ones work well for me

I sure hope I start to feel better and it is not a waste of money
need to start feeling better and also more energy, to be more alert and productive

will this unit deal with most problems?
IRS, a local sleep apnea store said a regular cpap would do, but all they did was one night tests to begin with said I had the worst case they had ever seen and then a one night test during the one week of using their machine. they used the same tester when I had the machine as when they did the first test.

I bought my own data recorder/tester so I could see for sure what was going on. also they sound more like sales men then pro med guys wanting to help.
no showing me test results, always saying there machine is top of the line and at the best possible pricing. when they heard I was going to a proper sleep clinic in the city for testing they were sure pressing to make sure I did not buy the machine the sleep clinic offered saying the clinics one was no good and that theirs was so much better.

I started to smelled sales pitch stink shortly after I started going there as per my doctors recommendation. more wanting sales then to really help their clients

anyways
I hope I made the right decision in picking a machine
wanted one with data, one that would auto adjust to my needs as time went on, one that would get me away from the local guys that seem to not really know much what they are doing or even care but push hard to sell you stuff.

do you guys think I should have picked some other machine?
the mask selection is for backups and to see what works well and feels right, I will fight using it if it does not feel and fit proper. ones that do not feel good will be used as backups if needed.

BTW the masks are expensive, is there a cheap place to get masks?

thanks
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: just ordered a machine today
First, welcome to the forum.
At the top of every page is a link to the "Suppliers List" of good places to shop.

Without knowing what your Doc's script says, we don't know if you are just OSA, or CA, or CSA.

Yes, assuming you got one of the latest revisions, you did get one of the top 2 or 3 machines (somewhat a Ford vs Chevy argument).

Be sure to download and get used to either 'Rescan' or 'Sleepyhead' software to read the data from your machine.

Please note: Masks are the bane we all must deal with. What works great for me, may or may not work for you at all. What 5 or 10 of us here love, you might hate, as all faces are different. If mouth-breathing/keeping your lips closed is not an issue, you'd most likely be better off learning to like either a nasal mask, or nasal pillows - the idea is, the smaller the area, the less the chances of dealing with leaks. Some folks (myself included) must use some type of full face mask (FFM) due to either ouright mouth-breathing, or in my personal case, air hissing out of my lips all night.

The two key areas to watch is:
Leak rate
AHI - in a perfect world the goal is a nightly AHI of less than 5. If you are bad enough, be content with less than 10 - I am. Know that the higher your leak rate is, the more wonky all your other numbers will be.

The goal is to help you sleep better, with less wake-ups while keeping your O2 levels reasonable. Some folks get so 'into the numbers' that the numbers become their all-consuming focus. Yes, it is good to track your data, but know that it *will* vary from night to night - so you must look at weekly/monthly trends - rather than one night at a time.

I've gone from a bad night, AHI of almost 40, to a good night the very next night, AHI of 4 - yes, it really can and does happen.

Some folks also wish to watch their O2 stats, so they buy a recording Oximeter (I chose the CMS50F myself), a wrist mounted unit with a probe that you put over a finger, it can record some 30hrs worth of data, recharges via USB, and comes with software. It is not *needed* by most, but if desating is an issue, some like having one.

Please know that while some may see a dramatic change in days, most folks normally do not notice any benefits for some 3-4 months. Part of this process is how long will it take for you to 'love' your new dream machine?? Finding a mask that doesn't leak, and is comfortable can take some time for many.

Do not get discouraged~! Perhaps some awake practice sessions wearing your mask while reading or watching TV might be useful? Getting to the point that you mask up every single time you sleep, even for 10 minutes is critical to your body getting used to the new program.

Try the new kool-aid, it's quite tasty~!
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi space45,
What Peter_C said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it's good machine. I have one -- see my profile.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2014, 11:14 PM)space45 Wrote: ordered a new ResMed S9 VPAP Auto w/ a H5i Heated Humidifier
Why, if I may ask
Post Reply Post Reply
the IRS seep center sales guys said all I needed was a simple brick cpap, $1500, plus what ever the mask cost, they did not talk test numbers or anything, just that I was the worst case they had ever seen in their career of doing sleep testing, not that I want to have to have a better machine then a simple brick. just thought a better machine would give better info make things nicer and more comfortable and possibly give better nights sleep over time.

it takes way to long to get docs help around here that my getting a machine like they would use for a proper testing and evaluation as well as the fact that my apnea testing machine I bought so I could get more info on this said I was getting a low of o2 of %55-%52 for 3 nights and one night at %47 with long stays in the %60-%69 said I should get a proper machine ASAP

I did and do not trust the IRS guys, they are ball park at best, I thank them for telling me I have sleep apnea, and if it was not for them sending a report to my doc I would have not got the proper over night sleep test at the real sleep clinic. so they are not all bad.

if I was just a mild case and could wait the months and years it may take to get a proper evaluation for my sleep apnea I would not be wasting money on such a high end machine that I may not need, but it is my hope that by the time I do go see the doc I can give him info not only from my RS01 sleep apnea screen meter but from my vpap as well, and also have things more or less under control where all he was to do is verify my results and setting with his own testing. see how close I get to what the doc thinks I should be at.

better to have a machine that will over do thing then one that will not do the job
also I own my own biz and I need to get back on top of things ASAP so getting this sleep thing under control is top of my things to do list, spending a tad more money then needed but getting more productive ASAP and being able to get work done will more then pay off the overage of the machine and masks.

unless I misunderstood what a vpap is and does I should be good to go with doing my own titration test and deal with any of my sleep problems.
it is more important to me to get the best sleeps possible over time, this machine auto tunes and adjust as needed so it should be the best at giving me the best nights sleep over long time periods then other machines.
unless I miss understand what a auto vpap is and does.

(03-20-2014, 01:46 PM)zonk Wrote:
(03-18-2014, 11:14 PM)space45 Wrote: ordered a new ResMed S9 VPAP Auto w/ a H5i Heated Humidifier
Why, if I may ask

Post Reply Post Reply
On your O2 desats, nightly, what is your total time under 88%? I desat all the time into the 50s-60s, but my total time under 88% is usually 3-5 minutes in 7-9hrs.

My average is around 90-91% - and this is while on CPAP.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
will attach reports
this report is made by RS01 sleep apnea screen meter software
not sure if it has all the info your looking for
would be nice to hear back about the reports and what you guys think of them
the software give full graphs and other info

(03-20-2014, 08:02 PM)Peter_C Wrote: On your O2 desats, nightly, what is your total time under 88%? I desat all the time into the 50s-60s, but my total time under 88% is usually 3-5 minutes in 7-9hrs.

My average is around 90-91% - and this is while on CPAP.

Attached Files
.pdf   stan1.pdf (Size: 10.02 KB / Downloads: 147)
.pdf   wife.pdf (Size: 9.63 KB / Downloads: 144)
Post Reply Post Reply
You had some 70 minutes under 80%. That is reason alone to get you on CPAP. Whereas your wife only had 18 minutes below 90%. The 'magic number' for most docs is the '88%' number. Your data only shows either 90% or 80%.

Only being a user, and not a Doc - I can see why you should be on a CPAP, but not your wife. But data is not the entire story, how does your wife sleep? Does she wake up tired all the time? If she used a CPAP, would her sleep quality improve? My wife was tested borderline OSA, but her quality of sleep was so much better on CPAP, that she is on one as well.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 455 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 820 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Doctor ordered a CPAP sleep study melody 11 900 11-12-2023, 11:06 AM
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,211 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Sleep Apnoea test ordered. Ockrocket 11 963 07-30-2023, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Getting New Aircurve 10 Bilevel today slam7241 13 1,175 09-11-2022, 09:17 PM
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,799 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.