Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

keep waking and removing my mask.
keep waking and removing my mask.
I keep waking up and removing my mask at night. This seems to happen after about 2 hours. It only happens every so often. Strange thing is I remove it and hang it up and do not remember doing it Thinking-about Just wondering if anyone else has had this and many knows a trick to stop it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: keep waking and removing my mask.
Hello darkcat and welcome

From 'Tips for new CPAP users' wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

9. Unintentionally removing the CPAP device during the night
It's normal to sometimes wake up to find you've removed the mask in your sleep. If you move a lot in your sleep, you may find that a full face mask will stay on your face better. You may be pulling off the mask because your nose is congested. If so, ensuring a good mask fit and adding a heated humidifier may help. A chin strap also may help keep the device on your face. If this is a consistent problem, consider setting an alarm for sometime in the night, to check whether the device is still on. You could progressively set the alarm for later in the night if you find you're keeping the device on longer.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a habit to work on. One thing you might try? Turn the 'auto-start' to OFF, and turn ON the high leak alarm. Then if you take the mask off without turning off the machine, the high leak alarm will go off - at which point, you must either turn the machine off, or put your mask back on.

And yes, many of us have had this issue Smile

Welcome to the forum Smile
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi darkcat,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Taking your mask off is a common problem, I agree with what has been said so far.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
People report doing this.

Try some strategic TAPE or wrapping -- not enough to make it HARD to get the mask off, cut enough to make is OBVIOUS you are doing it.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone, I will give these a try and see what works.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I figured it out. The times my machine is saying it is shutting off seems to be when my wife goes to bed, I think. She works 2nd shift so goes to bed late and not always at the same time. I am going to have her keep a record of when she gets into bed so I can compare it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, and why would your wife going to bed inspire your machine to turn off? Perchance is your machine plugged into an outlet that gets pulled at when she lays on the mattress?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well this is what I am thinking. As I never remember removing my mask. I think it is happening wile I am still in "twilight"(This is why I never remember doing it). The machine has an auto shutoff and the mask is neatly hung up on the hook for it when i wake up for my alarm. So I am doing this some how. The only correlation I can see in the data is the times my wife goes to bed is about the time the data stops. i.e. the machine turning off. I suppose if I am hanging up the mask I may be shutting the machine off as well. Wish this thing had an event log or something to tell me if it was turned off by the power button or auto off. Well you know wish in one hand. Truth is it is freaking me out somewhat that I don't remember doing this. Hope this explains my thinking better.
Post Reply Post Reply
The timing cant be coincidental. Your wife is taking your mask off you without waking you up.
Maybe she doesn't like the sound it makes. If that is the case then she gets the earmuffs!
Definitely turn off the -auto shutoff mode. The whooshing blast of air will get you up unless there
is a lot of high ambient nose. (loud A/C)

Best of luck with the purpetrator!
Smile
=o.O=
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 388 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 256 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 190 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 302 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.