Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

keeping your mouth closed while sleeping
Sad 
keeping your mouth closed while sleeping
I am super claustrophobic. Attempted to use a full face mask during my last sleep study (September 2013), but couldn't wear it. Since joining this forum yesterday, I downloaded SleepyHead, and have been reviewing my sleep patterns. My AHI was through the roof last night - 28.4! I've got a chin strap and will try to use it tonight along with my pillows system.

I've had obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) since my late teens. About 20 years ago had my first sleep study, and was fitted with a mask that covered my nose and mouth. In the morning I felt great. Best night's sleep I've ever had in my life. Being in a controlled atmosphere did the trick. However, once home I could never adapt to using a CPAP, and quickly abandoned the thing. My latest sleep study only confirmed what I've known for years. Chronic OSA big time. Again I was prescribed a CPAP machine. Since I'm on Medicare now, I had to use it an average of 4 hours a night in order for Social Security to pay for it. I've finally adjusted to a CPAP.

I've had a CPAP, CPAP with CFLEX, and BIPAP. The ResMed S9 AutoSet is the absolute best, for me!. I've also had UPPP done with a laser. For those who haven't done it - forget it. I have a gag rate that would make a sailor blush. The doctor removed my uvula, and most soft tissue on both sides. The only difference is I no longer have a uvula, or what kids call a small punching bag, in addition to having a huge opening in the back of the mouth.

While I've had OSA all my, sleep with my mouth open at night, never used the mouth guard to stop grinding my teeth while sleeping, and not used CPAP to help with my apnea, at last seen the light. Not all of it, but enough to make me want to adjust some.

If anyone happens to reply to this post, don't mention trying to tape my mouth shut. I've had facial hair for 50 plus years and am not going to shave it off. However comments with regards to what they've done to combat this problem are appreciated.

apw5746
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: keeping your mouth closed while sleeping
I also am fairly new at this CPAP thing (6 weeks) and have a tendency to claustrophobia. I started with a full face mask (ResMed Quattro FX) and switched to a Respronics Wisp nasal mask with the hope that it would be less of a "presence" hanging on my face. In spite of chin straps, chin pillows and attempts to train my tongue, I was unable to prevent air from escaping through my mouth and was awakened many times during the night.

Now for the good news. I successfully switched to a Fisher & Paykel Simplus full face mask. The Simplus is larger than the Quattro FX giving your nose and mouth more room inside the mask. The result, at least for me, is a feeling of freedom from restriction and a less claustrophobic experience. The veteran users in this forum will tell you that the best mask for each of us is a personal choice and "your mileage may vary." I can only say, keep trying until you find the one for you. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 01:34 PM)apw5746 Wrote: I am super claustrophobic. Attempted to use a full face mask during my last sleep study (September 2013), but couldn't wear it. Since joining this forum yesterday, I downloaded SleepyHead, and have been reviewing my sleep patterns. My AHI was through the roof last night - 28.4! I've got a chin strap and will try to use it tonight along with my pillows system.

I've had obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) since my late teens. About 20 years ago had my first sleep study, and was fitted with a mask that covered my nose and mouth. In the morning I felt great. Best night's sleep I've ever had in my life. Being in a controlled atmosphere did the trick. However, once home I could never adapt to using a CPAP, and quickly abandoned the thing. My latest sleep study only confirmed what I've known for years. Chronic OSA big time. Again I was prescribed a CPAP machine. Since I'm on Medicare now, I had to use it an average of 4 hours a night in order for Social Security to pay for it. I've finally adjusted to a CPAP.

I've had a CPAP, CPAP with CFLEX, and BIPAP. The ResMed S9 AutoSet is the absolute best, for me!. I've also had UPPP done with a laser. For those who haven't done it - forget it. I have a gag rate that would make a sailor blush. The doctor removed my uvula, and most soft tissue on both sides. The only difference is I no longer have a uvula, or what kids call a small punching bag, in addition to having a huge opening in the back of the mouth.

While I've had OSA all my, sleep with my mouth open at night, never used the mouth guard to stop grinding my teeth while sleeping, and not used CPAP to help with my apnea, at last seen the light. Not all of it, but enough to make me want to adjust some.

If anyone happens to reply to this post, don't mention trying to tape my mouth shut. I've had facial hair for 50 plus years and am not going to shave it off. However comments with regards to what they've done to combat this problem are appreciated.

apw5746

Hi Your comment about taping the mouth shut brought back memories. I have done it. An alternative is to use Poligrip dental strips on your lips. You can cut in half lengthwise form in a v shape and apply. It seems to work well enough. You can open your lips if you want but in the absence of willing to do so it seems to keep them closed

good luck
Apapuser

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi apw5746,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Wow, sounds like you've been through the wringer.
I don't like a lot on my face either because I'm slightly clostraphobic too, so I understand.
Good luck with the chinstrap.
There are other alternatives to the chinstrap here on the board, drgrimes has some goot alternatives he has tried, his posts are here on the board but I'm having trouble coming up with the links.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried several chin straps but the Ruby Red chin strap works best for me. If I find the I'm still dropping that jaw I take a small hard pillow or even dog toy and place it under my chin tightly so my jaw can't drop down. Works like a charm. I have a nasal mask and have a much lower leak rate and AHI using a nasal mask. Also placing your tongue and flattening it behind your teeth helps too.
Post Reply Post Reply
Face hair = check
can't use a chinstrap = check
long-term user = check

Some folks this helps, other folks get rabid when I bring it up. While I do have a FFM that works OK for me, I really dislike using it. I prefer a nasal mask, and I've proven that all my leak issues is 'hissing' through my lips.

I use 'self=talk' on myself while I am falling asleep each night. Reminding myself to not breathe through my mouth, to keep my lips sealed, etc. Some folks have success with this, and some folks feel it is all bunk.

I do believe your mind does not know when you are joking or lying. If you tell yourself that you will die if you breathe the poison air, and that you must only breathe through your nose as your machine filters out the poison - you can try all sorts of self-talk. Nothing to lose here, and it may help.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 02:35 PM)Apapuser Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 01:34 PM)apw5746 Wrote: I am super claustrophobic. Attempted to use a full face mask during my last sleep study (September 2013), but couldn't wear it. Since joining this forum yesterday, I downloaded SleepyHead, and have been reviewing my sleep patterns. My AHI was through the roof last night - 28.4! I've got a chin strap and will try to use it tonight along with my pillows system.

apw5746

Hi Your comment about taping the mouth shut brought back memories. I have done it. An alternative is to use Poligrip dental strips on your lips. You can cut in half lengthwise form in a v shape and apply. It seems to work well enough. You can open your lips if you want but in the absence of willing to do so it seems to keep them closed

good luck
Apapuser

PS if you try the poligrip strips wet your lips slightly to get the strips to hold. Too much wetting is no good and dry will not get the hold started. Bend the strip to fit the contour of your lips. You can use a strip whole centered on your lips or you can cut it in half lengthwise and use half on each side of your lips. I found it to work well

Good luck
Apapuser

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2014, 04:18 PM)Lukie Wrote: I have tried several chin straps but the Ruby Red chin strap works best for me. If I find the I'm still dropping that jaw I take a small hard pillow or even dog toy and place it under my chin tightly so my jaw can't drop down. Works like a charm. I have a nasal mask and have a much lower leak rate and AHI using a nasal mask. Also placing your tongue and flattening it behind your teeth helps too.

I tried, last night, using my chin strap, and it didn't last five minutes. Anything that prevents me from opening my mouth freaks me out. By adjusting my nasal mask some, my AHI dropped to 2.8.

(01-11-2014, 04:30 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Face hair = check
can't use a chinstrap = check
long-term user = check

Some folks this helps, other folks get rabid when I bring it up. While I do have a FFM that works OK for me, I really dislike using it. I prefer a nasal mask, and I've proven that all my leak issues is 'hissing' through my lips.

I use 'self=talk' on myself while I am falling asleep each night. Reminding myself to not breathe through my mouth, to keep my lips sealed, etc. Some folks have success with this, and some folks feel it is all bunk.

I do believe your mind does not know when you are joking or lying. If you tell yourself that you will die if you breathe the poison air, and that you must only breathe through your nose as your machine filters out the poison - you can try all sorts of self-talk. Nothing to lose here, and it may help.

How do you keep the dog toy from coming out when you move side to side? I told myself that breathing from other than my nose would be very harmful. It worked some.

(01-11-2014, 06:13 PM)Apapuser Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 02:35 PM)Apapuser Wrote:

apw5746

good luck
Apapuser

PS if you try the poligrip strips wet your lips slightly to get the strips to hold. Too much wetting is no good and dry will not get the hold started. Bend the strip to fit the contour of your lips. You can use a strip whole centered on your lips or you can cut it in half lengthwise and use half on each side of your lips. I found it to work well

Good luck
Apapuser

Since I use a mouth guard to keep from grinding my teeth, I'll try the poligrip strips to keep the guard from being spit out.

Post Reply Post Reply
For me, since my OSA was *so* bad, that I'm personally a happy camper when my AHI is less than 10. I am 100% compliant, but between leak rates, hissing, etc - plus the fact that I am on opioid pain meds (bad mix with OSA) - I have good nights, and some not-so-good nights. As I am far away much better than without my dream machine I am happy (for the most part) where I am.

Some people get so tied up in number chasing here, remember, the goal is simply better sleep while keeping your O2 levels in a good range. I guess what I am trying to say is, not everyone is going to get to perfect numbers. - Does this make sense?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Peter_C. Makes perfect sense to me. I'm a retired accountant and numbers in this field need to be exact, but in the ball park is fine with me as far as my OSA is concerned.

Pat
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.