Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

keeping your mouth closed while sleeping
RE: keeping your mouth closed while sleeping
Did you ever determine the model of the FFM at the sleep study and try that specific FFM?

I ask, because I have NO IDEA what model, or even brand, that mask at the sleep study was.

It didn't work for me, so I haven't bothered to call the sleep center and determine if they know (or even re-read the sleep study looking for that information.)

EDIT: Found this in the Sleep Study: Respironics ComfortGel Blue Full Face CPAP Mask (with Headgear) -- although I really don't remember the BLUE part and blue is something that I would normally notice, I like blue.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: keeping your mouth closed while sleeping
(02-24-2014, 01:32 PM)apw5746 Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 01:13 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I've switched to a FFM, simply because of my leak rates. It seems that most if not all of my leaks are from my mouth, and when using a non-FFM, I would have bad nights, so-so nights, and OK nights... but never good nights. After finally finding a FFM that woulds reasonably well for me, both my leak and AHI numbers have gotten much, much better.

After using the FFM night after night, I have finally gotten used to it, and my 'rest' is also getting better. I find that I really enjoyed using the 'Wisp', and that I can use nasal pillows, and the 'smallness' of the nasal pillows is very attractive to me. But sadly, for me it seems that I must use a FFM if I want consistent and low numbers.

I struggled with and can't use a chin strap. Self-talk randomly would work, and then it wouldn't work - is to hit-and-miss to rely on for me. I dislike the 'effort' of putting on and/or taking off the FFM (can't just slip it on over my head), can't talk with it on, can't call my dogs with it on, or chat with them during the night (I'm strange, but this is my life).

Seems like I want to have my cake, and be able to stare at it too...

I'm with you almost all the way, especially when it come to talking to my cat. A FFM would put a halt to that. Plus the ease to take off my nasal pillows. However, my first ever sleep study was with a FFM, and it was the best night's sleep I ever had. When I got home it was all downhill from there. Couldn't, wouldn't, give a FFM other than a couple of nights a try

I am really thinking of going back to the nasal pillows/Wisp (switching off between them) simply for the ease of use, and for the fact that I seem to want to do a fair bit of talking when I should be asleep - but that's me...the big problem is I like to have a pattern, and all this changing is messing with my patterns (really am OCD here). But even with the great numbers I've been getting, and the fact that I am falling asleep even more quickly with the FFM on - what can I say? I just dislike it...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 983 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.