Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

laptop battery
laptop battery
the battery in my 4 year old msi gs60 laptop went bad.  I first noticed the case warping.  running hot, fan speed and noise increased.  it would only charge to about 35%, lasted only 20 minutes or less. the windows battery indicator said how much charge was available and appeared to charge.  the battery LED on the case flashed orange.

I disconnected and removed the non-user replaceable battery, which was swollen to 3 times its normal thickness, and replaced it with a third party battery from amazon (none available locally and a fifth of the cost of an msi battery which apparently they don't have in stock anymore).  windows and the computer see the new battery but it won't charge.  orange light continues to flash.  I returned the battery for a replacement which doesn't charge either. indicator says '0% available, plugged in'.

I've done everything I can find with an internet search.  removed and reconnected the battery, tried a second new battery of same make and mfgr, held the reset and power buttons for various prescribed combinations of sequences and intervals, uninstalled and reinstalled the battery and ac adapter devices and drivers, changed all battery power saving settings to 'never' and used another ac adapter from a similar msi laptop with same adapter specs.  still not charging.

has anyone had experience with something like this?  or know how to test and replace the internal laptop charging system?  I'm afraid a mobo replacement will be necessary.

p.s. coincidentally, my samsung galaxy note5 battery did something almost identical.  the new battery lasts a little longer but the battery indicator is often wrong, making me think the old swollen, overheating battery made something go wrong between the battery, charging system and battery indicator calculations. the guy that replaced the phone battery said something about an IC or IC chip and made it sound like it's not worth fixing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: laptop battery
Is there a small hole on the right side of the laptop, where you can stick a paperclip?

Then follow the battery calibration procedure from MSI. I don't think I can link the web site so I'll send it in PM.

Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. Access through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for taking a stab at this. from first post, including the reset button in the small hole:

"I've done everything I can find with an internet search. removed and reconnected the battery, tried a second new battery of same make and mfgr, held the reset and power buttons for various prescribed combinations of sequences and intervals, uninstalled and reinstalled the battery and ac adapter devices and drivers, changed all battery power saving settings to 'never' and used another ac adapter from a similar msi laptop with same adapter specs. still not charging."

windows 10 and each update removes the msi battery calibration utility. it can be very difficult to reinstall and run. even so, battery calibration just runs the battery down to 0 and recharges to reset the % charge available monitor. no help to initiate a charge. I'm guessing it's an internal hardware problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
resurrected & got battery calibration to work after some fussing. the computer immediately shut down when it said it was starting to charge. IDK all that much about these things but to me this bolsters my suspicion it's a hardware is problem. unfortunately I have no idea what to do about it but call around & hope to find someone that does.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why you don't want to short your SLA battery justMongo 17 2,078 03-14-2017, 07:45 AM
Last Post: AlanE
  My Dell Insperon 1525 laptop died justMongo 16 2,523 08-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Dog-Gone, dead car battery justMongo 22 4,345 12-12-2014, 10:25 AM
Last Post: justMongo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.