Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Cervical Collar - amazing!
RE: Cervical Collar - amazing!
(11-22-2017, 07:48 PM)ajack Wrote: The machine settings is able to go to 25, but the algorithm isn't taking it there and is leaving you with OA 5. It's no big deal as it seems you are going to go through insurance. It was just if you were self funding. I wanted you to make sure a 25cm machine was going to be enough and a min 21 with ps 4 may have given that answer.

Insurance- Yes.
Still unsure if you were referring to changing settings to EPAP-25/IPAP-21/PS-4 in what you said above..  
Some EPAP/IPAP/PS setting should allow it to reach 25 cmH20 wouldn't it?  Or would 25-21-4 run it clear to the 25 cmH20 machine limit..
I'm currently set  [PS 4.0 over 13.0-25.0 (cmH20)]   The  Max IPAP last night was 24.40; Or is the .60 shy of the 25 Max not worth thinking about?
Post Reply Post Reply
He (ajack) wanted to see settings of EPAP min 21cm and IPAP max 25cm with PS of 4. It was to see if the machine at max pressures could treat your apnea.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-23-2017, 11:39 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: He (ajack) wanted to see settings of EPAP min 21cm and IPAP max 25cm with PS of 4. It was to see if the machine at max pressures could treat your apnea.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks Walla.
Happy Thanksgiving to you also Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
With insurance, they will sort it out in a titration sleep test. They will work out what type and pressure range machine to use. So the whole premise of my initial post is now redundant Smile

It was the length of time at around 25 and the apnea count. It was in effect going from auto to what is a fixed pressure for one night. If was just that if your OA/H was unacceptable at epap 21/ ipap 25 ps:4, Then that may indicate that need for a max 30 or 40cm machine and any back-up breathing that may be needed. I didn't want to see you buy a 25cm ASV, only to find it wasn't treating you. Just to be clear, I also wouldn't advise anyone to use PS:4 long term, when the machine is going to high pressure.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Felt an update should be forthcoming. It’s been awhile now.

‘Cervical Collar’ in the thread name has become a misnomer as, even though it helped, it is no longer used as it is annoying, hot and puts a kink in a bad vertebrae.  Acute Sinus drainage and skeletal age-related problems mandate back sleeping, so back-sleeping is mandatory.

Still waiting on an appointment next week but thought maybe I would gain some insight with current data to take with me. On my VPAP I have changed the IPAP from 25 to 24, leaving the EPAP-13 and PS-4

I did find out from the cardiologist that LVEF (Ejection Fractions; eg: 40%-45%) is a calculated figure by the technician administering the echocardiogram.  An EF is not a specific number such as 44.8% as it is a variable from beat to beat. One beat might be of a higher volume than the next, thus the final calculation falls somewhere between 40-45% in this example.  If you already knew that, you are smarter than I was.  But, that tidbit just reinforces the [09/01/15] SERVE-HF study (currently accepted LVrEF -'r' meaning ‘reduced’ or <45% for allowed use of ASV) exclusion on low LVEF.

Back to the point; Pondering what AJACK stated about ‘disregarding apnea events going into or out of sleep’,  I re-read RobySue's Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead, particularly Wake breathing and "False" events and  Sleep transition breathing and "False" events in detail.

Following that interpretation; [IMAGE of GRAPHS]The December 5, chart had conveniently been laced with pauses due to repeated mask leaks from strap adjustments, which were finally corrected by 00:40 hours.  This December 5, chart as a whole has an AHI-15.14.  Having introduced the breaks in the graph it allowed me to shut down the events that I KNEW to be transitional sleep and comprised of what was termed SWJ (sleep-wake-junk).  Actually, I see two more SWJ clusters in this chart that I can't click-out where there is an obvious 'going back to sleep' apnea activity.  I have started shutting down the VPAP at around 04:00-ish when I would notoriously wake for a ‘p’ break, knowing the next 2-3 hours would be just laying in bed in a state of SWJ, thus avoiding false elevated AHI numbers.  That same December 5, chart with the SWJ removed was AHI-9.46.  Not too shabby for me and I am confident the lower stats are more accurate.

There is also a chart for December 6, where I just ‘zonked out’ last night.  There is a slew of KNOWN SWJ on the going-to-sleep stage up front, but it can’t be clicked-off ‘cause I did not have a break in therapy in this instance.  AHI-13.96. A quick perusal of this chart with the lead-in apnea mentally blanked out is very encouraging to me. There was NOT a single (nocturia) 'p'-break in the 7:15 period... THAT is alone a major accomplishment!

I will update with what come from the appointment next week in regards to any change in machine, like perhaps an ST-A?
Thanks in advance Z
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have been following the thread by Josephdfco, you know he has the ST-A and I was shocked that his AHI has been consistently low with this machine. I would never have expected results like this for someone with classic complex apnea, but I think this should be looked at if you haven't seen it. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ilating-me

He is still not feeling as rested as possible, and as far as I know he does not have contraindications for ASV, so it would still be nice to go that way, but similar results for you would probably be amazing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 70 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Recommended soft cervical collar? Ynot 7 580 04-11-2024, 09:48 AM
Last Post: cps22
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 336 03-27-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 283 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Has anyone had success with ONLY a soft cervical collar? ranvanman 7 665 02-26-2024, 09:49 AM
Last Post: ranvanman
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 492 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Cannot get my mother to wear a cervical collar: Phaleronic 5 396 01-28-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.