Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

large Leaks and AHI...correlation?
RE: large Leaks and AHI...correlation?
(12-04-2017, 05:09 PM)Sleepster Wrote: The chin strap should be loose enough that it allows you to still open your mouth when you try, but tight enough that your mouth doesn't just fall open when you're asleep.

Mine was definitely too tight...I felt it squeezing my head, so I will try it again a little looser!  Thanks
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a big fan of using a soft cervical collar after having used one for 6 months. I'll never go back to a chin strap.

On leakage, it CAN have an impact on your therapy for a number of reasons....

1 - Leakage results in a loss of mask pressure, which may result in more apnea events
2 - Leakage may result in "flushing" of normal CO2 levels in the mask, resulting in hypocapnia and possibly increased centrals (blood CO2 is what "tells" you to breathe)
3 - Mouth leakage can pose serious comfort issues... dry mouth, sore throat, annoyed sleep partner (wife calls it "Darth Vadering")
4 - High leakage rates make it difficult for the machine to properly log sleep-disturbing events
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 12:13 AM)CB91710 Wrote: 1 - Leakage results in a loss of mask pressure, which may result in more apnea events
2 - Leakage may result in "flushing" of normal CO2 levels in the mask, resulting in hypocapnia and possibly increased centrals (blood CO2 is what "tells" you to breathe)
3 - Mouth leakage can pose serious comfort issues...  dry mouth, sore throat, annoyed sleep partner (wife calls it "Darth Vadering")
4 - High leakage rates make it difficult for the machine to properly log sleep-disturbing events

I would add ...
5 - Leakage may disturb your sleep so you don't feel as well-rested during the day.

I ever do go back to a nasal mask I'll try the cervical collar.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 12:13 AM)CB91710 Wrote: I'm a big fan of using a soft cervical collar after having used one for 6 months.   I'll never go back to a chin strap.

This is interesting....The Cervical collars I have seen would not push up on the mouth enough to keep it closed...I have noticed that my leakage is not from my mouth spontaneously opening but the air inside my mouth seeping and bubbling out between small cracks in my lips...so what collar does this for you?? It sounds like it could be a more comfortable solution (if it works).
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask primer on the wiki tells about cervical collars, including how to size them:

Quote:You are looking for a comfortable fit 2-inches larger than the circumference of your neck and just tall enough to support the jaw when your head falls out of alignment (measure your neck from collarbone to jaw and subtract 1".
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to using only enough pressure to help keep my mouth closed, I found it works best if I wear my chin strap more on my jaw than on my chin. This does two things, helps keep my jaw from falling back when it relaxes and the pressure from the strap pushes my tongue up and aids in forming a seal with my tongue.

I used a two-inch wide stretchy lady's headband across my lips to help with the air pushing past my lips. It  ran across the lips, under the ears and around the nape of the neck. I put it on before my chin strap. Wearing it under the chin strap kept it from shifting. I've learned to control the lip leaks and have no longer use the headband.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have lower (to non-existent) AHI during large mask leaks. Leaks depress my overall AHI. Evidently, the APAP just can't "see"events when there's a big leak. If you want to get an idea about the relationship between AHI and leakage, you can figure this out by highlighting the leak portion of your graph and looking at the numbers above the flow chart graph to see what the AHI is in that portion. Then you'd get a reasonable idea about what is happening to your AHI right then, e.g. is it distorting your night's AHI up or down.

I had to give up on nasal pillows and use a FFM. I've been very happy with the change. I should have done it sooner. I was getting so frustrated! The big leaks I have right now are from trying to scratch my nose; better to pull the whole mask off and scratch to my heart's content!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 09:07 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I had to give up on nasal pillows and use a FFM. I've been very happy with the change. I should have done it sooner. I was getting so frustrated!

+1

Going from a nasal mask to a FFM is not anywhere near as bad as I imagine starting out with a FFM would have been.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 08:51 AM)Allessio77 Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 12:13 AM)CB91710 Wrote: I'm a big fan of using a soft cervical collar after having used one for 6 months.   I'll never go back to a chin strap.

This is interesting....The Cervical collars I have seen would not push up on the mouth enough to keep it closed...I have noticed that my leakage is not from my mouth spontaneously opening but the air inside my mouth seeping and bubbling out between small cracks in my lips...so what collar does this for you?? It sounds like it could be a more comfortable solution (if it works).

That's where the "tongue suck" technique comes in.
It takes time to make it into a habit that continues during sleep, but you can do it during the day to develop it.

Gently close your jaw, push your tongue into the roof of your mouth (tip against the back of the upper teeth), and apply a gentle suction.
That effectively "seals" the tongue and cheeks against the teeth and helps to prevent leakage.

Added benefit is keeping the mouth moist is very good for dental health.

The cervical collar is not a "prop"... it is merely a reminder or guide.   I wear mine quite loose, as if I wear it tight enough to function as an actual brace, I feel strangled when sleeping (I hate wearing a tie and don't even like high-collared t-shirts... funny because I wore turtlenecks in the 70s).   I *can* drop my chin toward my chest... the collar is simply a gentle reminder not to.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
For the mouth guards, are we talking double guards...the ones that mold to upper and lower teeth and are joined..how does that hold your mouth closed? Any specific recommends?
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 149 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Large Increase in AHI with F20 Mask David milt 3 151 03-13-2024, 07:15 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.