Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

leak warning by cpap machine?
leak warning by cpap machine?
Hi,
I am now CPAP user since 2,5 years and I always have same problem. My large leaks are maybe 5% in average and happens nearly every night within a limited time period. Once or twice times a night, I think, when I am sleeping very good/deep so I do not recognize if the mask moves a litte, and I do not awake. I use Resmed Airsense 10 autoset and mostly dreamwear nasal mask and I am taping every night.

I wonder:
is there not any cpap machine, which alarms you, when the compensated limit of leak is reached? I think many people would like this?
If i would awake, adjust my mask, or stop breathing out of my mouth, it would solve this problem at all...?
Because the machine is registering all the leaks it should be very easy to produce such alarm?
I include the last night, which was very good from AHI and it shows clearly my (small) problem.
What do you think about this? By the way, I do NOT want to use a full-face-mask.
Christian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: leak warning by cpap machine?
I think there is a setting called Leak Alert. If the alert is like on my ASV, it's a small beeping sound that I haven't heard either because I had no leaks or I was asleep. Note that I did try it out 2 years ago and deemed it not helpful to me.

With your reasonable leak rate you should be OK. If it is disrupting sleep then try a mask readjustment.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Christian. Your leak rate is nothing to be concerned about at all. In fact, a 5% leak rate on average is an excellent statistic. The machine is EASILY able to compensate for a small leak rate like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2019, 12:45 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I think there is a setting called Leak Alert. If the alert is like on my ASV, it's a small beeping sound that I haven't heard either because I had no leaks or I was asleep.

Hi,
thank you. This is only in the Aircurve 10 possible. I checked the clinical guide just now, it says:
Options: Leak Alert Enable / disable the Leak Alert feature. When enabled, leaks >40 L/min (0.7 L/s) for >20 sec result in an audible alert and a high leak message is displayed. Off / On 

Unfortunately this is not available in the normal Airsense 10 autoset clinical guide. So not possilbe for me.
Anyway, thank you very much...
Best regards, Christian
Post Reply Post Reply
Christian, you have a well-controlled AHI and if you are sleeping through the leaks, then that is probably better than arousing to make mask adjustments and try to fall back to sleep. There are other ways we might be able to minimize leaks rather than rely on an alarm. The objective of therapy is to minimize respiratory events and minimize sleep disruptions. An alarm does the opposite. Using aids like a soft cervical collar, chin support, or other comfortable means to encourage the jaw to stay closed is probably about all you need.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Christian,
Even though you are taping your mouth every night, your jaw must still be dropping somewhat to allow some leaks.  This appears to be happening when you are in deep sleep, otherwise you would wake up.  

You could continue to tape, but add a soft cervical collar, one that will allow your jaw to have a place to rest so that it will not drop when you are sleeping so soundly and allow air to escape.

With that said, your leak rate is minor and is not enough to affect the machines ability to do its job.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest you try a full face mask and see if it gives you a better night's sleep. Your leak rate does rise high enough at times to be interfering with your sleep (even though you may have no awareness or memory of it).
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@ all: thank you for your suggestions + tips!
You are right, my problems seems to be minor, but I am always trying to improve!
I tried so many full-face masks, i am not happy with all of them. I like my dreamwear nasal.
I tried the collars, the straps and i think most of all other available aids.
I thank you very much for your inputs and shall follow whats coming new... Thanks
Best regards
Chris from sunny vienna, Austria
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2019, 06:52 AM)christian4870 Wrote: I tried so many full-face masks, i am not happy with all of them.

A lot of new masks have come out in recent years, plus we change as the years go by. Maybe some day you'll give it another try.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 91 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 309 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 629 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.