Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

leaking
Question 
leaking
I'm wondering if leaking is a problem, in and of itself?

My AHI is about 1. I am using an Amara View and just starting using liners. The liners increase my comfort, but don't seem to reduce leaks. I'm not bothered by noise or anything. My sleep quality is still not that great, but there's alot of reasons for this. So I don't know if I should try to reduce leaks or not. I don't think leaking is waking me up, but there's no way to know for sure.

Here's a screenshot from sleepyhead.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: leaking
Leaking can be a problem, but isn't necessary.

First, a problem to me, is anything that reduces my sleep quality. If the leaking is noisy and keeps waking my up, it's a problem - you said it doesn't bother you, so that part is not a problem.

Second, if the machine needs to raise the pressure higher to prevent apneas from happening, and can't because of the amount of leakage the pump in the machine can not keep up, that is a problem because it results in more apneas. From your screen shot that does not appear to be a problem.

Third, if the machine is "confused" by the leaks into not recognizing apneas or mistaking CA's and OA's, so that it then takes inappropriate actions based on this mistaken identification, that is a problem. Since your AHI is excellent, that is not a problem.

Fourth if the leaking noise bothers your partner so they occasionally reach over and smack you while you are trying to sleep - that is a problem. Since you didn't mention it, I assume that is not a problem Smile

So, leaks are not a problem in and of themselves (as far as I know). In general people seem to try to reduce them as much as possible, but we shouldn't lose sight of the goal - which is high quality sleep. Not just non-arousals, but non-interruption of deep and REM sleep. If you are achieving those goals and you are feeling better, then I would consider the leak to be not a problem. If you are not feeling rested, then I would try to address the leak, since everything else appears fairly good. (Of course you partner could be smacking you and you just don't remember Smile )
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Monikah123!

Wondering if you find your mask is now comfortable with the liners as that is why you starting using liners? Also have you tried other masks prior to obtaining the Amara View? Are you a mouth breather at night?

A lot of us like the nasal pillow type masks and can get leaks down to near nil with them. Some with mouth breathing issues use chin straps to assist with that.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2016, 01:25 AM)monikah123 Wrote: I'm wondering if leaking is a problem, in and of itself?

My AHI is about 1. I am using an Amara View and just starting using liners. The liners increase my comfort, but don't seem to reduce leaks. I'm not bothered by noise or anything. My sleep quality is still not that great, but there's alot of reasons for this. So I don't know if I should try to reduce leaks or not. I don't think leaking is waking me up, but there's no way to know for sure.

yes, your leaks are a problem, though it's impossible to tell how much of a problem since you cut off most of the useful information in the chart, please post full screenshots, not cut and pasted bits, but all those grayed out areas are excessive leaks.

excessive leaks reduce the ability of the machine to differentiate between obstructive and centrals apneas, and thus reduce it's ability to respond properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2016, 05:19 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: So, leaks are not a problem in and of themselves (as far as I know). In general people seem to try to reduce them as much as possible, but we shouldn't lose sight of the goal - which is high quality sleep. Not just non-arousals, but non-interruption of deep and REM sleep. If you are achieving those goals and you are feeling better, then I would consider the leak to be not a problem. If you are not feeling rested, then I would try to address the leak, since everything else appears fairly good. (Of course you partner could be smacking you and you just don't remember Smile )

Thank you. That's very helpful. The last 3 issues are definitely not a problem.

Number 1 I'm not so sure about. I definitely sleep better without the mask so I'm not sure if the leaking is waking me up. It's been 2 months and I'm still tired all the time. My sleep schedule is all over the place and I often don't get enough sleep overall, so I can't tell exactly what the therapy is doing.
(05-18-2016, 07:05 AM)cate1898 Wrote: Welcome to the forum Monikah123!

Wondering if you find your mask is now comfortable with the liners as that is why you starting using liners? Also have you tried other masks prior to obtaining the Amara View? Are you a mouth breather at night?

A lot of us like the nasal pillow type masks and can get leaks down to near nil with them. Some with mouth breathing issues use chin straps to assist with that.

Yes, I got the liners because I thought it would make the mask more comfortable. I also thought they would reduce leaks, but they don't seem to have.

Yes, I've spent the last 2 months trying other masks. I tried the Simplus and the F10 and a nasal mask. I've got the Quattro on order. Yes, I am a mouth breather. I've tried the nasal masks but I can't stand them even for a few minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2016, 01:59 PM)palerider Wrote: yes, your leaks are a problem, though it's impossible to tell how much of a problem since you cut off most of the useful information in the chart, please post full screenshots, not cut and pasted bits, but all those grayed out areas are excessive leaks.

excessive leaks reduce the ability of the machine to differentiate between obstructive and centrals apneas, and thus reduce it's ability to respond properly.

My screen's pretty small so I had to take several screenshots to get it all. Here we go.

[Image: 27116534105_89b12ce388_b.jpg]

[Image: 26512593883_6993c49467_b.jpg]

[Image: 27116533705_8b815b00b6_b.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
Here's how to arrange the charts so that they give the most info in the least space... http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

and, yes, your leaks are quite bad, so bad that the machine would not be able to tell what kind of an apnea you have during those periods. at times they may be bad enough to compromise therapy pressure, though only briefly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using the F10 full face mask for 4 months and was perfect until the silicon seal where the elbow connects to the mask developed a small crack. When I get to a certain sleep position during the night, the mask would leak at the elbow.
I have fixed the leak by adding a small piece cylindrical robber cut from a long balloon. I slipped the balloon cutting onto the elbow (the side that goes into the mask) and pushed the rubber piece against the end stop. When inserted into the mask, the rubber piece sealed the air leak and still allows some rotational movement for the elbow. I hope this works for you as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not sure about the AutoSet but many Resmed models do not attempt to calculate the AHI during periods of high leak. Or as Philips puts it: Large Leak is the percentage of
time that the mask leak was so high that it is no longer possible for the device to identify respiratory events with statistical accuracy

Your leaks were in the large leak category for 78% of the time, meaning your AHI readings are essentially meaningless. Nobody knows what your real AHI was. So yes, you do need to do something about the leaks, as they are preventing your machine from treating your apnea properly.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2016, 03:31 AM)Michael Chan Wrote: I have been using the F10 full face mask for 4 months and was perfect until the silicon seal where the elbow connects to the mask developed a small crack. When I get to a certain sleep position during the night, the mask would leak at the elbow.
I have fixed the leak by adding a small piece cylindrical robber cut from a long balloon. I slipped the balloon cutting onto the elbow (the side that goes into the mask) and pushed the rubber piece against the end stop. When inserted into the mask, the rubber piece sealed the air leak and still allows some rotational movement for the elbow. I hope this works for you as well.

I'm a new user so I'm not sure this is my problem. I could be wrong, but I think it's leaking from the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 342 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 565 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,460 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 520 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirFit F30i is leaking and I don't know what to do NoddingHacker 7 2,321 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: sttebr
  Good AHI and good oxygen levels - CPAP Leaking yp390 1 499 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.